Dizziness and nausea after long ride

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Dizziness and nausea after long ride

Postby Orion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am

On Sunday I rode a 65km round trip on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. Total riding time was about 5.5 hours. That night I was tired but otherwise okay. On Monday morning I woke up feeling dizzy and nauseous. Initially I thought it might have been the chicken & salad roll I ate at the Blackbutt Bakery. However, since it lasted only about 2-3 hours I'm now thinking I may have overdone it on the ride.
I was hydrated well enough if the number of toilet stops on the way was anything to go by. I had one bottle (about 500ml) of hydralyte solution which I consumed about half of. The rest was water (about 2.5 litres). I also had a banana and two pieces of a muesli slice.
After the ride, for the rest of the day, I probably drank another litre or so of water.
I'm wondering if perhaps I needed to consume more hydralyte instead of just water? It was a reasonbly cool day so I didn't sweat too much.
I've been on a number of hard rides before but most lasted between 3-4 hours. I never experienced dizziness or nausea after those rides.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you all.
Orion

by BNA » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

BNA

Re: Dizziness and nausea after long ride

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't think you drank enough water personally, I drink around 3 litres a day just as a minimum but that is because of health reasons, I would consider 2 litres an absolute minimum and then around 500ml for every hour you are on the bike in average conditions, more if its hot, maybe less if not. YMMV.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby macca33 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Food, water (a lack thereof), or simple over-exertion - or a combination of the three perhaps.
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby Orion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 am

Yes, I was thinking perhaps a combination of factors. Will have to remember to eat and drink more on extended rides.
Thanks for your replies.
Orion

Postby Oxford » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 am

No dramas, done those trails in the area quite a bit and it can catch you off guard.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Return to Cycling Health