Gretaboy’s recovery

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby minhyy » Sun May 18, 2014 2:49 pm

just got back from the ride/party - good to meet the man, Stu, very inspirational to see you on the recumbent whizzing past us. Also nice to put faces to names (trailgumby, g-boaf) and the retro ride regulars. A special thanks to Bruce, Rheicel and Stu's wives, Claire and co. for putting on a good spread.
Party like it's 1999
minhyy

by BNA » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

That was a great ride - and Sydney put on perfect weather for the catch up. :)

Nice to meet so many of you. I was circling around SOP wondering if I'd missed everyone, but those immaculate looking retro bikes gave you guys away. :D

Gretaboy: Wonderful to see how much you've progressed since the last time we spoke when you were at Ryde. :)
g-boaf

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Yeah yeah now where are the pics? :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 18, 2014 3:16 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yeah yeah now where are the pics? :(

Foo

They'll be coming. Patience! :) I wasn't the photographer today. 8)
g-boaf

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 18, 2014 3:30 pm

There's only one word for that: Brilliant. :)

Thanks for organising Bruce, Mrs Bruce, Stuart and Sandy, rheicel, isabella24 (and sorry to anybody I missed). It was great to meet everybody and put faces to names,

It was great to see Stuart's progress. Dude, you're tough to keep up with on that recumbent. "Flying Furniture" is about right for the brand name on that bike, with you in the engine compartment. :lol:

http://www.strava.com/activities/142427161
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby QuangVuong » Sun May 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Great day for a good ride round SOP. It was good to meet Gretaboy, g-boaf, trailgumby today, and nice to see everyone else again.

As with our other local recumbent rider(Mark with his Rotovelo), Gretaboy wasnt the fastest up hills, but flew by on the downhill and flats. Its amazing to see how much you have progressed in the space of 4 months 8) .

And Chris, youre too fast. Left us behind in no time after we left. :shock:
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 18, 2014 6:53 pm

You wouldn't have that trouble with me - I chickened out of the steep climb up the first part of Mowbray Road and the thought of Roseville Bridge was too much. :lol:

I took the Epping Rd bike path into North Sydney and went home via The Spit. 100km for the day, first time metric century. :D
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Claire your banana muffins got the stuffed gob of approval - Peters first words on waking up after his nap - more little cake, its very delicious.

Thanks for a great day, fabulous weather & company.

Cheers

Bruce
find_bruce

Postby isabella24 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:Claire your banana muffins got the stuffed gob of approval - Peters first words on waking up after his nap - more little cake, its very delicious.

Thanks for a great day, fabulous weather & company.

Cheers

Bruce

Lol no probs I'll send you the recipe!!

Great to finally meet Gretaboy and Ms Gretaboy in the flesh. My partner Craig has this to say and it sums up what I think perfectly:

"Gretaboy, you have gone through so much adversity and yet you have remained one of the most positive people we know. We both wish you all the best and it was a pleasure to meet both you and Sandy today. We both think that you could be a real inspiration for everyone, no matter what their situation."

To everyone else, it was great to see you today, special thanks to Bruce for organizing it :-)
isabella24

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:33 pm

How is everything going here?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:How is everything going here?

Foo

Foo..overall it is good. I am out cycling still, got my very own recumbent trike, and loving it...but...am also facing lots of little issues that rehab life didnt have. Life at home is a real challenge mentally as its not until you get home and try and live "normally" do you realise what you have lost. I have put my hand up with the people around me and said I need to speak with someone.

But overall I am loving being at home and life is good, am trying to make the most of my second chance at life :)
gretaboy

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 pm

That is really good to hear mate. :mrgreen: Stay positive with things and don't forget that you have plenty here to sound off at.;)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Parker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Always good to speak to someone, whose not there and not living with you. Smart move and well done!

You're allowed to have bad days and good days.
Parker

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Good on you for putting your hand up, the recent ManTherapy website ads prove that it is a huge thing for guys, and blokes generally don't take it seriously.
Xplora

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Wow, just saw this thread. Have to say some of the stuff I read/saw stirred up some emotions for me having been there (not quite as bad as you) and then going through rehab. I know what its like to celebrate even the smallest of achievements such as taking a shower by yourself, its almost an act of rebellion. Or being able to dress yourself, by yourself. I know the pain of retraining your body to do things that were previously natural to you.

If I can offer any advice it is to think of yourself as an arrow. An arrow has a purpose, but to fulfill its purpose it must be first drawn backwards in the bow before being launched forward. Somedays you are going to be pulled back, but eventually you will be launched forward.

Well done on getting to where you are now and your "second" life. I'm really enjoying my second life immensely. Make sure you enjoy yours. Savor it.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Previous

Return to Cycling Health