Food allergies

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Food allergies

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:16 am

I have struggled for the last 8 years with 50kg of weight gain and been yoyo-ing ever since.
On Monday night I ended up in the ER scratching myself till I bled from several spots, some of which should never bleed for any reason. I was so bad that the nurses actually had to cover me in antacid to relive the itching, and I was dosed up for the stomach cramps as well as Polaramine and Phenefgen. Needless to say I slept from 4am yesterday until 9pm last night and then till 5am this morning after being awake for an hour.
Last week with the itching getting worse my wife and I went to a local GP who ran some basic alletgen tests. I came back positive to wheat, corn, rice and one other that I've forgotten. I now have a 98% chance of an adverse reaction to eggs.
Further tests (skin prick) now need to be conducted by a Greenslopes immunologist ASAP and a long course of injections are on the cards together with an incredibly strict diet and I'll have to buy an Epi-pen after having had tingling lips and tongue a couple of times recently.
At the moment the best guess is that I have been bitten by ticks on two occasions with my intolerances ramping up each time. I'm a physical wreck today.
Has anyone else actually developed similarly over time to this point? The prospect of anaphylaxis is just alot stressing for us at the moment.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

by BNA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm

BNA

Re: Food allergies

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Jeez Womble, sucks to be you at the moment.:shock:

I have developed reactions to raw peanuts, raw oysters and bee and wasp stings. If I'm stung I need to act quickly but I don't get to the same point with the food but do get violently ill.:twisted:

Both reactions happened over time for some reason.:?

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 pm

I can't eat bee stings either :(

The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I can't eat bee stings either :(

They should be all right if cooked into a kitten and unicorn risotto...

Seriously Dave, I'm really sorry to hear about this. You and your GLW have been copping the nasty end of a very dirty stick lately. :(

As penance, I promise to back off on the FB stirring and NOT repost that pic of you in stillettos.

Stay strong mate.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:26 pm

This is actually a good thing in a way Foo and MB. We now know I test positive for allergens and the more we know as more specific tests are carried out (rather than guess the last few years) the faster we can change things and get the old me back. My metabolism used to be a bit of a monster and I couldn't pput weight on without serious effort. I can still build muscle stupidly fast but now my metabolism has effectively ground to a halt. With a clean year ahead I hope to drop most of the weight as my body recovers. It may never return to normal, but Dad is 64 this year and is still leaner and fitter than many 20 year olds. Fingers crossed.

The 2nd Womble

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:28 am

Geez Dave - you certainly don't do things by halves!! I hope you are soon able to nail down all the nasties, eliminate them, and get back to living.

On the plus side, you can live quite successfully without wheat, corn and rice. You'll be very used to reading food labels and will no doubt give that up altogether and just eat things from the "outside" aisles of the supermarket - fruit and veg, meat, fish, dairy. There are a lot of people converting back to eating this way, myself included as I'm sick of processed food, how it makes me feel, and trying to buy something with an ingredient in it I can't eat (garlic will give me migraine and is even in mayonnaise for goodness sake!!). It's so far resulting in me losing weight and saving money already!!

It won't be easy. In fact it will be frustrating as hell especially when you eat out, but you will get through it. Knowing what the allergens are is the biggest hurdle and now you know you can put an eating strategy in place. You know you have friends here who are happy to share their own learnings and can support you when you are fed up with not being able to eat what you want when everyone else is (my boss is big on buying team pizza and selecting Indian or Thai restaurants).

I too would be scared at talk of the Epi-pen and anaphalaxix. Those pens didn't exist when I was in school and now there are 7yr old kids carrying them!! I tip my hat at anyone who needs these, young or old. There is no rest option unfortunately as you need to be constantly alert as to what you are putting in your body. Forever.

Now, I must share my learning with you :) My grandfather served in both world wars. In WW1 he was in infantry and gassed at Pachendale. In WW2 he was in intelligence and, although I don't know much about his role, one of his areas of involvement was in liberating concentration camps at the end of the war. He was a smoker and no doubt in his youth enjoyed a tipple. Towards the end of his life he suffered emphysema and was on oxygen. When talking about his health, he'd say "if this is all I have to put up with then I'm a damn sight better off than some others". The older I get the more I realize how true that is.

The journey back to health begins now :)
moosterbounce

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 am

^ *LIKE*
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 am

Mulger bill wrote:^ *LIKE*

+1,000,000

The 2nd Womble

Postby hudnut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 am

Dunno really what to put here Womble.

You'll get through it mate. I'm currently getting tested for Coeliac.
Combine that with T1D and it's more stuff to think about whenever I eat something.
you get used to it, and it's not that bad.

My sister had similar thing start happening to her in her mid 20s. Carried the epipen, experienced anaphylaxis etc.
The human body is a funny thing.
All her issues went away after she got pregnant.
I don't recommend you try it for a possible cure. :)

I live on the other side of the river to the 'Switch and my best mate lives there.
If you need someone to ride with occasionally to help you along and/or get one the bike once you get through this bit, let me know.
We aren't the smallest, or the fastest.
BTW, I don't have issues with needles. :)
hudnut

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks mate, your offer made my day. Our place is in West Iswich just over the top of the hill from the hospital. I'll be in touch :)
We boiled up some eggs for me to take to work last night. My hands and hips locked up today from the RA. It now looks like organic eggs are a must as well.

The 2nd Womble

Postby grasshopper » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Yeah, you will learn to deal with whatever it is. I've had an anaphylactic reaction to nail polish. Much later I got fed up with reactions to other things so did the testing thing and the allergy doc wasn't even game to test for it. And no way was I going to let him. :lol: We did pin down 102 which was giving me hell, but a couple of other things are still suspicions cos the testing wasn't conclusive. Which is just to say that sometimes you don't get answers. And new things still crop up that just have to go off my menu - despite having eaten them previously. So far, not Milo and Twix. :D
grasshopper

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Those pens didn't exist when I was in school and now there are 7yr old kids carrying them!!

That's because the lack of epi-pens meant that those kids died before they were old enough to get to school :(
Leiothrix

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Ticks have become more of a problem on the Northern Beaches of Sydney over the last couple of years with the return of native bandicoot populations.

A number of people have developed allergies to meat as a result, which was reported in the Manly Daily. Those little critters are very nasty.

Sorry to hear about your struggles Dave. You'll get through it, but it will take some work. :|
trailgumby

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:35 pm

trailgumby wrote:Ticks have become more of a problem on the Northern Beaches of Sydney over the last couple of years with the return of native bandicoot populations.

A number of people have developed allergies to meat as a result, which was reported in the Manly Daily. Those little critters are very nasty.

Sorry to hear about your struggles Dave. You'll get through it, but it will take some work. :|

Thankyou TG. Yes grain fed meat is an issue with tick bites. Apparently grass fed isn't as much of an issue but it does hurt the hip pocket.

The 2nd Womble

Return to Cycling Health