A decent saddle for a Gazelle Electric assisted bike

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
flashpixx

A decent saddle for a Gazelle Electric assisted bike

Postby flashpixx » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:14 pm

A friend has a Gazelle with an electric motor that she uses due to a knee problem.

Having ongoing issues finding a decent saddle. The main issue in her mind is that"she isn't 60kg anymore" and the upright seating position.

Has tried a number of saddles supplied on loan from the bike retailer, and various handlebar locations. Saddles all have a similar design that has "lumps" of padding that would sit under the derriere. I can see why it hurts so much! At the moment 15 mins is all she can stand without getting very very sore, and she is no wimp.

Any suggestions as to alternate saddle options? Brooks??

Thank you :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

ValleyForge

Re: A decent saddle for a Gazelle Electric assisted bike

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I bought my girlfriend a Brooks B18 Lady saddle - with the embossed top. Comfortable and looks the goods. She loves it.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:03 pm

ValleyForge wrote:I bought my girlfriend a Brooks B18 Lady saddle - with the embossed top. Comfortable and looks the goods. She loves it.
Thank you. Are Brooks readily available in OZ? Or more to the point Perth?
Gordon

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:30 am

Ideal cycles has some in South St O'Connor. Not sure on pricing, but on the Cambium it's only like $10 dearer than UK so leather saddles should be in a similar ballpark range I'd guess
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 am

If I recall correctly it was either get one from Sydney or adding it to on online order - there wasn't much difference in price once I added the Brooks panniers to the order.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:28 am

Baalzamon wrote:Ideal cycles has some in South St O'Connor. Not sure on pricing, but on the Cambium it's only like $10 dearer than UK so leather saddles should be in a similar ballpark range I'd guess
cheers :D
Gordon

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Cycles Bespoke in Bayswater always has a couple of Brooks hanging around at the shop, Gord.

Not too sure for specific models (although, I think just variations of the standard B-17's or whatever they are), but I would assume that they can order in more specific requirements.

Get down there and see what they can do. They are good fellas, and there is more often than not some very niiiice and exotic parts to ogle, or some nice builds going on!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Dirty32 wrote:Cycles Bespoke in Bayswater always has a couple of Brooks hanging around at the shop, Gord.

Not too sure for specific models (although, I think just variations of the standard B-17's or whatever they are), but I would assume that they can order in more specific requirements.

Get down there and see what they can do. They are good fellas, and there is more often than not some very niiiice and exotic parts to ogle, or some nice builds going on!
thanks Scott, been on my list of places to visit. Have a legit reason now :lol:
Gordon

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm

You may want to consider something even wider than the 210mm width of the B18 if she is having so much trouble. Like the B190 at 249mm, or the Sportourer Zeta at 233mm.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... duty/B190/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod120855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Nobody wrote:You may want to consider something even wider than the 210mm width of the B18 if she is having so much trouble. Like the B190 at 249mm, or the Sportourer Zeta at 233mm.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... duty/B190/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod120855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think we should be restrained a bit here else "does my saddle look big in this?" will be heard.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:57 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Nobody wrote:You may want to consider something even wider than the 210mm width of the B18 if she is having so much trouble. Like the B190 at 249mm, or the Sportourer Zeta at 233mm.

I think we should be restrained a bit here else "does my saddle look big in this?" will be heard.
haha I'm only prepared to present options, not recommend :shock: :mrgreen:
Gordon

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:02 pm

And I hasten to add on my significant other's behalf, her bike isn't an electric. It's a Cooper Oporto. If I get near it I'll post a shot of the seat & matching grips.