Gretaboy’s recovery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gorilla monsoon

Re: Gretaboy’s recovery

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Gretaboy and Jim, we'll have a beer for you on Sunday after Loop the Lake. Stay strong.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Gorilla M....enjoy the ride, hope the weather is kind to you

The leave pass was brilliant, we had a ball and it was just great to be a coupke again. Highly recommend people go and see the Lion King show.

"Walking" around sydney was interesting, amazing how people refuse to move for a wheelchair. The wife got me stuck at one crossing, the lip was too much, and some kind gentlemen helped out, as they did the wife piped up with "its due to him being a fatboy", am I loved or what lol

Monday saw us catching a train in peak hour, now that was fun. Must say the railway staff were just brilliant though, kudos to them. My view on the actual train was boobies and crotches...now I know how really short people view the world, or what their view is.

Back in the system now. Got told yesterday that I must have the neck brace on for another 4 weeks, hopefully the time flies

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 am

Got out the recumbent this morning, the weather in Sydney this morning is just perfect for riding. Was very lucky in having a staff member come and "babysit" me while I rode. Rode laps around the little lake here, a single lap is just over 400 metres we found out. I did 37 laps and it certainly felt like I did greater than 1600 metres, legs were fatiguing on the last 6 laps.

loved every minute of it tho.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:24 pm

gretaboy wrote:Got out the recumbent this morning, the weather in Sydney this morning is just perfect for riding. Was very lucky in having a staff member come and "babysit" me while I rode. Rode laps around the little lake here, a single lap is just over 400 metres we found out. I did 37 laps and it certainly felt like I did greater than 1600 metres, legs were fatiguing on the last 6 laps.

Hey gretaboy,
Excellent to hear you are back doing long hauls (all relative of course, but wow! given the circumstances) - by my calcs you did 14.8 kms? What's it like riding a 'bent...any pix?
Have a great day!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

BogusJimmy

Postby BogusJimmy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi gretaboy!

I'm the guy (David) that would occasionally catch you on NE Hwy from Raworth (I think you might've caught up to me once or twice too). It's great to hear that you're on the road to recovery (almost literally)!

I wasn't far behind you that morning. As I came through Thornton I saw the traffic backing up. I turned the bend after the flyover and saw the flashing lights towards the top of the hill and an ambulance pulling away. As I passed the police I thought to myself that it must've been a nasty accident but it wasn't until I saw your bike that I realised what had happened. You mentioned there was no footage but I saw the GoPro on the back with its red light still blinking...

Hope your recovery continues well and I hope you'll catch up to me on the roads around the Hunter soon.
2003 Giant TCR2

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Well done Gretaboy!!
I am still following your recovery but not posting as often. Keep it up - your attitude and approach is amazing!
Andrew

megamills

Postby megamills » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Stuart and everyone else.

I travel up the New England Highway most week days to one of the coal mines, and would routinely see this cyclist pedalling seriously and steadily most days, going in the opposite direction.
I like cycling, and I am always happy to see someone partaking in an activity I love.

At the same time, I acquired a flash new carbon fibre road bike, which I immediately feel in love with and in fact still think is fantastic.
My love affair blossomed when I acquired a GPS unit. Someone from work suggest joining Strava. Thinking Strava was a strange name and what do segments have to do with enjoying a bike ride – I didn’t bother.
After repeated questions from my work mate like “…. have you looked at Strava yet? ”, I finally relented and looked online. I was instantly hooked.
I eventually got KOM (King of the Mountain for the uninitiated) in a few areas around home (nobody rides where I get KOM).

Anyhow, my KOM’s didn’t last long.

This chap on Strava, would go onto my very infrequently travelled routes, and claim the MY KOM.

It didn’t take long to realise that the seriously and steadily pedalling gent in the morning was the same gent stealing my golden crowns on Strava.
I was astounded and impressed by the route my Strava mate was taking each day (45-50 km one way), and all those KM’s he had amassed.

It’s was unusual for me connect the virtual world to the real world, but Stuart and myself eventually caught up for a ride, and have ridden a few other times since.
I constantly try to beat the Strava KOM time Stuart sets. But alas it’s a hard task.

Finally, with the help of a work colleague, I managed to smash one of Stuarts KOM’s. My work colleague and I got exactly the same time – (how fair is that) - I was happy as Larry.
It was almost the next day, I caught Stuart having a just completed a crack at smashing our new KOM. I’m sure he had especially driven to this segment, just for this purpose.

Anyhow we tussled and I got my crown back. I thought Stuart had finally realised my unassailable superiority – and not bothered even trying to beat the record.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Wondering why I hadn’t seen you on the road nor on Strava, I read the commentary for your last Strava ride on the 15th January 2014. I was dumb founded.
I texted you immediately. I didn’t hear back and I thought the worst. I posted a message on Strava asking the world about you. I was very happy to get your text last night (4th of March 2014).
Also thanks to Andrew Smith for posting the blog address.

I checked out the video on face book.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I commend you for your courage and would love for you to that you take that KOM off me.

Regards

Mark

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:28 pm

megamills wrote:I commend you for your courage and would love for you to that you take that KOM off me.
Be afraid Mark, be very afraid. First Stuart is going after F grade & then you're next :D

Fabulous to spend some time with gretaboy & Mrs gretaboy, as always there were some new tricks to show off. Gretaboy now has a handshake firmer than Prince Phillip & so it was great to see the desk of pain has been paying off, plus we couldn't resist doing laps with gretaboy on his current weapon.

Don't worry I checked carefully for signs of beards or sandles & so far so good.

It was a hoot all round. I would post a strava link, however GPS coordinates would spoil the fun of the whole secret location thing.

[Edit:] should have added just how pleased gretaboy was to wear his new "I do my own stunts" t-shirt
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 am

megamills wrote:Hi Stuart and everyone else.
Wondering why I hadn’t seen you on the road nor on Strava, I read the commentary for your last Strava ride on the 15th January 2014. I was dumb founded.
I texted you immediately. I didn’t hear back and I thought the worst. I posted a message on Strava asking the world about you. I was very happy to get your text last night (4th of March 2014).
Also thanks to Andrew Smith for posting the blog address.

I checked out the video on face book.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I commend you for your courage and would love for you to that you take that KOM off me.

Regards

Mark
Hey Mark good to hear from you...enjoy the KOM's that you get back as I know you will have worked hard to get them...BUT....I thought I would give you a chance by having some time off the bike lol

dont think you will see me on the new england highway anymore tho
Last edited by gretaboy on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 am

Spotted Gretaboy out and about in the real world this morning. He was doing some serious training on the bent with what must be an illegal fairing around his neck to reduce wind resistance. He'll be going after the Strava segments sooner than we think.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 am

find_bruce wrote: Be afraid Mark, be very afraid. First Stuart is going after F grade & then you're next :D

Fabulous to spend some time with gretaboy & Mrs gretaboy, as always there were some new tricks to show off. Gretaboy now has a handshake firmer than Prince Phillip & so it was great to see the desk of pain has been paying off, plus we couldn't resist doing laps with gretaboy on his current weapon.

Don't worry I checked carefully for signs of beards or sandles & so far so good.

It was a hoot all round. I would post a strava link, however GPS coordinates would spoil the fun of the whole secret location thing.

[Edit:] should have added just how pleased gretaboy was to wear his new "I do my own stunts" t-shirt
Firstly I am proud to wear my new t-shirt that a funny man from this forum thought that I should have.., did make us smile and laugh when the package was opened..was disappointed there was none of his special home brew included however

was great catching up with bruce and was even more special that I coukd "ride" with him, I was even spurred on to try a hill climb whilst riding, first attempt had me stopping due to wrong gear selection but bruce was there to give me a push....the man is one guy you want as a friend. My second attempt at the hill saw success on my part...yay. I always look forward to the visits from Bruce as I want to show off what, if any, progress I have made since his last visit.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:32 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Spotted Gretaboy out and about in the real world this morning. He was doing some serious training on the bent with what must be an illegal fairing around his neck to reduce wind resistance. He'll be going after the Strava segments sooner than we think.
BFV...was great to meet you for the first time..what a shock it was to actually have someone from the forum recognise me lol

ended up doing just over 11 k's on the ride....used strava to recod it, very slow average tho, will be out on those bike paths more and more, especially with the wife

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:41 am

gretaboy wrote:Got out the recumbent this morning, the weather in Sydney this morning is just perfect for riding. Was very lucky in having a staff member come and "babysit" me while I rode. Rode laps around the little lake here, a single lap is just over 400 metres we found out. I did 37 laps and it certainly felt like I did greater than 1600 metres, legs were fatiguing on the last 6 laps.

Brilliant! 8)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

gretaboy wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Spotted Gretaboy out and about in the real world this morning. He was doing some serious training on the bent with what must be an illegal fairing around his neck to reduce wind resistance. He'll be going after the Strava segments sooner than we think.
BFV...was great to meet you for the first time..what a shock it was to actually have someone from the forum recognise me lol

ended up doing just over 11 k's on the ride....used strava to recod it, very slow average tho, will be out on those bike paths more and more, especially with the wife
I think you got some of the best therapy you could get this morning, though your assistant looked so unhappy about being out on a bike and getting paid for it :). The stupidly big grin on your face said it all, I think. Great to meet you. We'll probably run into each other again since I spend a lot of time on those paths doing my own therapy each morning.

AndySmith

Postby AndySmith » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Ha Ha - I can confirm for Mark that greta boy did go out and grab those much sought after KOM's - everyone in the Illawarra knew ur pain :-) Stuart has a few KOM's down here as well.
Sweet ride the recumbent bike - nice to see you posting on strava again and from the pace it appears that the rehab is working wonders. All of our thoughts and Prayers from the team here in the Illawarra - continue to work hard on the rehab ( when required ) and rest when you can ( strength is returning ).. getting my Mrs to book us and the girls in to see the Lion King - nice recommendation.
Ta,

Andy :-)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm

gretaboy wrote:was great catching up with bruce and was even more special that I coukd "ride" with him, I was even spurred on to try a hill climb whilst riding, first attempt had me stopping due to wrong gear selection but bruce was there to give me a push....the man is one guy you want as a friend. My second attempt at the hill saw success on my part...yay. I always look forward to the visits from Bruce as I want to show off what, if any, progress I have made since his last visit.
I'm still laughing at you complaining you couldn't change into the big chainring - will have to remember to bring the tools next time.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:
gretaboy wrote:was great catching up with bruce and was even more special that I coukd "ride" with him, I was even spurred on to try a hill climb whilst riding, first attempt had me stopping due to wrong gear selection but bruce was there to give me a push....the man is one guy you want as a friend. My second attempt at the hill saw success on my part...yay. I always look forward to the visits from Bruce as I want to show off what, if any, progress I have made since his last visit.
I'm still laughing at you complaining you couldn't change into the big chainring - will have to remember to bring the tools next time.
just take the granny rings off completely. First round of HTFU therapy, 1x10. Second round, 1x1. Then you start adding teeth to the front. Then you start taking them from the back.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Awesome sauce! Rock on Gretaboy :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm

gretaboy wrote: Firstly I am proud to wear my new t-shirt that a funny man from this forum thought that I should have.., did make us smile and laugh when the package was opened..was disappointed there was none of his special home brew included however

was great catching up with bruce and was even more special that I coukd "ride" with him, I was even spurred on to try a hill climb whilst riding, first attempt had me stopping due to wrong gear selection but bruce was there to give me a push....the man is one guy you want as a friend. My second attempt at the hill saw success on my part...yay. I always look forward to the visits from Bruce as I want to show off what, if any, progress I have made since his last visit.
Nice ride you've got there, gretaboy, looks comfy! Good work on getting all those kms in, great to hear you've got Mrs Gretaboy and local members there to spur you on!
Have a great day!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Im coming back folks...thats all I can say. I may not get back to what I was but I will get back to riding in some way or format

the recumbent riding has shown me that it is possible and I smile every time I am on it

thanks again to everyones support, it has and is making a difference

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Glad to hear things are progressing well for you- hope the wife is hanging in too! :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:26 am

:mrgreen::cool:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 am

gretaboy wrote:Im coming back folks...thats all I can say. I may not get back to what I was but I will get back to riding in some way or format

the recumbent riding has shown me that it is possible and I smile every time I am on it

Brilliant !!!!!

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 am

gretaboy wrote:Im coming back folks...thats all I can say. I may not get back to what I was but I will get back to riding in some way or format

Good stuff. So glad to hear you're getting back into the riding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 am

Awesome news, :D
Lisa