BNA Losers Club 2017

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: BNA Losers Club 2017

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 am

(This time) I started getting serious about dropping weight in mid December 2016. I been through this before and I'm disappointed I let myself slide so far back into unhealthy habits.*

On 19/12/2016, I weighed 99.6kg and vowed I'd get down to a weight starting with the number 7 before the middle of 2017. Healthy eating and a routine exercise regime was required.

I haven't been riding regularly for a good five years. My activity on this forum has also dropped during that time ... :( So I got back on the bike. Just little commutes at first: ride to the station, catch the train, ride to work and reverse the journey home. About an hour of riding a day, spread over four 15-minute bursts.

A month ago I began the full commute (22.5km each way) and now (slowly) the leg strength is returning.

This morning I weigh 91.3kg and the BMI is 28.5 (calculated by my Garmin Forerunner 235). It's really great to be seeing progress.

To follow the format of the thread:
19/12/2016
Weight: 99.6
BMI: 31.2
WtHtr : 99.6/179 = 0.556

01/04/2017
Weight: 91.3
BMI: 28.5
WtHtr : 91.3/179 = 0.51

Cheers,
Graeme

(* I lost 30kg over about 6 months 12 years ago after hitting the 104kg mark on my 39th birthday.)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 am

RobertL wrote:
RobertL wrote: 6 January 2017
Height: 190cm
Weight: 108.2kg
BMI: 29.97
WtHR: 0.59 (112/190)

25 January 2017
Weight: 107.8kg
BMI: 29.86
WtHR: 0.58 (111/190)

16 February 2017
Height: 190cm
Weight: 106.8kg
BMI: 29.58
WtHR: 0.58 (110/190)
It's been a while, but:

3 April 2017
Weight: 105.9kg
BMI: 29.34
WtHR: 0.57 (107/190)

So, slowly heading in the right direction. There's a couple of things that I'll note:
1. I have a lot of trouble getting an accurate waist measurement. I'm not exactly sure where to measure. On the good side, if I experiment with moving the tape a bit higher or lower it doesn't seem to make too much difference.

2. In the last couple of weeks I have gone in a notch on the belt that I wear the most regularly. I had already shortened that belt by exactly two notches (5cm) so I have effectively come in by 3 notches or 7.5cm since I started doing all of this.

3. My measured waist size bears no relation to my trouser waist size.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 am

Well, yesterday was my first soccer game in 4 years...

When I last played I was in my late 40's and I would guess somewhere around 105-110kg. I also hadn't ridden a bicycle since my mid-20's. My wife would hate the start of each soccer season as I would invariably come home and collapse, wiped-out for the rest of the day. I gradually improved during the season but I still felt it.

Due to absolutely rotten weather and family/work commitments, my season preparation this year has consisted of three short informal training matches, two before Xmas and just one since then. So after 4 years off it was with some trepidation that I pulled on the boots yesterday morning...

I played all but 10 minutes of the game, and walked off feeling like I'd just done a 20km ride (my normal ride is 35-40km) - I was probably one of the fittest guys on the team! I was completely stunned!!! I suspect my more recent hit-outs on the trainer had a lot to do with it, but no doubt my riding in general has done absolute wonders for my general fitness. I'm still in shock! Aside from a back niggle that is unrelated to fitness, I don't even feel like I played yesterday!

This has only given me more motivation to fit as much cycling in as possible over the season; I'd have to say it's more effective (for me) than training (as we like to call it) and playing each weekend. I'm especially keen for more hit-outs on the trainer doing Zwift workouts!

Who'd have thought that cycling was actually good for you??? ;)
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Kalgrm wrote:(This time) I started getting serious about dropping weight in mid December 2016. I been through this before and I'm disappointed I let myself slide so far back into unhealthy habits.

To follow the format of the thread:
01/04/2017
Weight: 91.3
BMI: 28.5
WtHtr : 91.3/179 = 0.51
Welcome Graeme and thanks for posting WHtR & BMI. Yeah it's so easy to slide/fall into unhealthy habits when we're surrounded by people doing it and a society that appears to be setup to make it convenient to live unhealthily. I have to lead an independent life if I want to avoid doing it. For me that means doing my own shopping, cooking my own meals and taking my own food to social functions. As you probably well know, it's about being diligent in maintaining control of one's lifestyle.
RobertL wrote:3. My measured waist size bears no relation to my trouser waist size.
My body seems to go the opposite way. Regardless, with enough weight loss it should even out eventually.
tcdev wrote:I played all but 10 minutes of the game, and walked off feeling like I'd just done a 20km ride (my normal ride is 35-40km) - I was probably one of the fittest guys on the team! I was completely stunned!!! I suspect my more recent hit-outs on the trainer had a lot to do with it, but no doubt my riding in general has done absolute wonders for my general fitness. I'm still in shock! Aside from a back niggle that is unrelated to fitness, I don't even feel like I played yesterday!

This has only given me more motivation to fit as much cycling in as possible over the season; I'd have to say it's more effective (for me) than training (as we like to call it) and playing each weekend. I'm especially keen for more hit-outs on the trainer doing Zwift workouts!

Who'd have thought that cycling was actually good for you??? ;)
Although the muscle use doesn't match and I find I'm sore for a week after a long social soccer game, cycling seems to be a good fit for soccer in some ways. I can usually keep up with the young ones even though I'm 49 yo. I've heard cycling is good for snow skiing too.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 pm

2/4/2017
Weight 98.2
BMI 29.6
WtHtr 104/182=0.571
Fly out to the States for 3 weeks on Thursday. Tipping I will be back in the land of the obese upon return!!
brokenbus wrote:26/3/2017
Weight 99.0
BMI 29.9
WtHtr 104/182=0.571
brokenbus wrote:21/3/2017
Weight 99.1
BMI 29.9
WtHtr 104/182=0.571
brokenbus wrote:13/3/2017
Weight 99.3
BMI 30
WtHtr 104/182=0.571

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

brokenbus wrote:Fly out to the States for 3 weeks on Thursday. Tipping I will be back in the land of the obese upon return!!
Go to the land of obesity and come back obese. Nothing unusual about that I suppose.

http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Red is over 30% obese.
Purple is over 35% obese.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Nobody wrote:
brokenbus wrote:Fly out to the States for 3 weeks on Thursday. Tipping I will be back in the land of the obese upon return!!
Go to the land of obesity and come back obese. Nothing unusual about that I suppose.
Last time I went to the US I lost 20kg!
Have also lost 5 of the same 20kg in the last 4 weeks in Oz! :shock:

Ah well, BMI is back under 25, and heading for sub 22.
It feels good to be free of cravings....and be very comfortable eating very plain food again.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Nobody wrote:Although the muscle use doesn't match and I find I'm sore for a week after a long social soccer game, cycling seems to be a good fit for soccer in some ways. I can usually keep up with the young ones even though I'm 49 yo. I've heard cycling is good for snow skiing too.
I started to feel a little in the top of my thighs this afternoon, but certainly not enough to bother me. I had more trouble with my back - related to a disc bugle I was diagnosed several years back - that seems to flare up when I attempt to run. Funnily enough, even though I had issues during the aforementioned training runs, it was barely noticeable during the game, and I was a lot more mobile. Today a little stiffer though. Not sure if the recent workouts on the trainer helped there too?

Either way I was back on the trainer this afternoon. Not able to perform at my peak, but pushed through it. And still enjoyed it! ;)

Back on topic a bit; have to say I did let loose this weekend a little as far as diet was concerned, and it showed on the scales today. :oops: I'll be doing a few sessions just to regain some of what I lost last month it seems...
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm

CKinnard wrote:Ah well, BMI is back under 25, and heading for sub 22.
It feels good to be free of cravings....and be very comfortable eating very plain food again.
Contratulations. :)
For you, the hard part might be staying on the very plain food. The past has shown you have a challenging environment. The phrase "constant vigilance" comes to mind.
Having said that I'm probably "stacking it on" as we speak. Trying to gain some climbing power with more hill intervals than usual and lifting a little bit too. So I'm OK with going up to BMI 21.5 and a WHtR of 0.44 as I head into a Sydney winter. As much as I'd like to be quite lean all year round, it doesn't lend itself to gains or feeling warm in winter.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 pm

I was in the US for 2 weeks last July for work and it was when I stepped onto the scales upon return that I redoubled my efforts towards getting back on track with my weight loss again.

The healthiest meals I ate were, by far, breakfasts in the suites I was staying in. I allowed myself to sample the powered eggs and fried-to-a-crisp bacon rind once or twice but it was generally cereal and toast. Not exactly ideal but could've been far, far worse given some of the breakfasts I've seen served over there!

Lunches were pretty much out of my control. With no options within walking distance, the group decided on a restaurant/takeaway and we all piled into a couple of cars and that was it. Mexican, Indian, seafood, gyro/kebab, Japanese... oddly we rarely had burgers. Still, it was never going to end well.

Dinners were, for me, a nightmare. Over there for only a few weeks to do as much work as possible, it generally meant late(r) nights in the office, with perhaps one other co-worker. He'd head straight back to his hotel and I'd be left with a 20 min drive back to mine, and few options in the way of healthy eating - at least that I could actually find without getting lost. I'm not going to lie; after a long day all I wanted to do was find something quick to eat on the way to my room before Skypeing my wife & kids, preferably something I could take back, and that was often a burger or similar. If it wasn't too late, I'd wander up to the mall near my room and check out the food court - dire, dire pickings. :( Disgraceful. At least back home there's generally one or two healthier options... not in this mall.

All up I'd gained 2.2kg in the 2 weeks I was over there, only made worse by the fact that I'd been slowly gaining in the previous few months as well. My riding was sporadic and my diet was - not ideal. Fortunately since then I've lost about 13kg!

I think I've had 3 or 4 trips in recent years to the same office. If I had to go again, I'm really at a loss to say how things would go differently. I'd certainly maintain healthier breakfast choices but I feel that, for lunch at least, my hands are tied and dinners are very, very difficult to manage when you're (effectively) on your own in an area you don't know well, eating late(r) at night. Of course preparing any of my own food is simply out of the question under these circumstances too.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 pm

How to eat cheap and healthy in the US

Whole Foods salad bar, with tweaks!
http://kaleandcigarettes.com/how-to-bea ... salad-bar/

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 am

Nobody wrote: Contratulations. :)
For you, the hard part might be staying on the very plain food. The past has shown you have a challenging environment. The phrase "constant vigilance" comes to mind.
Having said that I'm probably "stacking it on" as we speak. Trying to gain some climbing power with more hill intervals than usual and lifting a little bit too. So I'm OK with going up to BMI 21.5 and a WHtR of 0.44 as I head into a Sydney winter. As much as I'd like to be quite lean all year round, it doesn't lend itself to gains or feeling warm in winter.
Nobody, I am confident I am on safe ground now re plain food. I've got the TN head space and satiety levels back, and really look forward to basic beans, sweet potato, and steamed vege! And most days, I am cruising through the 16 hour fast (no food from 8pm to 12pm), despite struggling to get comfortable on it in the past. I've also cut back on unsupportive social scenarios!

To reiterate, I think a big part of me getting comfortable in ketosis is avoiding high intensity efforts on the bike. I have to conclude I do enjoy riding just under lactate threshold, which very likely stirs a cortisol storm in me, and increases appetite. I certainly feel more calm and considered easing off the cycling. Though I am also doing less face time at work, which can be deceptively draining.

For those keen to lose weight, I'd suggest experimenting with intermittent or alternate day fasting. It can take a 5-10 days before you get comfortable, but it is worth exploring. The following video features David Goldman who I have spent a few months with. He is one of the USA's most knowledgeable dietitians and sports trainers, and specializes in fasting for weight loss and longevity. The interviewer is a bit long winded, but David does a good job of covering most people's concerns about fasting for weight loss.

Doug Lisle is a reknowned US psychologist specializing in weight loss/management and nutrition. I don't know of anyone who understands the psychology and physiology of overeating, and its correction better than him.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Two turned into eight weeks.. I needed some incentive to get back on the wagon, so I did some mountain riding. Been following good diet, my garden is raging with ten types of lettuce, park choi, spinach, tomatoes and cucumber. Consequently didn't gain any weight and lost another kilo and cm in the last week. So that puts me at half way.

Apr 21
87KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47

Patt0 wrote:After a two week break from strict dieting I am surprised to report that in the last week I have shed a kilo and a centimetre. Been nice indulging in boxes of Kara pops and snacks. I continued to abstain from chocolate. The habits I implemented in the previous six weeks are still solid. Have had some reluctance to suffer on the bike. Glad to have sorted that in the last week.

MAR 03
88KG
87cm waist
WtHtr= 0.47

Patt0 wrote:FEB 17
89KG
88cm waist
WtHtr= 0.48

Patt0 wrote: FEB 10
90KG
89cm waist
WtHtr= 0.48

feb 03
90KG
91cm waist
WtHtr= 0.49

JAN 27
91KG
91cm waist
WtHtr= 0.49

JAN 20
91KG
90cm waist
WtHtr= 0.49

Jan 13
WtHTr=0.50
92kg
waist=92cm

Jan 6
WtHTr=0.49
94kg

Jan 2 2017
WtHTr=0.49
94kg

age=46years
Height=184cm
Goal=80kg
[/quote]

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:36 pm

27/4/2017
I am back from the states. Thanks for the salad tip as it seems to have served me well. No I didn't eat salads all the time but usually had one for lunch. I didn't eat any burgers apart from a bite or two when my daughter had one that she didn't finish. Just wanted to see if the golden arches tasted different over there- Nuh!!!
Weight 97.7
BMI 29.5
Didn't do waist.
brokenbus wrote:2/4/2017
Weight 98.2
BMI 29.6
WtHtr 104/182=0.571
Fly out to the States for 3 weeks on Thursday. Tipping I will be back in the land of the obese upon return!!
brokenbus wrote:26/3/2017
Weight 99.0
BMI 29.9
WtHtr 104/182=0.571
brokenbus wrote:21/3/2017
Weight 99.1
BMI 29.9
WtHtr 104/182=0.571

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon May 01, 2017 1:43 pm

April check-in!

Started this journey mid-2014 at 114.5kg.

As of 2017:
12/2016: Weight = 98kg, WtHR=0.59, BMI=30.93
01/2017: Weight = 98.0kg, WtHR=0.585, BMI=30.93
02/2107: Weight = 96.5kg, WtHR=0.57, BMI=30.45
03/2017: Weight = 94.9kg, WtHR=0.57, BMI=29.95

May 1st:
Weight = 93.4kg (-1.5kg)
WtHR = 39.0*2.54/178 = 0.56 (take care/consider action)
BMI = 93.4/(1.78^2) = 29.48 (overweight)

Another mixed month with Easter (chocolate eggs), a brief illness, and a soccer injury that has had me off soccer and weights for 2 weeks but thankfully only off the bike for a few days. And whilst the results on the scales weren't stellar, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I've lost a whole inch off my waist! 8)

My pants are getting to the point now where I can't wear them even with a belt, as they bunch up too much! And even my belt needs another hole punched in it, as I wore it last week and my pants were in danger of falling down. A good problem to have, I suppose.

It's time to have another look at my diet and perhaps tweak it a bit more. I've been eating too much bread - and white at that - the last month so I've resolved to get back to better habits in that regard. And now my wife has urged me to give up my daily (lunchtime) Pepsi Max. Going to really miss it as it's my only source of caffeine, but the latest science suggests they're almost as bad as full-sugar soft drinks for weight gain. I've also been replacing any mid-afternoon snack - which was generally rice crackers or even raw pasta! - with a home-made banana smoothie.

So, 2 months to go and 3.4kg to lose to reach my mid-year goal. Not going to be easy and I'm going to have to really stick to my guns if I'm to achieve it.

Better news on the cycling goals - currently 300km ahead; only 20km short of 6,000km all-up and 28km short of 1,000km for the year. My goal was originally 2,000km for the year but with the trainer I'm now aiming for 3,000km, adding roughly 1,000km indoors.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Jubas

Postby Jubas » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Jubas wrote: Continuing to make progress, although a little slower:

Weight = 89.5kg - down 1kg since last week, down 3.5kg overall
WtHR = 93.5cm / 188cm = 0.497 = down .003 since last week, down 0.0216 overall

Was hoping for more waist reduction, but suspect the food and drinks on Australia day may have hindered that!

Ok, well that hardly went according to plan. Fiance booked in three sets of friends to come visit from overseas back-to-back for 7 weeks. Lots of dining out, drinking, and not much riding unfortunately! Have been back on the bike for the last few weeks and seem to have recovered ... mostly. First check-in for a while!

Weight = 90.5kg
WtHR = 94cm / 188cm = 0.5

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 am

May 05
86KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47
Patt0 wrote: Apr 21
87KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47

Jan 2 2016
WtHTr=0.49
94kg

age=46years
Height=184cm

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 pm

May 12
85kg
84cm waist
WtHtr= 0.46
:D

Patt0 wrote:May 05
86KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47
87KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47

Jan 2 2016
WtHTr=0.49
94kg

age=46years
Height=184cm

Slow Motion

Postby Slow Motion » Fri May 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Age 54 Height 183cm

1/04/17 116.9kg

12/05/17 106.9kg

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Done with my weight loss now. Time to go into consolidation mode.

Decided I was going to do something about being fat late Feb 2016.
Got to 97 kg by end of June and stalled there for a few weeks.
Decided I would give up on the occasional hybrid ride and get into road cycling.
Bought road bike end of July
Now 76 kg.
Size 42 pants down to a 32
Shirts from XXL down to medium.

Happy camper, addicted to road cycling and never going back to the big me.
I have worked purely on the kilojoules in versus kilojoules out method.
Running an app that requires me to enter what I eat and gathers estimated kilojoules used by riding and factors that in.
Not a perfect method as there is some estimation required, but used purely as a guide, it is good enough.

My 60th birthday coming up soon, what a way to celebrate it. I have not felt this good physically in many years.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Done with my weight loss now. I have not felt this good physically in many years.
Congratulations! That is impressive.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Another week another kilo less I am dragging up the hills.
May 19
84kg
84cm waist
WtHtr= 0.46
Patt0 wrote: May 12
85kg
84cm waist
WtHtr= 0.46

86KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47
87KG
86cm waist
WtHtr=0.47

Jan 2 2016
WtHTr=0.49
94kg

age=46years
Height=184cm

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm

1.78m tall

31/12/16 - 78.9kg, waist 82cm;
05/01/17 - 78.2kg, waist 81cm;
01/03/17 - 77.6kg, waist 78cm.

Haven't chimed in a while. My scales have carcked it and I haven't weighed myself for a couple of months.

Looking in the mirror I definitely have put on some weight, although I have been pretty good eating wise. However my cycling has been sporadic with only my commutes getting me through the week and the occasional outing on my days off.

With only a few months to the Noosa Strade Bianche I thought I had better pull out the digit get me some focus. This week I have gone back to my old 16hr fast that I did for nearly 20 years. Not eating breakfast has been tough. Buggers me how I use to do mornings on 2 glasses of water for all those years.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

20th May:

Waist 76.0 cm, up 1
WHtR 0.439

64.1 kg, up 1.5
BMI 21.4
Nobody wrote:23rd March:

Waist 75.0 cm, same
WHtR 0.434

62.6 kg, down 0.1
BMI 20.9
I've been avoiding this thread of late because I wanted to put on some weight to see if my general health improved. I'm not sure it has changed.
It was an interesting exercise getting really thin last year, but at my age (49) I don't think I'll try it again next summer. No firm goals for the rest of this year, other than to not put on too much more fat from here.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 pm

May 26
84kg
83cm waist
WtHtr= 0.45

SHopping for L size bibs. Got four pairs of xl that will all get relegated to commuting. XL shirts are getting loose. Not much is jiggling now.
Patt0 wrote:Another week another kilo less I am dragging up the hills.
May 19
84kg
84cm waist
WtHtr= 0.46
Patt0 wrote: May 12
85kg
84cm waist
WtHtr= 0.46

86KG
86cm waist