Type 1 diabetic - food

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jimszx14

Type 1 diabetic - food

Postby jimszx14 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Can the diabetics out there please help me out with what food they pack and take on longer riders. I have been a diabetic for 38 years and a cyclist during that time but am still learning and still regularly have low levels. I get sick of jubes, gels, bars and coke etc.

liamb

Re: Type 1 diabetic - food

Postby liamb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi

I always have honey shots in my jersey pocket not matter what, where, when. The natural sugar seems to work much better for me than lollies and there is no effect from hot weather. I also use Bellis Apricot fruit bars. Essentially apricot sticky bars. There is a good amount of "sugar" ie concentrated quick acting carbs and some long acting fruit carbs. I have a setting on my Garmin to alarm every 15mins and I try to take in a bite of the bar aond or a drink every 15mins. I generally have a bottle of diet cordial (cant stand flavorless water) and a single scoop of Endura hydration formula in a 700ml bottle. For anything 100km and over I also carry some dried fruit in a snap lock bag. If the ride is an organised ride like a Fondo and there is cake or banana's will grab one at some stage. I always carry a BSL monitor and check it whenever I get a chance to calm down for a few mins and get an accurate test. All of these food things were suggested to me by a dietitian who works with the AFL Adelaide Crows who worked with Nathan Basset who is a Type 1. As with every Type 1 we are all different. I have been riding for 5+ years and it took me a lot of trial and error to suss out how much and when. I can now set myself to race in Sportif's and short road races. Dont think i will ever have enough money to get a pump with a continuous glucose monitor that works like a pancreas, but I am pretty happy with where I am now HBA1c of 6.6 for the last 9 months.

Bill Nash
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

jimszx14

Postby jimszx14 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Bill, Thank you very much for the info. The alarm on the Garmin is a very good idea and something I did not think of. I don't know if you are the same, when I am riding I know I have to eat something, but particularly in a group, i just keep going. The alarm will reinforce the need to eat or drink. I have just started eating dried fruit and still working it out. There is a bit of a complication in that I am also a celiac so that limits my options a bit, there is still plenty of food out there to try though.
I borrowed a continuous monitor for a while, I didn't like it.

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:57 pm

I was all keen on a pump and continuous monitor until I found out just how much a monitor is and the $70 every 3 days for the sensor and health insurance wont cover a monitor. May try a pump next year but still trying to improve with a pen and a BSL machine. Eating and the type of food is just trial and error. I have seen a few people try to say they know the trick but it costs to know the trick and as everyone is different so not everyone will work the same.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Type 1 since 1964. Just rode from Perth to Peterborough SA.
I check my blood sugars about 6 X daily. Figs and lollies are in my emergency case. Water with them works well - faster effect if just sucked and the sugar-laced saliva is absorbed my the veins under the tongue. swallowing into the stomach takes more time for an effect on hypoglycemia.. For meals, ordinary foods are used. Roadhouse brekky split into 2 portions makes for 2 good meals.

I had to cut back on my soluble insulin and Lantace (taken 2/3 of the daily amount at 7 am and 1/3 of daily amount at 9 or 10 pm). Cut back by 20% or so. This works for me. My body performs better when it has some meat at brekky - ie bacon/snaggers.