Foot problems

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
silentC

Foot problems

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:15 am

The last couple of months I've been having foot problems. It's mostly off the bike but I do get pain when climbing out of the saddle every so often. It's in the joint between the first metatarsal (behind my big toe) and the lower part of the ankle but only my right foot is affected. I think it might be caused by me spending too much time out of the saddle perhaps. The only time that hurts though is sometimes if I let my heel drop a bit in a climb and then it's like a sharp stab. Otherwise I get no trouble on the bike.

However it's when I'm off the bike that it can get quite bad and I hobble around flat-footed. The joint clicks quite audibly at times and every so often if I move the foot the wrong way, something moves and it is very painful. It did that one day when I was doing some planing (woodwork) and it became so sore I had to go and watch TV for the rest of the day I could barely walk on it.

I suppose I should go see a physio or something, but just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and what they did about it.

I fractured the calcaneus in that foot about 20 years ago and the bone saw said the fixation was one of the best he'd ever done but that I would probably still have trouble in later life. I saw a bloke on a medical show once having those bones fused because of a similar problem, hoping I don't have to go to that extent.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

ValleyForge

Re: Foot problems

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Have you got metalwork in that foot still? If so - Xray.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah I have but it's wrapped around the calcaneus (heel bone). This problem is occurring about half way down the foot just above and slightly forward of the centre of the arch. There's a prominent lump where the base of the metatarsal meets the cuneiform bone. S'pose I should go see someone about it. It's putting me off riding a bit lately.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Sounds very much like what I am suffering at the moment, right down to your description of the stabbing pain.

Good news is that I have been getting physio treatment and diagnosis (including x-ray) is osteo-arthritis plus bruised bone. Why would that be good news? Because cycling is not going to make it any worse and, according to physio, I should do more cycling because I can't do too much walking or dancing until it all settles down.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 am

I went to the physio in the end. He reckons I have a fracture in the joint (Lisfranc) and has given me a moon boot to wear. Off the bike for at least another couple of weeks. He says I can ride if I don't get out of the saddle but I won't risk it because I know what I'm like...
- Me

CW561

Postby CW561 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:40 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Have you got metalwork in that foot still? If so - Xray.
I second this :)