DVT, PE and blood thinners.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
queequeg

Re: DVT, PE and blood thinners.

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 am

trailgumby wrote:
lgbran wrote:...Physical and mental health is something you can't take for granted.,
Cheers
Amen to that.

++ to that.

I’ve only agreed to prolonged time off the bike due to the uncertainty around the underlying cause. It has been a very slow recovery for me. The initial treatment with the CDT got rid of all the dangerous clot, but the long term scarring and PST is no easy fix.

My temporary IVC Filter comes out before Easter, probably after my January Ultrasound.

It’s likely I’ll be on the anti-coagulation for life, so I gave up bike racing and sold my race bike, but I am going to get back to commuting daily and going on weekend rides. I’ve got a new frameset coming in February, so I will have a project to work on until the filter is removed, then it’s a case of getting back in shape. I’m 10kg up on my weight at the moment, and the mental health is suffering because of it. I see a psychologist every couple of weeks to get me through. Physically my leg is slowly returning to what i’d call normal sensations. Hopefully the vein has shrunk a bit more and opened up at the same time. At the last scan it was still almost completely blocked, but as I have large collateral veins it’s not a huge issue.

Ultimately I think i would choose riding and dying early over sitting around and getting fat and dying of obesity. Where I struggle now is that my 2 hour commute on the bike has been replaced with 3 hours on a bus, and I no longer have time for any other physical activity as I have already lost an extra hour out of my day. My wife has been back at uni so I have been getting up to 5:30am, go to work, finish at 4, pick up kids at 5:45pm on my way home, then get them sorted. My wife gets home at 7:30pm, so there just isn’t any time in the day left at the moment.

Here’s hoping that 2018 turns things around.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 pm

queequeg wrote:Here’s hoping that 2018 turns things around.

That's tough. Can they do anything to mechanically remove the clot so the vein can shrink down (if I've understood that correctly)?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:24 pm

trailgumby wrote:

That's tough. Can they do anything to mechanically remove the clot so the vein can shrink down (if I've understood that correctly)?

I already had the wire up the vein with the clot busting drugs. What is left is the stable hard clot on the vein walls, otherwise known as scarring. They initially discussed sticking the electric eel in there to stir things up if the clot busting drugs didn't do their thing, but they did not do that in the end. From what I am told, the little mechanical thing is only effective on clots that are still "new", whereas I was sitting around for about 12 days before they got to me with the CDT (7 of those were in another hospital getting Clexane shots, but nothing else).

The only other option is a stent, which my doctor has ruled out saying that the preferred option is to avoid surgery if we can, and since my leg is pretty much unblocked, he says a stent won't change anything and will just add complications later in life.

The vein has shrunk on it's own over the last 3 months. The first scan in June had it at 5cm. The followup in early October had it at 3cm. Doc is hoping for 2.5cm in January. There is no indication as to what is "normal" for me, but my rather unique collateral veins suggest that either I was born this way, or I have had previous clotting without showing any symptoms (or both!)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm

queequeg wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

I already had the wire up the vein with the clot busting drugs. What is left is the stable hard clot on the vein walls, otherwise known as scarring. They initially discussed sticking the electric eel in there to stir things up if the clot busting drugs didn't do their thing, but they did not do that in the end. From what I am told, the little mechanical thing is only effective on clots that are still "new", whereas I was sitting around for about 12 days before they got to me with the CDT (7 of those were in another hospital getting Clexane shots, but nothing else).

The only other option is a stent, which my doctor has ruled out saying that the preferred option is to avoid surgery if we can, and since my leg is pretty much unblocked, he says a stent won't change anything and will just add complications later in life.

The vein has shrunk on it's own over the last 3 months. The first scan in June had it at 5cm. The followup in early October had it at 3cm. Doc is hoping for 2.5cm in January. There is no indication as to what is "normal" for me, but my rather unique collateral veins suggest that either I was born this way, or I have had previous clotting without showing any symptoms (or both!)

You are one lucky man getting away from this the way you have. I hope 2018 turns around for you. Hang in there!

lgbran wrote:I got back on the bike after Xmas and need to excercise daily for my ongoing mental wellbeing. I plan to ride as long as I can as in years, only ride now when the weather is favourable , otherwise use my concept 2. Rower and indoor spin bike to fight my demons. Physical and mental health is something you can't take for granted.,

So true. Riding is the best thing for that.