My girlfriend getting too thin?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 pm

simonn wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:More Evidence Why BMI Alone Should Not Guide Medical Decision Making

http://www.drsharma.ca/more-evidence-why-bmi-alone-should-not-guide-medical-decision-making.html


Who Is Saying That BMI Alone Should Be A Guide To Medical Decision Making

There is a lot more in the article than that. Did you read it or just read the headline and dismiss it? I would comment on what is in the article but I feel I am not qualified to do so because I don't have a medical degree. :wink:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

by BNA » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

BNA
 

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

sogood wrote:LOL! Desperation. No medico would make decisions by a single test indicator, but would always seek corroborating and potential contrary evidences that are relevant to a set of circumstance.

Is that all you got out of that article? Nothing about BMI at all?
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Is my girlfriend getting too hot?... she's going to dump me for some protein eating muscle man :| .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:13 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Is my girlfriend getting too hot?... she's going to dump me for some protein eating muscle man :| .

2LL, I'd thought that'll depends on what your wife has to say on the subject! Just be careful. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17013
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Is my girlfriend getting too hot?... she's going to dump me for some protein eating muscle man :| .


Ill fix the link later when im not on my phone...

edit: fixed



Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm

<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby matagi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Did anyone see Catalyst tonight?

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

As a pharmacy student (back in the late 80s) I remember sitting in my biochemistry lectures about the synthesis of cholesterol thinking we should eat less sugar.
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby ball bearing » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:12 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Did anyone see Catalyst tonight?

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

I ditched polyunsaturated oils years ago. Coconut oil for this kid.
ball bearing
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Watching the ships on the Southern Ocean

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 am

ball bearing wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Did anyone see Catalyst tonight?

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

I ditched polyunsaturated oils years ago. Coconut oil for this kid.

Cool - where do you pick your coconuts ? :)

I watched Catalyst and nothing there surprises me, especially wrt the dodgy studies and data manipulation/cherry-picking etc. Also the role of big business, especially agri-business and big-pharma, in the commodification and medicalisation of food/diet/health is always a double-edged sword.

I think there is way more scope now to directly investigate physiological and metabolic mechanisms (eg. what causes inflammation, role of cholesterol etc) than there was 40-50 years ago and this contemporary evidence should be given appropriate weight in any discussions.

FWIW the one time I have drastically altered my weight was in the arly 80s when we took on dietary changes based on, but not slavishly following, the Pritikin principles of proper, fresh, unprocessed food with more carbs and less fat and protein. I lost about 6-7kgs over about 3-5 months. I certainly felt much better overall but I suspect the main reason for he weight loss was the reduction of sugar and salt in the daily intake by reducing processed food, cake, biscuits, soft drinks etc and the complete elimination of any added sugar and salt.

I'm not sure where the Pritikin thinking is these days, but it has probably altered since then.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
User avatar
cyclotaur
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby ball bearing » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 am

cyclotaur wrote:
ball bearing wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Did anyone see Catalyst tonight?

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

I ditched polyunsaturated oils years ago. Coconut oil for this kid.

Cool - where do you pick your coconuts ? :)


Banaban http://www.naturepacific.com/


I watched Catalyst and nothing there surprises me, especially wrt the dodgy studies and data manipulation/cherry-picking etc. Also the role of big business, especially agri-business and big-pharma, in the commodification and medicalisation of food/diet/health is always a double-edged sword.


I learned long ago that the misinformation and FUD is often a device to keep the cash rolling in for the few mega-corporations that own just about everything. Swimming against the tide has never been something that worries me.

They make money off of us, especially when we are sick, or well, or whatever....

"The Four Companies That Control the 147 Companies That Own Everything"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brendancoff ... verything/
ball bearing
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Watching the ships on the Southern Ocean

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 am

ball bearing wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:Cool - where do you pick your coconuts ? :)

Banaban http://www.naturepacific.com/

Following a tip off from an overseas friend last year, I discovered that Costco stocks coconut oil. Far cheaper than elsewhere. They are very good for use in cakes and other deserts. Then looked further in consideration for use as a general home cooking replacement for olive oil, it ain't that simple. We kept our olive oil.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17013
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:37 pm

sogood wrote:
ball bearing wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:Cool - where do you pick your coconuts ? :)

Banaban http://www.naturepacific.com/

Following a tip off from an overseas friend last year, I discovered that Costco stocks coconut oil. Far cheaper than elsewhere. They are very good for use in cakes and other deserts. Then looked further in consideration for use as a general home cooking replacement for olive oil, it ain't that simple. We kept our olive oil.

I did the same thing. I tried out coconut oil as a general home cooking replacement for olive oil with some good results but found it on the expensive side. I've gone back to olive oil too for general home cooking.

The reading I have done indicates olive oil is good if the cooking isn't too hot - the oil should stay below it's smoke point. Coconut oil is better for high heat cooking but at the end of the day, do you need to cook your food that hot? I have found that I don't.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby winstonw » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 pm

It's interesting Catalyst ignored that a very low fat (saturated and unsaturated) diet is the only diet proven to reverse arthersclerosis/heart disease.
Also interesting that the highest anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant food stuffs are plants.

And in defense of Govt backed dietary guidelines, I don't recall ever that they've recommended eating more refined carbs.
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I use one table spoon of olive oil for about 10 meal portions spread between me and my hot skinny wife :D ... I can live with that ( and her ) :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm not medically/nutritionally trained at all. :| So I'm just going on what I've read/heard/seen and hopefully understood.

From what I understood from the Catalyst episode, it has not actually been shown that cholesterol in the diet (or even naturally high cholesterol) is a causative factor in CHD. Contemporary views are that inflammation (and other conditions such as insulin resistance, metabolic disorders, diabetes, obesity etc) is caused and/or exacerbated by high refined carbs/sugars in modern western diets, and this is (somehow) a more likely causative factor in CHD

And, according to winstonw (who would probably know) and other stuff I've read, it has been shown that that a very low fat (saturated and unsaturated) diet is the only diet proven to reverse arthersclerosis/heart disease, irrespective of the cause.

If that's all correct, then getting back to good fresh whole foods, including lean(ish) meat/poultry etc, and reducing refined carbs and eliminating added sugar seems a reasonable way to go.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
User avatar
cyclotaur
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Nobody
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby skull » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I use one table spoon of olive oil for about 10 meal portions spread between me and my hot skinny wife :D ... I can live with that ( and her ) :mrgreen:


Like Durianrider and his GF, you may have to stick photos of your wife up. Just for scientific analysis. 8)
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

This stuff gives me the squirts big time! You try and do everything right and look after yourself and then the guru's move the goal posts on you :x every 5-10 years the commonly held "knowledge" does a 180deg turn. You can't win
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 pm

thecaptn wrote:This stuff gives me the squirts big time! You try and do everything right and look after yourself and then the guru's move the goal posts on you :x every 5-10 years the commonly held "knowledge" does a 180deg turn. You can't win

Can call anything that lasts 5-10 years a fad.

So don't do fad and go back to the basics. Balanced diet, cross train in exercises, outdoor activities for sunshine, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. That's all. These haven't changed for a long long time and will unlikely to change till we colonise space.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17013
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 am

I'd bet most people are unfamiliar with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
Those who follow them closely would very unlikely have weight issues.

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/pu ... 131014.pdf

Their only room for improvement imho are to offer portion guides for people of varying activity levels.
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 pm

winstonw wrote:I'd bet most people are unfamiliar with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
Those who follow them closely would very unlikely have weight issues.

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/pu ... 131014.pdf

Their only room for improvement imho are to offer portion guides for people of varying activity levels.

I like how they use waist circumference as well. Although, I'm not sure I agree that "Most Australians need more Grain (cereal) foods". People already seem to eat a lot of refined grains. Seems like there is some sensible advice in the guidelines though.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby scotto » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 am

afm
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:55 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
winstonw wrote:I'd bet most people are unfamiliar with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
Those who follow them closely would very unlikely have weight issues.

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/pu ... 131014.pdf

Their only room for improvement imho are to offer portion guides for people of varying activity levels.

I like how they use waist circumference as well. Although, I'm not sure I agree that "Most Australians need more Grain (cereal) foods". People already seem to eat a lot of refined grains. Seems like there is some sensible advice in the guidelines though.


yeah I hate how they say "most Australians need more / less ".

a decade ago, the US guidelines set out the number of serves of each food group for varying energy intakes. It was the least ambiguous guide I'd ever seen...then they canned it and put up something equally as fuzzy as ours.

I suppose they are trying to be inclusive of all ethnic diets....

For the money the govt spends on the guidelines and health promotion, I think they could do a hell of a lot better, esp for people who need more prescriptive guidance, which is probably a high percentage of those with weight issues.
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby simonn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm

winstonw wrote:I suppose they are trying to be inclusive of all ethnic diets....


I think it more likely that they do not want to upset powerful wheat interests.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

winstonw wrote:For the money the govt spends on the guidelines and health promotion, I think they could do a hell of a lot better, esp for people who need more prescriptive guidance, which is probably a high percentage of those with weight issues.

Agreed. Although there is some great nutritional advice in the guidelines, I hazard a guess that most Australians would not bother to take the time to read them. I think the WA "live lighter" campaign has been pretty good. How effective it is remains to be seen but I have my doubts. One issue for the government is that they have limited $$$ to spend on promotion vs. multi-million spent by food giants. The govt. is up against extremely pervasive marketing that normalises snacking on virtually nutritionless energy-dense "foods" and constantly and pervasively links food and "reward" (especially virtually nutritionless energy-dense "foods"). The marketing of these hyper-palatable "foods" even brags about how addictive they are "once you pop you can't stop" and creates a "need" for these types of junk, "helps you work, rest and play", "adds life". The ads targeting children are even worse. You will be popular in the playground if you take x product to school in your lunchbox. Against marketing like that in terms of scope, volume and $$$ spent, the got doesn't stand a chance.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/7160201_The_weighty_issue_of_Australian_television_food_advertising_and_childhood_obesity/file/d912f511c42e8a7134.pdf
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit