Cycling and suncreen

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Jawa

Cycling and suncreen

Postby Jawa » Tue May 02, 2017 9:08 am

Hi guys,

Has anyone had some positive experience (ie brands etc) with sunscreen protection and long day rides? Thanks to my European ancestry I burn pretty quickly so I always apply before I head out, but if you’re on a long ride the need to reapply is necessary. So, what with all the sweat and applying over how do you stay well protected? Tips?

Cheers

g-boaf

Re: Cycling and suncreen

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am

Yeah, I generally go quite okay with sunscreen. Just find a small tube of it and reapply every 1-2 hours. That tends to prevent me from getting sunburn.

I generally do four to five hour bike rides so it is necessary.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 am

that over the sweat too?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 am

You'll probably find that most Australian sunscreen creams are developed with our outdoorsy culture in mind meaning that most of it's developed for those who go to the beach often and go swimming.
So it doesn't wash off easily....use the highest number 5+ and beyond for maximum protection.

Ensure you ensure it won't run into your eyes..that stings like blazes....give back of neck a real good dose as well as usual legs, arms stc.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

I find most of the Australian stuff really greasy.

One day I decided to try my other half's avene sunscreen and it was amazing and light. I do find that it only lasts max 2 hours though and the stuff is quite pricey in Australia at least.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am

If you're not worried about looks or aerodynamics, I've got a Treadley Helmet Hat that I wear on really hot days, or to set an example on family rides.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

Calvin27 wrote:I find most of the Australian stuff really greasy.

One day I decided to try my other half's avene sunscreen and it was amazing and light. I do find that it only lasts max 2 hours though and the stuff is quite pricey in Australia at least.
I don't like the cakey greasy stuff either. It does resist sweat though but feels horrible and bugs stick to it.
A female cycling companion put me onto Neutrogena, Ultra Sheer Face Sunscreen.
Good for about 2 hours, not as expensive as Avena, I use it on my face only and it isn't shiny and oily.
Thick, thick goop for the rest of the exposed body, hate it, but it works.
1 Litre, pump pack of Cancer Council Ultra Sunscreen 50+ lasts me for an entire summer and beyond.
A peaked cycling cap helps too.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am

Tim wrote:

I don't like the cakey greasy stuff either. It does resist sweat though but feels horrible and bugs stick to it.
Good for about 2 hours, not as expensive as Avena, I use it on my face only and it isn't shiny and oily.
Yep, the womens stuff is amazing. It is pricey and I also use general bulk cheap sunscreen for the arms and legs.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Tim wrote:

Thick, thick goop for the rest of the exposed body, hate it, but it works.
1 Litre, pump pack of Cancer Council Ultra Sunscreen 50+ lasts me for an entire summer and beyond.
A peaked cycling cap helps too.
I think Choice did a report on sunscreens last year, and the Cancer Council's 50+ came out on top. I just make sure to rub it well into the skin, rather than leaving it caked on top.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Interesting topic. Wiggle sell a once a day sunscreen which I've heard good things about but have no experience with.

In 2013 I went to TDU with a mate. I was tasked to bring the sunscreen. I duly bought some really good stuff - EGO sport. It proved very effective at stopping us being burnt while being out and about for most of the day.

Unfortunately an unintended consequence was it destroyed the paint on his bike, and subsequently dissolved a sticker on my Ti frame. Just throwing that out there..

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Comedian wrote: I duly bought some really good stuff - EGO sport. It proved very effective at stopping us being burnt while being out and about for most of the day.

Unfortunately an unintended consequence was it destroyed the paint on his bike, and subsequently dissolved a sticker on my Ti frame. Just throwing that out there..
Wowsers :shock: that cant be healthy to use that long term

Thanks for all advice guys

Problem with this sort of stuff I find is all the marketing hyperbole the manufacturers use .. "water resistant" .. "sweat resistant" .. well no your product isn't. Cheap vs expensive .. is their any difference, probably not

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Jawa wrote:
Comedian wrote: I duly bought some really good stuff - EGO sport. It proved very effective at stopping us being burnt while being out and about for most of the day.

Wowsers :shock: that cant be healthy to use that long term

Thanks for all advice guys

Problem with this sort of stuff I find is all the marketing hyperbole the manufacturers use .. "water resistant" .. "sweat resistant" .. well no your product isn't. Cheap vs expensive .. is their any difference, probably not
My experience has been that no matter what you get - if you are out in an intense UV environment (like QLD) the best way is to re-apply often.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 pm

I use Ultraceuticals sunscreen. It's pricey ($60 a tube) but I have been using the same tube for 18 months now and it's still got plenty left.
It is high in Zinc so very protective, and I wear it for 2 consecutive soccer games in the March sunshine, sweating like a pig, and it stays on protecting me (bald). That's 3 hrs of super sweaty action, cycling is way less intense for me. After that it is still sometimes a bit tricky to totally remove. It also never runs, so no eye burns.

http://www.ultraceuticals.com/au/sunact ... otion.html

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:I use Ultraceuticals sunscreen. It's pricey ($60 a tube) but I have been using the same tube for 18 months now and it's still got plenty left.
It is high in Zinc so very protective, and I wear it for 2 consecutive soccer games in the March sunshine, sweating like a pig, and it stays on protecting me (bald). That's 3 hrs of super sweaty action, cycling is way less intense for me. After that it is still sometimes a bit tricky to totally remove. It also never runs, so no eye burns.

It might sound stupid but zinc hadnt even crossed my mind. When I think of zinc I think white noses and cricket in the 80s/90s

Just did a little googling .. seems while the sunscreens with zinc are the pricey ones they do work straight away, none of that 20 minute faff. Something to do with zinc creates a physical barrier whereas normal sunscreen is more easly absorbed and breaks down quicker.

Thanks bud !

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Jawa wrote:
SheikYerbouti wrote:I use Ultraceuticals sunscreen. It's pricey ($60 a tube) but I have been using the same tube for 18 months now and it's still got plenty left.

It might sound stupid but zinc hadnt even crossed my mind. When I think of zinc I think white noses and cricket in the 80s/90s

Just did a little googling .. seems while the sunscreens with zinc are the pricey ones they do work straight away, none of that 20 minute faff. Something to do with zinc creates a physical barrier whereas normal sunscreen is more easly absorbed and breaks down quicker.

Thanks bud !
Yes, sunscreens are divided into two categories, physical and chemical. Generally I think the physical ones are considered more protective and long lasting, but generally not as nice to use.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I hate sunscreen, so I don't use it.
I use summer arm sleeves and summer leg sleeves and these:
http://www.headsweats.com/classic-white/
https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-Sol ... -p/sol.htm

I've done 10 hours rides with this and hardly get any sun burn. I do slap some sunscreen on the face.

Just throwing another idea out there.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 pm

I use Pharmacy Choice Dry Touch SPF50+. non-greasy, works well.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:35 am

For starters, I set off at just after 5am in the morning and get back in within 2hrs on a 50km ride thus avoiding the extremes of exposure. I also only wear long sleeve jerseys with a neck collar and long fingered gloves. People have askdd if I cook, but with the air flow, I dond feel any different than with short sleeves and fingerless gloves. Nowdays I need a skullcap or bandanner, whick I am yet to purchase.

My sunscreen of choice is SPF30 Auscreen. It's not really greasy and stays on well, though I don't sweat much on the bike. While away recently we bought some ultrasheer sunscreen that is matt and not greasy at all. It's also SPF50. I'll be using that in future.

sparco

Postby sparco » Fri May 05, 2017 8:20 am

With sunscreens, don't you get any stains on your jersey/shirts? This is one reason why I stopped applying sunscreen on my face.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 am

The other thing .. is these days they have these cool UV forecasts. So, you can look at it and say "I'll be back by 9". So, it won't even reach moderate by then .. even assuming clear skies.

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/bri_rt.htm

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 am

sparco wrote:With sunscreens, don't you get any stains on your jersey/shirts? This is one reason why I stopped applying sunscreen on my face.
I'd buy darker coloured jerseys then.
A malignant melanoma will be a lot more costly to you (in many ways) than a replacement jersey.

https://www.melanoma.org.au/understandi ... tatistics/
http://skincancer.dermis.net/content/e0 ... x_eng.html
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat May 06, 2017 1:19 pm

From one of the above links:
"In Australia, 1 in 14 men and 1 in 24 women will be diagnosed with melanoma sometime in their life."
The incidence of basal and squamous cell skin cancers is much, much higher.
I wouldn't worry about a bit of sunscreen on my jersey.
A rub with Sard Wonder Soap before a wash gets it off.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 06, 2017 1:57 pm

sparco wrote:With sunscreens, don't you get any stains on your jersey/shirts? This is one reason why I stopped applying sunscreen on my face.
Ummm nope! :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Comedian wrote:Interesting topic. Wiggle sell a once a day sunscreen which I've heard good things about but have no experience with.

In 2013 I went to TDU with a mate. I was tasked to bring the sunscreen. I duly bought some really good stuff - EGO sport. It proved very effective at stopping us being burnt while being out and about for most of the day.

I didn't know bikes got sunburn.....
Not my circus, not my monkeys

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I used a Banana Boat sunblock that left yellow stains on a couple of white jerseys. Changed sunblock brands, no more stains.
Not my circus, not my monkeys