My girlfriend getting too thin?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
durianrider

My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby durianrider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm

The gf (FreeleeTheBananaGirl) lost a stack of weight following some basic dietary switches (more carbs, less fat and protein) and dropped a STACK of weight. Now she is really lean the question is 'well won't she waste away?'. Thats where training in moderation comes into it. She only rides 1-3hours a week on average and works sedentary job behind a computer all day so her weight has stabilized at a healthy weight.

So for the people out there worried about getting 'too thin', just back the cardio right off when you reach that point and keep stuffing your face with healthy carbs as per usual.

For those curious, yes the Giant Avail is still going strong. Great bike and really well engineered. Great to see designers putting compact cranks on bikes out of the box so better climbing cadence can be attained. The asian bike companies really making incredible product in 2013. Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.

Last edited by durianrider on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegan since 2001.

winstonw

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 pm

I don't think too many of us are concerned about getting too thin DR. :) lots of members took up cycling to try and deal with chronic overweightness. :)

some good pro vegetable Ted Talks here
http://blog.ted.com/2012/08/09/10-talks ... egetables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the one about starving cancer by eating vegetables in profound, as is the one by Dr Wahl who recommends eating 9 cups of vegetables a day.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 pm

9 cups of veggies a day? Id be STARVING lol! Better make that literally 30 cups of fruit and veg a day as a baseline. :)

Those TED talks are interesting. Great to see the cutting edge in science promoting a high carb, low fat plant based diet for peak health and weight loss. I gotta admit, as a glutton, Im glad I can eat all I want over the last decade and do minimal training to stay light on the climbs. Im so lazy than any extra kills my climbing mood.
Vegan since 2001.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 am

Are there many Pro Team Riders who eat like this?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:16 am

no vegan pro team riders afaik. if there was, i am sure they'd tell you.....like the line "How do you know if someone is a vegan?"

they'll tell you. :)

as far as eating more vege and fruit, yep they certainly eat more than the majority of recreational riders, and favor rice over wheat based starches.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 am

thecaptn wrote:Are there many Pro Team Riders who eat like this?
I get to train with many pro tour teams each Jan during TDU. We stop at cafes and talk. Every year the awareness on how a high carb, fruit based vegan diet aids weight loss and cycling performance is more known. Thing is though, you can get the same effects by taking legal medications like testosterone,cortisone, salbutamol, thyroid meds, dexies etc. Its just not longterm though or good for your health. A minority of athletes wishing to extend their careers are playing with diet and 1000% of pro cyclists are weight conscious.

Its like carbon bikes and wheels in 2000. People were like: "Carbon? lol! Thats what fishing rods are made out of! not bicycles!". In 2000 I only saw about 5 riders using power meters in the TDU. Now its more like 95% using power meters. I don't like to follow trends, I like to get in before it becomes a trend.

Is there any pro teams that are 100% clean of taking various drug products to increase performance be it legal or illegal? No way. Never has and never will be.

I know Froome plays with this diet when he is focusing on big races. You can tell cos he has less friction in his legs during the tour than other races. Thats what I experience as well. Lance ate this way when doing big races where he had to be as skinny as possible but as powerful as possible. Of course no natural diet is going to take place of PED's but they are being used in assistance of them. Marginal gains always add up. Its all about watts per kg at the end of the day. If you can eat a way that reduces excess fat and sodium retention you gain performance right there. If you can take products that boost natural body function and recovery, you gain performance right there. Ive a mutal friend with Lance and thats Rip Esselstyn. He coached Lance for years on eating this way.

Pro athletes don't like to do things for ethical reasons so they just keep it on the low down if they eat a high carb vegan diet for 10 months of the year. Timothy Bradley the pro boxer is an exception though, he is pretty open about it as is strongman Patrick. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/09 ... _fest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegan since 2001.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:16 pm

They keep it on the low down? Man I'm pretty sure I was listening to Vinnie Tortorich laughing his arse off at you last week.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:16 pm

If asked, I'd say about halfway between a and b would be pretty close to an ideal number but b this thread isn't about the young lady in questions external appearance is it...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Parker wrote:They keep it on the low down? Man I'm pretty sure I was listening to Vinnie Tortorich laughing his arse off at you last week.
People laughing is often no real reason for concern. For example, I've been mocked for running a disc brake on my road bike. Doubt too many will be laughing in the future though.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Hard to tell - can you post more, bigger pics? :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm

It must be like being part of a cult or fanatical religious group when people feel the need to spread the good word like this.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm

winstonw wrote:no vegan pro team riders afaik. if there was, i am sure they'd tell you.....like the line "How do you know if someone is a vegan?"

they'll tell you. :)

as far as eating more vege and fruit, yep they certainly eat more than the majority of recreational riders, and favor rice over wheat based starches.
Levi is vegan IIRC... but then he also was a doper so who knows.
GF too thin... well if everything is still working as it should then not too thin, my wife was pretty thin at 50kgs 176cm... she managed to have twins "easily" enough... but did weigh over 90 kgs in the 39th week :shock: .
PS ... don't forget the debacle that was Linda McCartney Racing Team.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 pm

winstonw wrote: some good pro vegetable Ted Talks here
http://blog.ted.com/2012/08/09/10-talks ... egetables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the one about starving cancer by eating vegetables in profound
+1 - Thanks for the link winstonw - that's quite a profound idea, albeit not solely about
vegetables. And TED is quite an interesting web site Too.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 pm

wombatK wrote:
winstonw wrote: some good pro vegetable Ted Talks here
the one about starving cancer by eating vegetables in profound
+1 - Thanks for the link winstonw - that's quite a profound idea, albeit not solely about
vegetables. And TED is quite an interesting web site Too.
thx Wombat. a good friend who had a lumpectomy a few years ago got the shocking news last week that it's back....and now needs a mastectomy, minimum!
we can argue diet back and forth here re sports performance, but when it's life and death.....!

the doctor that gave that talk was a notch above imo. I started a PhD in bio sciences years ago, and his thinking resonates as outside the conventional, and inspired. I'll follow him with interest. It's a simple and very elegant approach.

the decades of reading I've done into nutrition and morbidity back Durian's general plant based stance, which is why I cut him slack on the delivery... :D

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Styrations, bro.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 pm

winstonw wrote: the decades of reading I've done into nutrition and morbidity back Durian's general plant based stance, which is why I cut him slack on the delivery... :D
My diet closely resembles Durian's eating habits. I turned 60 this year and I feel better than ever. I've been vegetarian since 1973 and a vegan since 2000.

My favourite book is Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond...

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-For-Life-eboo ... t+for+life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love eating and I love being slender. I could never eat this way if I did not enjoy doing so.

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 pm

I totally don't get the point of your post. Is it to put up pics of your gf or is there a point?

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Parker wrote:They keep it on the low down? Man I'm pretty sure I was listening to Vinnie Tortorich laughing his arse off at you last week.
Vinne lives on a deprivation diet of NO SUGAR NO GRAINS! lol! That means no sweets, no pasta, no fruits EVER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!

Vinnie just got out of the cancer ward. I did a podcast with Rich Roll and addressed that situation recently. I don't care if Vinnie cracks a vegan joke but he just had cancer so really needs to look at ways to boost his immune system with dietary choices. Thinking one can live on bacon and cream and have good health is delusional at best.

Ive debunked Vinnies claims on many of my youtube vids if you do a search on youtube - Vinnie Tortorich debunked. Or just type his name into youtube and my video ranks 2nd.
Vegan since 2001.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 pm

durianrider wrote:
Vinne lives on a deprivation diet of NO SUGAR NO GRAINS! lol! That means no sweets, no pasta, no fruits EVER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!

Vinnie just got out of the cancer ward. I did a podcast with Rich Roll and addressed that situation recently. I don't care if Vinnie cracks a vegan joke but he just had cancer so really needs to look at ways to boost his immune system with dietary choices. Thinking one can live on bacon and cream and have good health is delusional at best.

Ive debunked Vinnies claims on many of my youtube vids if you do a search on youtube - Vinnie Tortorich debunked.
When Vinnie says no sugar he means added sugar. He eats fruit. He did not JUST GET OUT of the cancer ward. He had cancer a few years back and part of the reason he limits sugar as he believes cancer cells feed on sugar which there is some science behind, although not conclusive. Vinnie has stated plenty of times that vegetables are very important for phytonutrients amongst other things and some fruit depending on how you deal with them, in fact there are plenty of vegans that listen to his show.

Do some research before you start having a crack at other people. Like your cracks at Ben Greenfield saying you would smoke him, guy went sub 10 at Kona, finished top 10 in his age group at Hawaii 70.3, but because he is not on Strava he doesn't exist in your world.

Never seen you actually debunk anything with facts on you youtube rant videos.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Toolish wrote:Never seen you actually debunk anything with facts on you youtube rant videos.
Don't look, that's what he wants...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:58 am

melbnut wrote:I totally don't get the point of your post. Is it to put up pics of your gf or is there a point?
trolling is the point

EDIT: actually, that's not strictly true in this case it is to get attention
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 am

This has nothing to do with the mix of Protein, Carbs, Fat etc, its to do with calorie deflect.

You can loose weight eating McDonalds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 am

mikesbytes wrote:You can loose weight eating McDonalds.
This is positively true AND lots of it.

Straight outta yer blort after the second graymeat mcnugget...
London Boy 29/12/2011

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:You can loose weight eating McDonalds.
This is positively true AND lots of it.

Straight outta yer blort after the second graymeat mcnugget...
Coffee. Spat. I needed to clean my desk anyway.... :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

When Vinnie says no sugar he means added sugar. He eats fruit. He did not JUST GET OUT of the cancer ward. He had cancer a few years back and part of the reason he limits sugar as he believes cancer cells feed on sugar which there is some science behind, although not conclusive. Vinnie has stated plenty of times that vegetables are very important for phytonutrients amongst other things and some fruit depending on how you deal with them, in fact there are plenty of vegans that listen to his show.

Do some research before you start having a crack at other people. Like your cracks at Ben Greenfield saying you would smoke him, guy went sub 10 at Kona, finished top 10 in his age group at Hawaii 70.3, but because he is not on Strava he doesn't exist in your world.

Never seen you actually debunk anything with facts on you youtube rant videos.[/quote]

You need to listen to Vinnie more. He says sugar is not essential and he only eats a handful of blue berries a day and thats it regarding sugar intake. Reality is glucose FUELS phagocytosis aka your immune system. Thats why Vinnie is breaking down as his immune system lacks the essential sugars to function properly. If sugar = cancer and Vinne doesnt eat sugar, how come he got cancer if his diet is so healthy?

Im doing a podcast with Ben this weekend. He ate high carb for his events and in training for them. Please explain.

Just put up a vid where Im out training in the hills with Andy Schlek, Greipel and the crew. What low carber would have enough energy to do that? I post my exact diet, wattage and training online to be transparent. To be an example for those that want a healthy drug free example. Take it or leave it. Your life, do what you want with it.
Vegan since 2001.