Help! High protein/high carb diet advice

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Help! High protein/high carb diet advice

Postby ILMB » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 am

There seem to be a lot of forum members with good nutritional knowledge, and I would appreciate any advice.

My partner has just been discharged from hospital after 3 difficult months. Very, very underweight and lost most muscle. Major healing is burning through calorie intake. He has mouth ulcers and can only manage pureed foods. Anything acidic such as tomatoes or fresh fruits (even bananas!) are out.

Hospital advises high protein / high carb diet. Our normal diet is low calorie, strongly mediterranean influenced with lots of vegetables.

I'm struggling to rethink my normal catering skills. Need to find a way to increase calorie and protein intake without adding too much bulk, as he is struggling to get through the volumes needed to supply the calories needed. We haven't been given a calorie target which also makes it confusing. What would be a good target?

Currently adding yoghurt, full cream milk, Sustagen, 2Cal, custard, ice cream, honey.

TIA
ILMB

by BNA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm

BNA

Re: Help! High protein/high carb diet advice

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I am in no way a nutritional expert but could I suggest energy and nutrient dense food such as ground nuts/peanut butter, avocados, eggs, cheese, and good quality minced meat.
I realise these foods aren't normally pureed but they are smooth in texture.
Maybe pumpkin soup, made with a cream base.
My Mum has cancer and has very little appetite for solid foods. She drinks a product called Resource, made by Nestle. A bit like Sustagen, packed with supplementary vitamins, minerals, carbs and proteins.

http://www.nestlehealthscience.com.au/products/resource%C2%AE-2

Sorry, not much help but just a few ideas to get the ball rolling.
Tim

Postby matagi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Sustagen Hospital Formula - available at pharmacies (different from the stuff you buy in the supermarket). Designed for this application. It comes in chocolate, vanilla or neutral flavour.

Did the hospital not hook you up with a dietician?
matagi

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Even if you mentioned the condition your partner was in hospital for 3 mths with, it still wouldn't be enough info.
I'd strongly suggest you collect your medical records, and take them to a private dietitian, preferably one with sports dietitian quals as these help them calculate energy expenditure better.

For a start though, make sure your partner is drinking enough water regularly throughout the day, and tries to relax (both necessary to avoid dry mouth, a primary cause for chronic ulcers)
winstonw

Postby ILMB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks for responses thus far.

Yes, we were linked up with a dietician, and the recommendation is for 2Cal & Sustagen supplements. Were also given a diet sheet suggesting nuts, legumes, diary, fruit juices rather than water/tea/coffee, avos.

The mouth ulcers are a symptom of his condition, and the typical recovery outlook is months to years.

I guess what I am hoping for are variable, tasty, non-acidic food combos to which things like protein powder and Sustagen neutral can be added.

Even slow cooked good quality mince has to be blitzed as the texture is too rough.

Most of my efforts to-date ended up looking like something the dog sicked up after they were blitzed. Tried blitzing individual ingredients e.g. meat & 3 veg, and the added powders then became too prominent in the flavours or too gluggy.
ILMB

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Coconut butter... can't remember the reasons, but it is super easy to digest, very high in calories, my Dad loved the stuff in smoothies when he was sick.
toolonglegs

Postby matagi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 pm

The only things I can think of that would look palatable with sustagen neutral added would be things like soups or pureed vegetables. Maybe custards. Or fools (basically pureed fruit mixed with cream).

If you're going to puree meat, maybe add a dark coloured gravy to add some visual appeal or if you have the time to prepare them, jellied stocks - which you can put on top as a garnish (and for extra flavour)

As far as calorie intake, go as high as you can without making him feel sick, he will be chewing through the calories just healing.
matagi

Return to Cycling Health