Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TailWind

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:25 pm

I was just looking at the Endomondo challenge, and gretaboy is still on the front page, and, importantly, back on a bike for his rehab.
This got me thinking along the lines:
- gretaboy's job at this point is to make a full recovery
- as part of the journey to fulfill that job, gretaboy is using a bike to achieve that purpose
- therefore, this journey should be considered a commute and should be logged on the Endomondo challenge
- and yes, it replaces a car journey :wink:

I would bet that you'd stay on the front page, gretaboy! Are you up for it?
Jason, as the custodian of the challenge this year, would this be permissible?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:45 pm

TailWind wrote:I was just looking at the Endomondo challenge, and gretaboy is still on the front page, and, importantly, back on a bike for his rehab.
This got me thinking along the lines:
- gretaboy's job at this point is to make a full recovery
- as part of the journey to fulfill that job, gretaboy is using a bike to achieve that purpose
- therefore, this journey should be considered a commute and should be logged on the Endomondo challenge
- and yes, it replaces a car journey :wink:

I would bet that you'd stay on the front page, gretaboy! Are you up for it?
Jason, as the custodian of the challenge this year, would this be permissible?

Haha up for it....thats like a red rag to a bull

my ocd would kick in if this would happen, especially if I get the approval to ride the recumbent by myself by the rehab staff

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm not answering that question, It's a given.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:41 pm

I'd be honoured to be knocked down a place by the resurgent gretaboy

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Bloody awesome... Congrats again...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 am

Every time I look at this forum, I am amazed at your progress!
Great to hear you are enjoying some of your rehab on a bike, and you are able to get out in the real world we all take for granted.
I will say it again, you are bloody inspiration mate!
Brilliant!
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:33 am

Yesterday I had hydrotherapy for the first time, pool work, and it was great. Hard work still but was nice to have the body float somewhat and b able to work the legs/arms without gravity having a major impact. This therapy is once a fortnight I believe but I will try and scam more sessions lol

I also had hand therapy in the arvo and was rapped to discover a little bit of movement in the ring and pinky finger of my right hand. This is the first bit of movement from these two fingers since my accident so is a big thing for me. The right hand is slowly inching towards having some functionality and I just have to hope the hard work in hand therapy will continue to reap some gains. My occupational therapist reckons my hand has made huge gains since I have got to rehab.

weather looks ok in Sydney this morning so am going to try and get out on the recumbent and do some laps

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 am

Really good news on the hand front GB! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:47 pm

jasonc wrote:I'm not answering that question, It's a given.
Excellent! Gretaboy, the lights have just gone green - have at it!

I'll post cross-post this to the 2014 Commuter Challenge Thread too.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:58 pm

TailWind wrote:

Edit: You'll have to log the distance manually as not to divulge the location of your training facility!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 pm

gretaboy wrote:Yesterday I had hydrotherapy for the first time, pool work, and it was great. Hard work still but was nice to have the body float somewhat and b able to work the legs/arms without gravity having a major impact. This therapy is once a fortnight I believe but I will try and scam more sessions lol

I also had hand therapy in the arvo and was rapped to discover a little bit of movement in the ring and pinky finger of my right hand. This is the first bit of movement from these two fingers since my accident so is a big thing for me. The right hand is slowly inching towards having some functionality and I just have to hope the hard work in hand therapy will continue to reap some gains. My occupational therapist reckons my hand has made huge gains since I have got to rehab.

weather looks ok in Sydney this morning so am going to try and get out on the recumbent and do some laps
Were the hydro-therapeutic assistants wearing bikinis? :mrgreen: ...Sorry Mrs Gretaboy, guy thing...
Fabulous news about your hand, you're doing a great job and it's paying off!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 pm

TailWind wrote:

another 18 k's done this morning...wont challenge the front runners but as i have said in an earlier post...I am coming back.... and it feels good

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:32 pm

TailWind wrote: Were the hydro-therapeutic assistants wearing bikinis? :mrgreen: ...Sorry Mrs Gretaboy, guy thing...
Fabulous news about your hand, you're doing a great job and it's paying off!

was hoping but government services dont go that far in providing rehabilitation lol

westab

Postby westab » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 am

gretaboy wrote:another 18 k's done this morning...wont challenge the front runners but as i have said in an earlier post...I am coming back.... and it feels good
Mate log them - great work. You are such an encouragement to me and my middle kid. You find things hard due to an accident, she struggles with school, sport, and a few others things. She now also has a new hero and saying - if Gretaboy can do it; so can I. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 pm

westab wrote:
gretaboy wrote:another 18 k's done this morning...wont challenge the front runners but as i have said in an earlier post...I am coming back.... and it feels good
Mate log them - great work. You are such an encouragement to me and my middle kid. You find things hard due to an accident, she struggles with school, sport, and a few others things. She now also has a new hero and saying - if Gretaboy can do it; so can I. :D
You made me laugh....me a hero lol

but it is good to hear that others are using my situation to spur them on...I am simply trying to make my life a little better than what it currently is.

Westab, tell your daughter that I am proud of her for simplying giving it her all for whatever she attempts

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 am

Gretaboy spotted again this morning on my commute. Further afield than previously seen, and he now has a peloton with him. They reminded me of body guards. "I'm sorry, sir, you'll have to keep you distance. Gretaboy is Internet famous, you know".

You need to change that shirt Tailwind gave you for something like this:

or this:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am

Was great to see you again BFV. I did have some "blockers" with me for safety factors, Mrs Gretaboy had a huge morning of cycling but she was saying my ride was a warm down for her, what an injustice for me.

was just a brilliant morning for riding and I achieved my longest distance to date on the ride...20 k's

we are going to be regulars out the tracks around this location

edit: as to the shirt I am thinking of getting the following made up. On the front it says " I got hit by a toyota landcruiser" and the back saying "bugger" or the front saying "I got hit by a toyota landcruiser and survived" with the back saying "oh what a feeling"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:52 pm

My vote for the teeshirt:

"Gretaboy 1 Landcruiser 0"

:mrgreen:

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm

gretaboy wrote:
westab wrote:
You made me laugh....me a hero lol
Now we're going to have to get you a cape too! :mrgreen:

Good to see you are logging the kms!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Things are starting to look up for me. I am starting to get weekend leave in sydney...as much as I love where I am, the prospect of weekend leave is so nice to have. I am not allowed home yet but I am working and pushing to get weekend home leave also.

In my first week at rehab i did a 6 minute walk test. Someone my age should be able to walk at least 800 metres in that time...i achieved 405 metres on my first attempt. I did the test again this week and achieved 566 metres...i was chuffed, shows i am slowly improving and all my hard work is paying off.

Got out for another ride today with wife and we rode my biggest distance yet, just over 26 k's...again not the fastest but one thing at a time :)

Topped off the day with getting a visit from another rider from the Hunter area....how good are cyclists.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

That's great news!! I know some "whole" folk who'd be unable to walk that distance in that time. Rehab is both soul destroying and ego boosting - you just need to focus on your achievements when frustration gets you down.

Any chance of another walking vid (no dancing!! ;) ) to show off your improvements?

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Go Gretaboy!!!
I love reading this thread and discovering all the milestones and improvements you are able to achieve.
You are amazing and I wish you all the best as you recover.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:38 pm

gretaboy wrote:Things are starting to look up for me. I am starting to get weekend leave in sydney...as much as I love where I am, the prospect of weekend leave is so nice to have. I am not allowed home yet but I am working and pushing to get weekend home leave also.
Great news, Gretaboy. We're having our velodrome track re-opening on the 21st of March, so if you want a great night out with the wife and lots of good old fashioned track cycling, you should head out to Wyatt Park that night.

Everyone else is invited, too.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Good to hear, gretaboy....this is the way we know you, determined and over-achieving in the challenges you take on :wink:
Have a great day!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:41 pm

You asked for more walking footage...you got it :D The following footage is of my latest 6 minute walk test and it is pretty boring until the 1:50 mark. Sorry for the footage, it was a sunny day