TAC questions

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

TAC questions

Postby andione1983 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 am

Hi guys.. sorry to say, myself and another cyclist collided on friday evening around a blind corner on eastlink bike track, Thanks to those passing cyclists who helped..
I cannot remember much about the incident apart from trying to take evasive action, and obviously hit something, so been in hossy for the last two nights, broken nose, fractured cheek, damaged teeth..
Certainly makes you realize the dangers involved with even cycling..
Haven't looked at my bike yet, i know the other guys bike had a broken fork..
My question is (i wont be able to call TAC till tomorrow) but do you know if they cover cyclist/cyclist injuries?
or does it HAVE to include a car? also do they cover Bike track? Eastlink?
You would think surely the insurance would cover cyclists riding to work etc?
Just got home feeling a tad fortunate as the impact could have given me or the other guy spinal injuries or worse.
He was rather lucky to just have concussion..
Road Bike - 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93
MTB - Boardman Team Pro 2013
andione1983

by BNA » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 am

BNA

Re: TAC questions

Postby macca33 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 am

I would not think that TAC covers bicycle collisions - unless they are struck by a motor vehicle on a highway. Sorry to hear you've had a crash mate, get well soon.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 - Ultegra6700 | CAAD10 Team - DA7800

macca33

Postby nezumi » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm

If you were riding home from work, then ensure you call work and inform them first thing tomorrow. You may be covered under workcover if it was solely a trip home.

I know my work requests that all incidents be reported ASAP, preferably in 24 hours, and that this covers travel to and from home.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby ado » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi andione1983,

I'm the cyclist you collied with. Sorry to hear about the broken nose, cheek and teeth but am relieved to hear that you didn't get any spinal injuries.

My thanks as well to the passing cyclists who helped and the wonderful team of paramedics.

I have absolutely no recollection of the incident, so if I made a stupid mistake, I'm really sorry. All I know is the cycling app on my phone has me going from 20km/h to 0km/h real suddenly. I didn't notice any damage to your bike except unfortunately your Garmin screen was pretty cracked.

Get well soon!
ado

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 pm

ado wrote:Hi andione1983,

I'm the cyclist you collied with. Sorry to hear about the broken nose, cheek and teeth but am relieved to hear that you didn't get any spinal injuries.

My thanks as well to the passing cyclists who helped and the wonderful team of paramedics.

I have absolutely no recollection of the incident, so if I made a stupid mistake, I'm really sorry. All I know is the cycling app on my phone has me going from 20km/h to 0km/h real suddenly. I didn't notice any damage to your bike except unfortunately your Garmin screen was pretty cracked.

Get well soon!

Nice work on joining and replying. I like this thread. The The injuries sustained are cringe worthy mind you.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby SuperSix » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 pm

No. Unfortunately you won't be covered by TAC as no registered vehicle was involved. You will also not be covered by work cover as it does not cover commuting. I hear that work cover used to cover to and from work travel but this is no longer the case.
This is my opinion and not legal advice.
SuperSix

Postby TraceyG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 am

TAC only applies if a registered vehicle is involved, even if you only swerved to avoid being hit. Sounds like you are out of luck in this instance.

Are you a member of Bicycle Network Victoria or have any sort of bicycle insurance?

Best wishes to both riders for speedy recoveries and return to riding!
TraceyG

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 am

ado wrote:Hi andione1983,

Get well soon!

Ouch - bad luck for both of you. Hope you both mend quickly. Sounds like one hell of a prang. :shock:

Really good of you to join and reply. Thumbs up!

andione1983 wrote:You would think surely the insurance would cover cyclists riding to work etc?

Your workcover might (edit - no it doesn't anymore). Hope you get well soon.
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am

SuperSix wrote:No. Unfortunately you won't be covered by TAC as no registered vehicle was involved. You will also not be covered by work cover as it does not cover commuting. I hear that work cover used to cover to and from work travel but this is no longer the case.
This is my opinion and not legal advice.

+1, from what I recall this is correct, workcover does not apply to travel to/from work anymore. IANAL of course. See here (edit: and here) re TAC eligibility, which wont cover you either IMO.

Glad to hear the injuries arent as bad as they could have been!
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby clackers » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Get well, both. Good to see people being civil to each other despite all their pain and inconvenience. An example to the rest of us.
clackers

Return to Cycling Health