Rehydration

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Duck!
Expert

Re: Rehydration

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Really comes down to your personal taste. As per my earlier comment regarding the respective drink mixes, which is equally valid on the gels, I find the SIS stuff has an unpleasant sickly sweet taste due to its relatively high level of artificial sweetening, which seems to be exacerbated by the more dilute concentration of "stuff" - compared to other brands' gels, SIS has about the same quantities of electrolyes and energy, but in a larger volume sachet, the reasoning being so you don't need to take a drink with it.

Torq's big claim is that they use all naturally-derived ingredients in all their products, which to my tastebuds at least results in a fairly natural flavour - it actually tastes like what the flavour title suggests. So on terms of palatability, which plays a big part in wanting to use the stuff, yes, Torq is worth paying the extra for.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:49 am

I'm in the same boat regarding SIS as mentioned above. Much too sweet for my palate. I suppose there is some sciencey thought behind it though, as there is some research to suggest that just the sweet taste in the mouth (spit out afterwards) tricks the brain into performance gain. They must figure that tricking the brain AND providing some fuel will compound the impact.

With the Hi5 Energysource gels, they're quite liquid, so easy to get down, and not too sweet. Not quite as much carb per serve, though. 23g from memory. However, if you get them on special from Wiggle in a box of 20 they're only $1.20 each. :shock:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I hadn't used any sort of electrolyte drink for years.

A mate put me onto this from Kaged Muscle after he had been using it for about 12mths.

So far so good and it's sugar free. And not too sweet tasting.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm partial to Vega hydrator which is sugar free along with Jigsaw Health electrolyte supreme. Get vega from iherb and Jigsaw health from https://www.naturallyreplenish.com.au/c ... saw-health. And I personally add salt to it as I'm in ketosis and salt just flows thru me quickly which then depletes potassium which opens a bigger can of worms.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

User Name

Postby User Name » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Something I find a pain in the arse is rehydrating properly after evening rides, espeically in warm weather, because if I over do my fluid intake, I keep waking up all night to piss, and if I under do it, I'll cramp badly in my sleep.

I ride evenings on weekdays, and it's not uncommon for me to finish riding at 9 or 10pm.

First world problems? Ha

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I've just been having the raspberry Endurance Rehydration.. But given the issues I've had with cavities and the presence of different acids, I should check the pH level