Uh... downstairs...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6796
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 pm

CKinnard wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
CKinnard wrote: If you think paw paw has some magic ingredient, eat more of it.


I believe it was recommended to me due to it's topical antiseptic properties, at least that was my understanding.
The bloke who told me is a cyclist of note. ie very experienced so some knowledge on what works or doesn't.


I've met a lot of cyclists of note Wartie. There's not a lot of agreement between them on what chain lube to use, let alone chamois cream!
Most pros don't even realize theres' water and oil based creams, but that's the property they most 'feel' the difference between product.

It's been a while since I looked into paw paw creams, which I did because I always have patients ask about them.
The therapeutic benefits are supposed to be best from fresh green paw paw leaves, not the seeds or flesh, and that's never stipulated in the ingredients.

Further, significant antiseptic properties are well established for tea tree oil and manuka honey, so why has paw paw made a splash? Because people perceive it as fleshy, moist, soft, and full of nutrition. But that's certainly not the leaves which have the stronger therapeutic qualities.

Incidentally, ime one of the best natural moisturizers is aloe vera, not out of a bottle, but scraped off the stems and minced up to break the gel matrix. I think it has mild antiseptic properties as well, as does most plant matter, until it oxidizes. I've sometimes mixed this aloe concoction in with sorbolene cream to make the cream 'wetter'.

And those who have promoted paw paw for antiseptic properties have also promoted it as a contraceptive.
The thing is it is easier to prove contraceptive benefit than antiseptic!

Re Compeed bandages (and taping), I didn't mention these because ime they usually come off or fold over on themselves with sustained riding. Nevertheless, if you have a sore in a less friction susceptible spot, give it a try.
Another thing I've seen is riders wearing two pairs of nicks = 2 x chamois! usually an older stretched pair externally.


Fair enough. He's an Olympic gold medalist on the track, but he is not a chemist obviously. Point taken. I know sh !t all about the product but it seemed to work ok as a chamois creme to me.

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby P!N20 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Just cut out a hole in your saddle in the location of said sore to relieve pressure and you're good to go.

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby CKinnard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:00 pm

warthog1 wrote:Fair enough. He's an Olympic gold medalist on the track, but he is not a chemist obviously. Point taken. I know sh !t all about the product but it seemed to work ok as a chamois creme to me.


So you are not talking about Perko. :)

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6796
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:57 pm

No.
Messaged you.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6112
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 am

Bloody bunch of girls. Start splashing some metho around and HTFU. :mrgreen: I rode with saddle sores from Bundy to Mackay with the big ones bursting whilst riding and at the end of the day, splashed the metho around and fixed it all up. Might bring tears to ya eyes :lol: but meh, toughen up princesses! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

g-boaf
Posts: 8600
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 am

Or you could just take the right precautions to avoid as much as possible getting them in the first place. :|

I rode over 1000km in a week in scorching hot conditions and didn't get any troubles with them.

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am

foo on patrol wrote:Bloody bunch of girls.


Sounds like a bunch of whiney men to me.

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby CKinnard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:Or you could just take the right precautions to avoid as much as possible getting them in the first place. :|

I rode over 1000km in a week in scorching hot conditions and didn't get any troubles with them.


same...and it ain't rocket science.

HTFU is all well and good until you learn by experience what an infection can do.

google pictures of epididymitis which developed in a mate when he ramped his volume.
a mate of mine got this, and require emergency surgery, and was off the bike for 10 weeks afterwards, and needed new bike fit, new saddles, new knicks.....and he revised his views about a heavy animal produce diet.

cp123
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm

maybe the poster could keep the area manscaped.... see here for assistance.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair- ... B000KKNQBK :twisted:





:lol:

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:44 pm

cp123 wrote:maybe the poster could keep the area manscaped.... see here for assistance.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair- ... B000KKNQBK :twisted:





:lol:


The review that will never die :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2232
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby MattyK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 pm

A couple of days on the commuter bike, a Saturday off the bike and all was good by today. Smashed the course pretty hard, no discomfort :)

Lan Wing
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby Lan Wing » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 am

Glad to hear your butt has been restored to its former glory.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 pm

So, I have this carbon bike. It's very very stiff and has no compliance from what you run over to what comes through the seat. One day a couple of years ago.. I didn't see a bump and I hit it. It wasn't big but it thumped me hard. :shock: I had what I would have described as "bone bruising" over the coming days.. or what felt like a bruise down there. :cry:

Anyway.. I just thought this would get better. And it kind of did. But at some point thereafter.. I developed what we'll call a cyst. Like a pimple but kind of well below the skin. It would come, and go. Sometimes I didn't notice it. Sometimes it was the size of a grape. Clearly this was a problem. :( I tried everything.. paw paw ointments, different shorts, seats, chamois cream. Nothing helped.

I saw the GP. He tried lancing it but it was unproductive. He tried to find a surgeon who he could refer to but he couldn't find anyone. So, he did it himself in the surgery. Unfortunately it swelled and became a haematoma. So, off to hospital this time to have it drained. :shock:

So I again ventured onto the bike some months later. It was OK for a while, but then my friend came back. Same again. Sometimes not there, sometimes a grape. Back to the GP and this time he found a surgeon. He did the slice and dice - this time taking a lot of tissue.

Analysis after showed is lump of traumatised tissue (non medical description) that the report said was typical for a cyclist. Anyway, it was really painful after, and effectively took me off the bike for another three months. I'm back on the road again now - and I think it's done this time.

Anyway, I haven't bothered telling this story before (who cares) but I thought I'd throw it out there as a cautionary tale to show how badly these things can go. :cry: :oops:

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby CKinnard » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks for sharing Comedian.
No health pro obviously told you, but there was a conservative option to lancing or surgery.

The timing is critical though, and it's best not to do this without diagnostic ultrasound to determine the size of the damaged tissue.
It requires a period of rest to settle inflammation or infection.
After that, heat and massage is gradually ramped up, within the bounds of pain obviously.
The idea is to loosen scar tissue and enhance circulation.
When these conditions have been chronically persistent, it is due to scarring and compromised vascular and lymphatic circulation. Once the scar is broken down and circulation improved, it is harder for fluid to accumulate in the area or infection to take hold.

Massage techniques around the ischial tuberosities and ischiopubic rami are common in pro cycling. Last year when I was involved with the Tour of California, I spent time with a US masseuse with over 20 years experience off and on in Europe. Deep tissue techniques for the saddle region were de rigueur in her copy book.

Optimum hydration and an occasionally water fast (4 days) or low Cal diet (at least a week). While fasting, the body preferentially catabolises scar and tortuous vascular bundles.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 am

CKinnard wrote:Thanks for sharing Comedian.
No health pro obviously told you, but there was a conservative option to lancing or surgery.

The timing is critical though, and it's best not to do this without diagnostic ultrasound to determine the size of the damaged tissue.
It requires a period of rest to settle inflammation or infection.
After that, heat and massage is gradually ramped up, within the bounds of pain obviously.
The idea is to loosen scar tissue and enhance circulation.
When these conditions have been chronically persistent, it is due to scarring and compromised vascular and lymphatic circulation. Once the scar is broken down and circulation improved, it is harder for fluid to accumulate in the area or infection to take hold.

Massage techniques around the ischial tuberosities and ischiopubic rami are common in pro cycling. Last year when I was involved with the Tour of California, I spent time with a US masseuse with over 20 years experience off and on in Europe. Deep tissue techniques for the saddle region were de rigueur in her copy book.

Optimum hydration and an occasionally water fast (4 days) or low Cal diet (at least a week). While fasting, the body preferentially catabolises scar and tortuous vascular bundles.

Wow... thanks for sharing. No.. I had no idea.. and I pretty sure the GP didn't know either... but lets face it's an obscure problem for a GP. I did consider seeing a sports doctor but for whatever reason it didn't happen (I guess I didn't push it).

Zippy7
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 8:33 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: Uh... downstairs...

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

+1 - Thanks for sharing. Goes some way to explain what happens down there at times - it's still a mystery sometimes.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users