New knicks, new saddle or shaving?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Postby Walsh95 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:29 pm

I've had some pretty bad chafing in the groin area for about six months now. It kicks in at about the 40-60km mark, and from that point forward i have to alleviate any pressure on the saddle by taking most of my weight on my arms, and then by bouncing up and down with each pedal stroke.

Now, I don't really want to shave, but this is getting in the way of training, so I'll do it if it comes down to it. I already use chamois cream, doesn't work. So, new knicks, new saddle (mines hellishly uncomfortable) or the horrible... other option. apart from the saddle, could the fact that my stem's a bit too long be causing issues?
Walsh95

by BNA » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 am

BNA

Re: New knicks, new saddle or shaving?

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 am

You shouldn't get chaff from 40-60km rides. It sounds to me like there's something wrong with the fit of your bike. Look at things like saddle height and angle, but also maybe crank length...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby matagi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 am

I wouldn't shave if I were you - that will set up a whole other raft of problems with ingrown hairs and the irritation of regrowth.

Not sure why you are persisting with a hellishly uncomfortable saddle. I suspect that may be the problem - you may be unconsciously adopting a position to alleviate the discomfort of the saddle which then sets you up for chafe.

That said, the worst chafe I ever had was from a pair of knicks where the padding was sewn in such a way that I felt like my labia were being sawn off after about 15-20km.

If cost is a consideration, then knicks are cheaper than saddles, so you could try new knicks first. Although honestly, I would ditch the hellishly uncomfortable saddle.
matagi

Postby macca33 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am

Yep, 40-60Km and chafing would point towards a fit issue I'd wager. I've only had bad chafing twice and both times on 120km+ rides in wet conditions. I've used 'rash cream' afterwards and it has cleared within a couple of days.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby KGB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

I agree and would recommend against shaving. Trimming, on the other hand can be much better than a full jungle.
Change saddle, get the fit right.
KGB

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 am

Optimise your bike fit... That's where the issues will be...

If your not able to do this, then u could always try these few things to see where your current position is, compared with this very general position, which may act as a "starting" point for experimentation.

/putting on flame suit

1) Put a spirit level over your saddle and have it between level, to half a bubble nose down

2) measure your inseam and set your saddle height at 109% of this (top of saddle to pedal spindle.

3) set your setback of the saddle so your knee is over the pedal spindle (KOPS)

Now, most of us know the negatives behind the above approach. However, depending on how much knowledge of bike fitting you have, it's not a bad point to start with your experimenting. You may find your saddle height is a fair way from the above calculated height, and thus putting it up/or down as indicated will help.

Disclaimer:
Ideally, get a good bike fitter to work thru your issues, and then at 160kms, the only thing holding u back will be your fitness, and not the fire emanating from your gooch...
Dr_Mutley

Return to Cycling Health