Weight loss keeping it simple

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Weight loss keeping it simple

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 pm

biker jk wrote:Unfortunately, these studies are based on BMI and not body fat, so take them with a grain of salt. Belly fat has been linked with early death.
What throws these stats out is that a BMI of 25-30 gives the highest average survivability after life threatening incidents and operations in hospital. This has little to do with best overall health outcomes in general life.
Nobody

by BNA » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

BNA

Postby anttismo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:...So all Constantheadwind needs to do is get his BMI up to 27 without putting on belly fat. Good luck with that! :wink:

My BMI is about 27 - I'm happy with that. 192cm, 92cm waist, 98 kg. Being closer in build to a centre half forward than a cyclist may not be ideal for going up hills, but hard to see a down side otherwise.

For poeple who study such things - is there much difference in health being, say BMI=30 rather than 25? Or 22? Or 18?
anttismo

Postby Constantheadwind » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm

No mention in the result of being a "FOTI" to qualify. If I limit the usual evils, beer fructose etc I should qualify.
I suspect larger people spend longer twilight years in high care nursing. Not a desirable outcome either in my book.
Constantheadwind

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm

anttismo wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:...So all Constantheadwind needs to do is get his BMI up to 27 without putting on belly fat. Good luck with that! :wink:

My BMI is about 27 - I'm happy with that. 192cm, 92cm waist, 98 kg. Being closer in build to a centre half forward than a cyclist may not be ideal for going up hills, but hard to see a down side otherwise.

In my books, having a waist under 94 cm is more important than any BMI measure.

http://www.measureup.gov.au/internet/abhi/publishing.nsf/Content/factsheet-waist-measurement

Waist measurement compares closely with body mass index (BMI), however waist measurement is often seen as a better way of checking a person’s risk of developing a chronic disease.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Constantheadwind wrote:No mention in the result of being a "FOTI" to qualify. If I limit the usual evils, beer fructose etc I should qualify.
I suspect larger people spend longer twilight years in high care nursing. Not a desirable outcome either in my book.

I wasn't seriously suggesting you should get fatter to live longer. Quality of life is important too. No point living to 100 if you have type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure or cancer.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Tony6463 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

sogood wrote:
mick243 wrote:Even simpler...
Eat less, move more.

Errr... Is there really anything more to say after this?

I'd like to add "Eat Less, EAT BETTER, Move More"

You can eat less but still eat rubbish with no nutrients etc. but less of it. Around the out side of the super market, as has been mentioned and keep it as whole and as less processed as possible. The longer the self life the worse it is.

Apolgies if this has already been mentioned as I did not read all the comments. :)
Tony6463

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Tony6463 wrote:
sogood wrote:
mick243 wrote:Even simpler...
Eat less, move more.

Errr... Is there really anything more to say after this?

I'd like to add "Eat Less, EAT BETTER, Move More"

Or just:

"Eat better, move more."

If that's too much, then just:

"Eat better."
Nobody

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Tony6463 wrote:I'd like to add "Eat Less, EAT BETTER, Move More"

You can eat less but still eat rubbish with no nutrients etc. but less of it. Around the out side of the super market, as has been mentioned and keep it as whole and as less processed as possible. The longer the self life the worse it is.

The requirement is to lose weight. Didn't say anything about staying or get healthy. But yes, eat better is good advice. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Simple weight loss advice: Have a look at your lifestyle including sleep and rest, exercise, food and stress. Make a commitment to change your lifestyle for the long term. Your base will be to get enough sleep and rest. Exercise enough to be active but not so much you burn out. Eat mostly whole foods and not much processed food. Manage your stress levels.

It's not that easy to quantify in a simple way:-
Sleep enough but not too much.
Rest enough but not too much.
Exercise enough but not too much.
Eat enough but not too much.
Stress enough but not too much.

The problem is that "enough" doesn't really mean anything.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 28, 2014 4:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Every so often someone, usually a newbie posts about loosing weight as a cyclist.

We eagerly rush to provide the poster lots of useful information, most of it correct. BUT in a our eagerness to help, we tend to make it complex and unfortunately many of the posters will find this complexity intimidating. Unfortunately many who find things complex just give up and this is not good.

Soooo what can we do to make the advice simpler and less confronting?

I found an answer. This is probably the best and most simple one page advice I have seen.

Research has shown that diets with a low energy density can help you to feel fuller without providing too many calories. A low energy density diet can include some foods with a high energy density, provided plenty of foods with lower energy density are eaten too.

Very Low energy density foods. Go for it! You can eat big portions of very low density foods and use them to bulk out meals.

Low energy density foods make up the bulk of what we eat and you can eat satisfying portions of these foods.

Medium energy density foods can be included in the diet, and it is especially important to eat oily fish like salmon, and to include lean sources of protein like steak, but you need to control the portion sizes of these foods and eat them alongside lots of lower energy density foods.

High energy density foods can be included in the diet, but in small portions or eaten less frequently.

http://nutrition.org.uk/attachments/423 ... RINT_2.pdf

I think there is a lot of merit in this approach.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Keep it simple?... "Move more and / or Eat Less"
toolonglegs

Postby reefer » Wed May 28, 2014 5:18 pm

And, if you need help or a motivational kickstart, go see your GP, I have some lovely little pills from my GP atm, lost 6kg the first month (covering 650km on the bike).I must add, you still need to do all the right things.
I eat well, but I eat too much, these pills sort that issue out whilst I adjust to my new regime.
reefer

Postby Calvin27 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Keep it simple?... "Move more and / or Eat Less"

Keep it even simpler - don't eat.

Seriously, the easiest is to just cut out major food targets. For most people you could cut weight fast by avoiding high calorie drinks. Alcohol, soft drinks, juice etc. Black coffee and lattes are fine with no sugar haha.
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

Postby wombatK » Wed May 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Everyday, move a little more, and everyday change something in your diet for a better thing. Easiest way to better your diet is smaller portions, changed gradually.

Sent from my Galacy Tab with Crpaatalk
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby darylcheshire » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:47 am

In my own example, I lost about 6kg and then stayed there regarless of my cycling. My problem was that I was still eating a fat man's meals.
Once I'd addressed that with a dietitian and other professionals, I started to lose more weight. After a certain point it doesn't matter if you don't ride one day or pig out at a social function, as long as you keep cycling and eat the recommended food.
Keep a diary, it really helps and don't worry about variations of 1kg as that is due to fluids etc.
darylcheshire

Previous

Return to Cycling Health