"Addicted" to desserts

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 pm

zill wrote:Just tried your suggestion. Beautiful!!!

But there seems to be some sugar in greek yoghurt. One can easily overeat on greek yoghurt? I know fruit is always good for you but what about full fat greek yoghurt?

The "sugar" in yoghurt is lactose, as long as you buy plain, unsweetened yoghurt. I haven't had a problem with it. I also have found that I don't overeat it but your mileage may vary. Cut it back or cut it out if it becomes a problem. As far as I know, yoghurt is pretty good for you. I eat several kilograms a week.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

by BNA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 pm

BNA
 

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
zill wrote:Just tried your suggestion. Beautiful!!!

But there seems to be some sugar in greek yoghurt. One can easily overeat on greek yoghurt? I know fruit is always good for you but what about full fat greek yoghurt?

The "sugar" in yoghurt is lactose, as long as you buy plain, unsweetened yoghurt. I haven't had a problem with it. I also have found that I don't overeat it but your mileage may vary. Cut it back or cut it out if it becomes a problem. As far as I know, yoghurt is pretty good for you. I eat several kilograms a week.


Good point. For example, my tub here says the only ingredients are Skim milk, cream, milk solids and live culture.

How many grams for dessert (after a main meal) would you have? Or a better measure, how many table spoons would you have as dessert?
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 pm

zill wrote:Good point. For example, my tub here says the only ingredients are Skim milk, cream, milk solids and live culture.

How many grams for dessert (after a main meal) would you have? Or a better measure, how many table spoons would you have as dessert?

Good question but I am the wrong person to ask. I'm pretty obsessive about not calorie counting or measuring anything properly. I want to understand hungry and full without numbers guiding me. At a guess though, I would say around 3 or 4 decent tablespoons would be sufficient. It really depends on what else you are eating though.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:48 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
zill wrote:Good point. For example, my tub here says the only ingredients are Skim milk, cream, milk solids and live culture.

How many grams for dessert (after a main meal) would you have? Or a better measure, how many table spoons would you have as dessert?

Good question but I am the wrong person to ask. I'm pretty obsessive about not calorie counting or measuring anything properly. I want to understand hungry and full without numbers guiding me. At a guess though, I would say around 3 or 4 decent tablespoons would be sufficient. It really depends on what else you are eating though.


The question was specifically how many spoonfuls you have? :D
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby Alien27 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks for sharing Casual cyclist. its good to hear others experiences. it gives you ideas and motivation.

food prep was never a big issue for me. I have never been a foodie as such and can happily eat very plain foods. I boil a big pot of small potatoes at the start of the week and then bring them to work. for lunch i often just grab 4-5 of them, nuke them and happily munch down on them. same with the wollies 90second brown rice. individually packaged $2 90seconds nuke and theres a quick lunch. i also have a massive supply of carrots and fruit and constantly snack on those. i have some chilli flakes and a bottle of plumb sauce i sprinkle on a nuked 5 bean mix as well. Pretty much just have what i feel like when i feel like it but all simple quick and fairly plain. I find well cooked quality potato's very nice :)
Tom
Image
User avatar
Alien27
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 am

Alien27 wrote:Thanks for sharing Casual cyclist. its good to hear others experiences. it gives you ideas and motivation.

food prep was never a big issue for me. I have never been a foodie as such and can happily eat very plain foods. I boil a big pot of small potatoes at the start of the week and then bring them to work. for lunch i often just grab 4-5 of them, nuke them and happily munch down on them. same with the wollies 90second brown rice. individually packaged $2 90seconds nuke and theres a quick lunch. i also have a massive supply of carrots and fruit and constantly snack on those. i have some chilli flakes and a bottle of plumb sauce i sprinkle on a nuked 5 bean mix as well. Pretty much just have what i feel like when i feel like it but all simple quick and fairly plain. I find well cooked quality potato's very nice :)


But what about sugar cravings?
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Sugar is addictive. As you cut back the sugar intake to your preferred level you will find the sugar craving will diminish. In the mean time you need to put up with a bit of craving
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14926
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:30 am

zill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
zill wrote:Good point. For example, my tub here says the only ingredients are Skim milk, cream, milk solids and live culture.

How many grams for dessert (after a main meal) would you have? Or a better measure, how many table spoons would you have as dessert?

Good question but I am the wrong person to ask. I'm pretty obsessive about not calorie counting or measuring anything properly. I want to understand hungry and full without numbers guiding me. At a guess though, I would say around 3 or 4 decent tablespoons would be sufficient. It really depends on what else you are eating though.


The question was specifically how many spoonfuls you have? :D

That was my round about way of saying: no specified amount, just whatever I feel like that the time. Sometimes 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4. Probably not 4 a lot. So 2 or 3 is the answer I guess :wink:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby Alien27 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50 am

zill wrote:
Alien27 wrote:Thanks for sharing Casual cyclist. its good to hear others experiences. it gives you ideas and motivation.

food prep was never a big issue for me. I have never been a foodie as such and can happily eat very plain foods. I boil a big pot of small potatoes at the start of the week and then bring them to work. for lunch i often just grab 4-5 of them, nuke them and happily munch down on them. same with the wollies 90second brown rice. individually packaged $2 90seconds nuke and theres a quick lunch. i also have a massive supply of carrots and fruit and constantly snack on those. i have some chilli flakes and a bottle of plumb sauce i sprinkle on a nuked 5 bean mix as well. Pretty much just have what i feel like when i feel like it but all simple quick and fairly plain. I find well cooked quality potato's very nice :)


But what about sugar cravings?


What im describing above is hen im off the sugar. when im on the sugar there would be chocolate, lollies, cake, licorice etc dispersed in there between meals and after meals. :)

I had my mum in laws 60th last night and had ice cream, cake and chocolate. It was my last hurrah, im back on the no sugar diet now so fingers crossed after a few days there will be no sugar cravings.
Tom
Image
User avatar
Alien27
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Is hot chocolate without the desserts ok? Or should that be eliminated as well?
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I've always been confused whether fruit is considered sugar by the people who say they are off sugar, or off carbs. I thought sugar was a combo of glucose and fructose, and it's definitely a carb.

I relate to the cravings many are talking about. When my eating goes rubbish, I crave, sugar, salt, and booze at various times.
However, I've calmed down all those cravings in recent weeks. Hard to put my finger on what does the trick, but on this diet, I've been having green smoothies for breakfast, which in addition to salads or salad sandwiches for lunch, and fruit for snacks, have killed cravings. I'm doing a stack of veges with dinner, and a piece of fruit, and that's killed the desire for energy dense desserts. I've also started riding mostly in the mornings which also seems to help. Previously, I've gone with starch for breakfast - porridge mainly. Anyway, I've lost 4kg and have 14 to go! touch wood. Good luck everyone.
CKinnard
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby Davobel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Have you tried simply cutting back? If you have a dessert every day, try cutting back to every other day or two of three days. What I found is that once I cut them from one day, I could easily cut them from another. Then... I really enjoy them when I have one because I know I will not be having one on the scheduled day.
Davobel
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

[quote="casual_cyclist"][/quote]

That's not much at all!

If it was taken after a meal then that's fine but if for a snack when hungry then 4 or 5 is probably better.
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

Davobel wrote:Have you tried simply cutting back? If you have a dessert every day, try cutting back to every other day or two of three days. What I found is that once I cut them from one day, I could easily cut them from another. Then... I really enjoy them when I have one because I know I will not be having one on the scheduled day.


That's a good idea.
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:I've always been confused whether fruit is considered sugar by the people who say they are off sugar, or off carbs. I thought sugar was a combo of glucose and fructose, and it's definitely a carb.

The typical anti-sugar crowd either don't eat fruit or limit it to 2 serves per day. But then they eat dextrose, which is sugar too. In my case I lost around 20 kg while eating 5 to 7 or more serves of fruit a day. For me, fruit doesn't stop me losing weight or make me crave sugary desserts. I see refined sugar, added to food as different to sugar from fruit or vegetables. Fruit and veg come with other nutrients and fibre. Sugary desserts tend not to. Also, the energy density of fruit and veg is way lower than sugary desserts. So yeah, they are both sugar but they are not the same.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Davobel wrote:Have you tried simply cutting back? If you have a dessert every day, try cutting back to every other day or two of three days. What I found is that once I cut them from one day, I could easily cut them from another. Then... I really enjoy them when I have one because I know I will not be having one on the scheduled day.

I have tried to cut back. I found it didn't work for me.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 pm

zill wrote:Is hot chocolate without the desserts ok? Or should that be eliminated as well?
Well that depends on what's exactly in it and whether that fits within your goals. I found that taking a step at a time worked for me, that approach may work for you too

CKinnard wrote:I've always been confused whether fruit is considered sugar by the people who say they are off sugar, or off carbs. I thought sugar was a combo of glucose and fructose, and it's definitely a carb
Fruit contains sugar but it shouldn't be confused with foods where the sugar has been concentrated. When people talk low carbs they are generally referring to concentrated carbs such as fruit juice, bread etc and a few select items such as perhaps potato's. Avoiding fruit is getting a bit extreme
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14926
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:05 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I've always been confused whether fruit is considered sugar by the people who say they are off sugar, or off carbs. I thought sugar was a combo of glucose and fructose, and it's definitely a carb
Fruit contains sugar but it shouldn't be confused with foods where the sugar has been concentrated. When people talk low carbs they are generally referring to concentrated carbs such as fruit juice, bread etc and a few select items such as perhaps potato's. Avoiding fruit is getting a bit extreme

I agree avoiding fruit is a bit overboard. In my earlier post I forgot to mention that (for example) apples contain pectin which actually help regulate blood sugar and can help improve insulin sensitivity. I suggest that fruits such as apple should not be avoided by people who are avoiding sugar. I would be looking more at cakes, biscuits, lollies, chocoates, muffins etc.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm

There was a very good documentary called Sugar vs fat. The person on the fat only diet actually lost more weight but he seemed to be unhealthier as a result. Also in a cycling test, the person on the sugar diet won very easily. This explains why pro riders carb load!

Sugar alone or fat alone was not satisfying but when the products contain 50% of each, the documentary suggested that is the best ratio and our brains are fooled to eat more than enough of those products. That explains why I love desserts such as cream chocolate biscuits and cakes so much rather than just chocolate or lollies (I hate lollies).
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

I wish I knew what happened to me a few weeks ago to cause my cravings for the wrong stuff to pretty much disappear.
Since, I've been very comfortable on a Calorie deficit, eating mostly whole unprocessed foods. I'm losing weight nicely.

I cannot help wonder what role intestinal flora play. It's almost like I had a hungry beast inside giving me abdominal pain when I didn't eat enough for it. That craving/abdo pain was about half way between my navel and bottom of rib cage, dead centre. Totally gone now.
CKinnard
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 pm

zill wrote:Sugar alone or fat alone was not satisfying but when the products contain 50% of each, the documentary suggested that is the best ratio and our brains are fooled to eat more than enough of those products. That explains why I love desserts such as cream chocolate biscuits and cakes so much rather than just chocolate or lollies (I hate lollies).

That doesn't explain why I love ice-cream, biscuits, cakes and muffins as well as lollies, chocolate and icing. Icing is basically just sugar with flavouring and a tiny bit of fat. I just love anything sweet really. I'm really a sweet tooth! :P
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby zill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:19 pm

casual_cyclist, I love this yogurt and fruit idea so much that I am considering having it as a meal (so a lot of yogurt and a lot of fruit). You should that is good?
zill
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
zill wrote:Sugar alone or fat alone was not satisfying but when the products contain 50% of each, the documentary suggested that is the best ratio and our brains are fooled to eat more than enough of those products. That explains why I love desserts such as cream chocolate biscuits and cakes so much rather than just chocolate or lollies (I hate lollies).

That doesn't explain why I love ice-cream, biscuits, cakes and muffins as well as lollies, chocolate and icing. Icing is basically just sugar with flavouring and a tiny bit of fat. I just love anything sweet really. I'm really a sweet tooth! :P

The vegan gig makes avoiding all those things easy... still get the cravings for processed sugar junk though :| .
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14596
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:That doesn't explain why I love ice-cream, biscuits, cakes and muffins as well as lollies, chocolate and icing. Icing is basically just sugar with flavouring and a tiny bit of fat. I just love anything sweet really. I'm really a sweet tooth! :P

The vegan gig makes avoiding all those things easy... still get the cravings for processed sugar junk though :| .

Oreos are vegan :wink:

Actually, there is a heap of vegan junk food. Interestingly, mostly processed sugar isn't.

Bone Char

What it is: Charred cattle bones

Where you'll find it: While it's used less and less in foods these days, says Bradley, it was historically used to filter sugar appear to make it appear whiter and more pure.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/1 ... ide=967567

Yummy!
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: "Addicted" to desserts

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:24 pm

zill wrote:casual_cyclist, I love this yogurt and fruit idea so much that I am considering having it as a meal (so a lot of yogurt and a lot of fruit). You should that is good?


Some people call this concept breakfast!! ;) I do it for dinner when I've had a big lunch and want something light for dinner. I mix chia seeds in there too as they are meant to be healthy and I like them. Or a small handful of seeds to give me some crunch. I'd only look to have around 150-200g though. Any more gets too much for me.
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit