Fractured Ribs

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby sogood » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

You poor thing! Keep it up with any cocktail of pain killers that you works for you. If you have a good friend who is a medico with the appropriate procedural expertise, a few intercostal nerve block injections could help to ease the pain. Unfortunately, this is not in the realm of practice expertise for most medicos out there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

by BNA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 pm

BNA
 

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Sorry to hear about the ribs. I haven't broken any, but landing on the end of my mountain bike handlebars with my ribs and the related cartilage damage was bloddy painful and took months to recover from. In some ways, bone fractures you recover from faster. So I appreciate your pain.

I'm not a fan of ER doctors for some things. They stuffed the relocation of my dislocated shoulder, and knocked loose some of the cartilage (location of damage could only have occurred on re-insertion) and told me to not move for two weeks and then go see a physio. I ended up with frozen shoulder and needed surgical intervention. I should have seen the physio immediately.

If you can afford it, I would encourage you strongly to go see a specialist, quickly.

On the other hand, ER registrars are quite good for things like wound infections because they get lots of experience dealing with that in hospitals.
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 am

The pain isn't that bad, I can handle it, just word of advice, don't have moosterbounce over when you've got broken ribs, sure, she brings chocolates but she makes you laugh.... Talk about painful. I had a ball though. Took some more pain killers and will probably sleep for some time.

I've been through emergency more times than I'd like to count, I'm happy with what I've been told, I'll ultimately listen to my body and seek further medical assistance if I think it's needed, I will probably go to my doctor tomorrow and let him know what I've been up too :)
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 am

trailgumby wrote:I'm not a fan of ER doctors for some things. They stuffed the relocation of my dislocated shoulder, and knocked loose some of the cartilage (location of damage could only have occurred on re-insertion) and told me to not move for two weeks and then go see a physio. I ended up with frozen shoulder and needed surgical intervention. I should have seen the physio immediately.


+1
I saw a top upper limb surgeon recently for an elbow fracture post fall. asked him specific questions my physio suggested I raise regarding a major tendon (common extensor) and the state of a ligament critical to joint stability (annular). The surgeon basically dismissed each complaint as inconsequential as there was no sign of compromised function involving either. When I went back to the physio he put the mri up, then proceeded to do orthopedic tests where he induced a clunk of the radius accompanied by pain down my forearm. Other muscle tests he did revealed a surprising amount of pain and weakness. This he said was a sign the annular ligament was gone, as indicated by the mri which he pointed out to me; and the jt would remain unstable though could be helped somewhat by building muscle strength. Although back on the bike, at this point I cannot get out of the saddle due to pain and joint instability at the elbow. The surgeon said i was right to go back to cycling and I should just focus on getting full extension back. To be honest, the surgeon hardly handled my arm when assessing.

It seems you can never take any one person's opinion, and are best getting a few!
CKinnard
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby chucknitro » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 am

Broke 8 on right 18 months ago. Broke more on left 3 months ago (no X-ray).
Do not strap them. Use painkillers for 2 weeks (whatever it takes, see your doctor if you need more). Was pain free after 5/6 weeks.

Massage etc works well once the pain has settled.
2013 Scott CR1 Premium - Ultegra Di2 compact.
User avatar
chucknitro
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 pm

X-rays have problems showing the fractures, but the ER doctor promised me they were fractured
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm using ice packs at the moment, to try and take away the swelling
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Parker wrote:X-rays have problems showing the fractures, but the ER doctor promised me they were fractured

Well, maybe you don't have fractures! Yet again, the X-ray diagnosis isn't that important as it's the symptom that matters. A badly bruised muscle with ligamental/fascial damage can certainly give you the same clinical picture. As you already know, it's all conservative non-surgical management with rib fractures. Pain killer, pain killer, distraction to forget the pain, distraction to forget the pain, deep breathing, deep breathing... Good luck!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 pm

sogood wrote:
Parker wrote:X-rays have problems showing the fractures, but the ER doctor promised me they were fractured

Well, maybe you don't have fractures! Yet again, the X-ray diagnosis isn't that important as it's the symptom that matters. A badly bruised muscle with ligamental/fascial damage can certainly give you the same clinical picture. As you already know, it's all conservative non-surgical management with rib fractures. Pain killer, pain killer, distraction to forget the pain, distraction to forget the pain, deep breathing, deep breathing... Good luck!

Yep, they said they'd call me if anyone saw more, so maybe I'll get lucky
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:57 am

Bugger of a time to be having rib troubles, Parker. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Especially when I'd just had a beautiful 14 hour training week the week before, I was feeling strong as well, I felt confident and looking forward to more sessions the next week as well, even my run of the bike was strong and my long runs I was finishing them strong.

Lots of strong, it'll come back, we've figured out som exercises I can do as well and like the doctor said, I can put the bike on the trainer and I can walk.
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:31 am

I think we can down grade my prognosis to maybe bruised? I can feel some movement in my left side, but breakthrough moment is that I can lay down!!!!

I don't have to sleep sitting up anymore, we'll see, I said I'd give myself 5 days of rest before I started doing some exercise again and by some exercise I mean walking, trainer, going to try squats and bicep curls, I don't want to loose ALL the weight work I've been doing recently.

And as always, if it hurts, ill stop!
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Good to hear Parker! A bad bruise/ligamental damage can certainly give you comparable symptoms. You are on the mend... :)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Dont get too cocky Parker and do sonething like watch a comedy show. Laughter is not best medicine for ribs. Great its settling well now.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 pm

I put a deposit down on a new bike yesterday, 2 month laybuy thinking oh, it'll be six weeks till I can ride it... Im already thinking I could collect it next week 0_0

Which bike? Glad you fellas asked, got a 2015 Specialized Ruby w Ultegra, it doesn't look as bad as the picture does, in the store in looks more like a Matt black, in the picture is very grey. Anyway, I havent tested it, but I've ridden enough bikes to know what I want so I'm not concerned.

For a while I've been wanting a bike that's more relaxed and absorbs the vibration better, I've had my eye on a trek do and for a while, but saw this in the shop yesterday and bought it in 3 minutes... It'll be nice to move away from a pure race geometry for a while and enjoy this new bike even more.
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Great news Row! :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26012
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Great news Row! :D

+1. Good stuff! :D
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby chriscole » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:Sorry to hear about the ribs. I haven't broken any, but landing on the end of my mountain bike handlebars with my ribs and the related cartilage damage was bloddy painful and took months to recover from. In some ways, bone fractures you recover from faster. So I appreciate your pain.

I'm not a fan of ER doctors for some things. They stuffed the relocation of my dislocated shoulder, and knocked loose some of the cartilage (location of damage could only have occurred on re-insertion) and told me to not move for two weeks and then go see a physio. I ended up with frozen shoulder and needed surgical intervention. I should have seen the physio immediately.

If you can afford it, I would encourage you strongly to go see a specialist, quickly.

On the other hand, ER registrars are quite good for things like wound infections because they get lots of experience dealing with that in hospitals.


1. We don't have "ER"s in Australia. We usually have more than one room to work in. ;-) You'll usually find it's an ED or DEM.
2. Emergency Physicians are specialists.
3. Orthopaedic trauma, including joint dislocations, constitute as much of our practice as things like wound infections. If you have, for example, a dislocated shoulder, you've got about a >90% chance that it'll be an emergency physician reducing it for you, not an orthopod.

Just sayin'... ;-)
chriscole
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Great news Row! :D

+1. Good stuff! :D


I dunno...it's got pink on it. :roll: I keep telling her that red is cooler...but I suppose I'll ride with her anyway...if she can keep up!!

(Says me who hasn't ridden properly in 2 weeks because I ran 200m and it flared up my "knee surgery spot" and made it all sore and swollen!!)
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:09 pm

Oi! Thus threads about me! Don't you have your own?
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:11 pm

moosterbounce wrote:...but I suppose I'll ride with her anyway...if she can keep up!!

I so wanna be watching the next time you two get out together :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26012
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Moo can tell you all about the accident....
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 am

Mulger bill wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:...but I suppose I'll ride with her anyway...if she can keep up!!

I so wanna be watching the next time you two get out together :twisted:


We make a good pair actually - my top half is fine and her bottom half is fine :)
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 am

got a 2015 Specialized Ruby w Ultegra

So what's with the fat bits on the forks on those Specialized bikes? Is it a shock absorber? I rode a Roubaix once and noticed them but the guy who owned it couldn't tell me if there was something in there, or if it was just a design feature.
Image
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Fractured Ribs

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 am

Yeah, it's Specialized's shock absorber, so not just a design feature. The deciding factor was Busselton Ironman (full), I"m thinking about doing it next year and I wanted my training to be comfortable.

My felt is nice and I love it, it's speedy and responds well but aero frames aren't forgiving and when you're talking about 6 hour training rides and the like I wanted to be comfortable. I'd also ridden the Trek Domane a few years ago and loved the comfort of it, this is the equivalent of the Trek Domane, I just happened to decide on this one at the time.
Parker
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit