Riding with bandages

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Gunlock

Riding with bandages

Postby Gunlock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Hey guys,

I...met...some gravel this time last week and took a chunk out of knee and grazed down my leg while riding to work (Bled all over my new shoes in the process :evil: ). Took a week off and now the bruising has gone down and the grazes are almost healed but i still need a bandage over my knee as it heals. I tried getting back on the bike this morning but whenever i reach the top of my pedal stroke i feel the bandage starting to pull off the knee as it bends.

Does anyone have any recommendations on bandaging the knee in such a way you can still ride?

At the moment i'm using non-stick wound pads and elastoplast style tape to keep it down as the wound area is bigger than i can find a bandaid for. I was considering using gauze wrap to keep the non stick pad on without sacrificing knee flexibility but i'm not sure how well that'd work.

Any help that gets me back out onto the bike (or even a run) would be worth at least 3 e-hugs, i'm starting to get itchy.....

A_P

Re: Riding with bandages

Postby A_P » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Use hypafix / mefix
You can use it directly on the wound and leave it there for up to a week. Just shower and pat dry with paper towel.

Sent from my iPhone

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:20 pm

You should be able to get netting to go over it from a chemist.

If the wound isn't infected, use something like 3M Tegaderm on it, otherwise you'll be using something like Melonin with some tape over it to keep the pad in place, and then netting over the top of that to keep it in place.

Hypafix isn't really that great if you've got hairy legs/arms - it tends to come loose.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Gaffa Tape

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Any sort of spray / liquid bandage might be useful in this situation. You could also try applying the non-stick wound pads with tape while your knee is bent to the degree that it would be when you reach the top of the pedal stroke (if you haven't done that already). It might make it feel a little weird when you're at the bottom, but you could potentially re-tape it once you get to work.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I have this issue from time to time (hence my choice of handle :oops: ).

I tend to use non stick pads taped over with Elastoplast Sport stretch self adhesive bandage wrapped all the way around the back of the knee and joining up and overlapping again at the front.

Its the only way ive found to avoid perspiration loosening the tape. Just beware it does not come off easily, just like strapping tape. So you will likely remove all hair and possibly a small amount of surface skin - exfoliation! :D

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 am

My choice for a bad knee graze was an 8 x 5 cm non-stick pad, taped down with 2 cm wide hypo-allergenic paper tape,
on all four sides. This was coverd with a 10 cm x 1.5 m elastolite crepe (stretch) bandage wrapped over the
top from below the knee to above it. End of crepe bandage was tucked into second last layer, and taped down with paper tape too. That held in place
all day, as well as on 2 hour rides etc.,.

The crepe bandage was necessary because of the tendency of the wound to bleed through the pad, and to help
keep it in place. You don't need to apply much stretch when wrapping the bandage - don't want
to put so much that you restrict circulation to your lower leg !

Main issue I had was that the non-stick pads aren't always that non-stick and I didn't really get it to heal
effectively until I used the solosite hydrating gel recommended by the doc. It keeps
the wound moist, but is a bit messier in terms of using up the pads and bleeding through to the crepe bandage.
The latter can be washed (one on, one off if you buy two). The trouble with letting a scab form is that
bending the knee tends to break it, resulting in healing having to start over again etc.,
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia