Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody
Posts: 8460
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Somewhere to put all your diet related stuff as a substitute to the "BNA Losers Club - 201X" threads.

Somewhere for people to discuss/argue diet stuff without getting in the way of people who just want to post and see loser club results. Having said that, I don't really expect this thread to take off or the loser club thread to be without diet posts. But at least I tried. :)


OK, to start here are a couple of short videos of the author of The Blue Zones book talking about his books and research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWeHhNIRxlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1zzLvGXBIE

Here is a video on the comments of Dr Pam Popper and Dr Dean Ornish on the recent American Dietary Guidelines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0S0sS7JEk

Nobody
Posts: 8460
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Well, so far it looks like this is my thread then. On the bright side, it's hard to argue with myself. :D

Below is my current diet. It's usually the maximum I would eat in a day.
Image

Getting a blood test on Monday and should know the results by the end of the month.

Been eating a diet similar to this for about 18 months now.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Nobody wrote:Well, so far it looks like this is my thread then. On the bright side, it's hard to argue with myself. :D


:lol: :lol:

Hey I might not have anything intelligent to add but I'll be reading your info. Can't argue with your results 8)

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Nobody wrote:Here is a video on the comments of Dr Pam Popper and Dr Dean Ornish on the recent American Dietary Guidelines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0S0sS7JEk


I watched that and agree re the vested interests in the food industry corrupting the message about what is good for us nutritionally. Profit is a strong motive for clouding the waters.

User avatar
skull
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby skull » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Can I argue with you even though I might have no idea what I am talking about?

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:24 pm

It's never stopped me before :wink: :lol:

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Diet Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 pm

I'll be interested. However my useful input will be minimal :lol:

My "diet" usually is -
Breakfast - raw oats, tbs trail mix, tbs honey, small cont. full fat Greek yogurt, 4 x pitted dates, "Smarter" low fat milk -

lunch - huge bowl of salad, tbs trail mix, shaved Parmesan cheese, Balsamic vinigar, olive oil and pepper when I'm at home at work it's usually left overs from dinner -

dinner is what ever I can be bothered making that the whole family will eat. As my wife is a vege we eat a lot of chickpeas, Dahl, tomato based sauces with rice/pasta/baked potato/sweet potato. For protein we'll have lamb steaks, salmon/mullet fillets, pork mince or sausages. We also eat home made pizzas and a lot of curries with vege's/chicken/fish.

I try to avoid eating after 8pm and on nightshift I usually don't have breakfast so it's a 20hr fast 2 times a week.

My biggest weakness is snaking, usually sweet biscuits and chocolate. This happens usually mid arvo and sometimes after dinner :D
Image

Johnelliss
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 am

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Johnelliss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Good. I do not diet strictly for cycling. But it is necessary.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:50 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
I try to avoid eating after 8pm and on nightshift I usually don't have breakfast so it's a 20hr fast 2 times a week.


That is not a bad effort :o
After 13 years I hate nightshift, so do what I can to get through it. This usually includes a vegetarian pizza straight up after a shower post the commute and before the shift starts and then a tasty meal of atlantic salmon banged straight into the sandwich press with stir fried veges and mushroom later in the night. For night time munchies I try to keep it healthyish by eating a cereal such as muesli. I have soy instead of dairy. I eat a fair bit through the night but not much the next day.

singlespeedscott wrote:My biggest weakness is snaking, usually sweet biscuits and chocolate. This happens usually mid arvo and sometimes after dinner :D


I thought you meant jelly snakes. They are a good short lived energy hit on the bike. :)

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Diet Thread

Postby silentC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 pm

My boss was training for a channel swim and his nutritionist had him eating a bag of jelly snakes before a long swim. Or was it after? Can't remember... And a litre of low fat milk with Sustagen powder.

No way I'm posting my diet here. Especially at the moment so close to Easter...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Diet Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:33 pm

warthog1 wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
I try to avoid eating after 8pm and on nightshift I usually don't have breakfast so it's a 20hr fast 2 times a week.


That is not a bad effort :o
After 13 years I hate nightshift, so do what I can to get through it. This usually includes a vegetarian pizza straight up after a shower post the commute and before the shift starts and then a tasty meal of atlantic salmon banged straight into the sandwich press with stir fried veges and mushroom later in the night. For night time munchies I try to keep it healthyish by eating a cereal such as muesli. I have soy instead of dairy. I eat a fair bit through the night but not much the next day.

singlespeedscott wrote:My biggest weakness is snaking, usually sweet biscuits and chocolate. This happens usually mid arvo and sometimes after dinner :D


I thought you meant jelly snakes. They are a good short lived energy hit on the bike. :)


I forgot to mention I don't drink soft drink, tea or coffee. My alcohol consumption is probably a total of a carton of stubbies over 12 months :shock:
Image

User avatar
skull
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby skull » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:14 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I forgot to mention I don't drink ... coffee.



I don't think you belong around here.

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Diet Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:18 pm

For something that smells so good it's tastes like s##t
Image

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:13 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
I forgot to mention I don't drink soft drink, tea or coffee. My alcohol consumption is probably a total of a carton of stubbies over 12 months :shock:
Nice work, that's will power.
I cant go without coffee.

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Diet Thread

Postby CKinnard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Just found this thread...I'll be a regular Nobody.
Had a great session after work this arvo...gave it stick! felt good in the crisper air that marks the real end of summer.
But!!! tried to be good on the way home....and failed. I succeeded at the fruit and vege shop....but then failed at the bottle-o where I succumbed to a bottle of $5 cab sav, which has now sadly, disappeared....all of it... :)

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 5127
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Diet Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Particularly sad that you stooped to a 5 buck bottle. Surely you could get some better quality vino?
Image

Nobody
Posts: 8460
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I forgot to mention I don't drink soft drink, tea or coffee. My alcohol consumption is probably a total of a carton of stubbies over 12 months :shock:
Similar for me too. Only water and peppermint tea, so no caffeine. Maybe up to 2 beers a year at social events.

Nobody
Posts: 8460
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Ran some numbers from datasheets for Omega-3 & Omega-6, as I was wondering exactly what I was getting daily.

Omega-3: 4.2g (Rec: 1.3g)
Omega-6: 14.7g (Rec: 13g)

So I'm getting enough according to the link below.
https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/fats-total-fat-fatty-acids

Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio is 3.5:1 which is OK, being between the recommended 1:1 and 4:1.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/essential-fatty-acids

Image
(clickable)

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Diet Thread

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:30 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Particularly sad that you stooped to a 5 buck bottle. Surely you could get some better quality vino?


I'd rather spend my money on bikes Scott. :) and I honestly think you can get a good wine for $5 these days.

I somewhat impulsively bought a CX just before Easter, as my Trek roadie broke a shifter and I decided to upgrade it to Di2...and have had to wait for it to arrive from UK.
The CX is not the ideal, which I realized before buying.
What I am after is the best all rounder which for me is
- relaxed geometry frame, preferably steel, though would consider alloy or carbon.
- able to fit up to 35mm tires
- lighter wheels, say no more than 1650g
- front 50/34 or even 48/32 if it exists
- rear 11or12 / 32or34 (so medium cage) I really want at least 1:1 lowest gearing so I have the confidence to go pretty much anywhere. When fit, I am able to get up the front and back of Glorious and Obi Obi Rd on 34:28 with a little posties zig zag.
- definitely don't want disc brakes. my experience with the cx discs is very disappointing (Tektro Spyre). I am not that aggressive a rider so am happy with cantilevers or even quality side pulls. And discs tend to get long grass caught in them.

And seeing this is a diet thread, keeping myself lower bodyfat is the best solution for better braking! :)

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 am

Nobody wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I forgot to mention I don't drink soft drink, tea or coffee. My alcohol consumption is probably a total of a carton of stubbies over 12 months :shock:
Similar for me too. Only water and peppermint tea, so no caffeine. Maybe up to 2 beers a year at social events.

There are other social events to go to you know. Tupperware parties are fun and all but you should see our local mormon tabernacle choir. They really rock. [emoji14]

Nobody
Posts: 8460
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 am

warthog1 wrote:There are other social events to go to you know. Tupperware parties are fun and all but you should see our local mormon tabernacle choir. They really rock. [emoji14]
There's advantages to being socially reclusive. You don't have to drink to fit in, or eat other people's food if you're not there. I need to be in control of my diet if I want to get to my goals.

As of this morning my WHTR is 0.43. What's yours Mr socialite? :P

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6798
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Diet Thread

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:50 am

I did warn you I had nothing intelligent to add. :)
In addition to be socially reclusive I am socially inept. As evidenced by the petty squabbles I embroil myself in on here from time to time. I am worse in person, so probably good that my only socialisation is on bunch rides where you don't have to talk that much. :oops:
Last edited by warthog1 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
casual_cyclist
Posts: 7758
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Diet Thread

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Nobody wrote:Somewhere for people to discuss/argue diet stuff without getting in the way of people who just want to post and see loser club results. Having said that, I don't really expect this thread to take off or the loser club thread to be without diet posts. But at least I tried. :)

In! Great initiative Nobody :D

Nobody wrote:OK, to start here are a couple of short videos of the author of The Blue Zones book talking about his books and research.


I find the Blue Zones research really interesting. Traditionally, these people mostly ate plants and traditionally had a longevity advantage. Now they are adopting a western diet, the longevity advantage is disappearing. It's like the French, who traditionally had low levels of overweight and heart disease but with a more western diet are developing both of these. It would be interesting if some researchers could quantify exactly what it is about a western diet that is unique in making people fat and sick. Is it just a lack of vegetables, legumes and fruit or is there more to it than that?
Last edited by casual_cyclist on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<removed by request>

User avatar
casual_cyclist
Posts: 7758
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Diet Thread

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Nobody wrote:Ran some numbers from datasheets for Omega-3 & Omega-6, as I was wondering exactly what I was getting daily.

Would you be able to run the numbers for zinc?

I suspect my intake is inadequate because I feel a lot better when I supplement with zinc 3 times a week. I haven't run my daily food through a calculator yet but I probably should. That said, I wasn't eating oats every day but I have started eating them for breakfast. While not 'rich' in zinc, oats do have some zinc.
<removed by request>

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Diet Thread

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:It would be interesting if some researchers could quantify exactly what it is about a western diet that is unique in making people fat and sick. Is it just a lack of vegetables, legumes and fruit or is there more to it than that?


You know that's an interesting question CC. Because if you looked at why people start to move away from a traditional diet, you might find they complain about being time poor and too stressed or tired to be bothered doing home cooking. So right there, increased lifestyle demands/stress is confounding dietary outcomes.
They could also be enticed into spending more time on forums, computer games, etc, rather than playing outside or going to bed early or generally getting more physical activity. Further, you might find it's younger generations that are adopting more of the 'fast' lifestyle. That's certainly the case in Okinawa, where the elderly still have the health advantage, but the young are hooking into Macca's etc, and losing the advantage. No doubt the kids are also into the computers more, and less physically active.

I'd love to spend my retirement tending my own vege patch. Over easter I got a lot of satisfaction from turning and enriching my garden soil with half a trailer of organic compost from a mate who is leaving a rental and didn't want to leave the soil he's cultivated for 4 years behind :) Not that I needed it that much. I've got a lot of happy earth worms in mine, and compost all my vege scraps.

Return to “Cycling Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: embee8