Samsung GearFit2 watch live HR when cycling?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Ant_S

Samsung GearFit2 watch live HR when cycling?

Postby Ant_S » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 pm

G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone else wears a Samsung GearFit2 Watch when cycling and how accurate you find the live HR monitoring?

I got one for free a few months ago with my new phone so I started wearing it when commuting on my single speed. Previously I've never checked HR at all when riding, I've never had a device to do it and never felt any issues there. Saying that, I did have a concern with ectopic heartbeats last year and I'm over 30 now (33 in Oct) so I guess it’s good to keep an eye on (FYI all tests came back fine with a 24hr heart monitor).

When fully resting (e.g. sitting still watching Netflix) it gives me a resting HR of ~mid-50s. If moving/talking a bit it’s more like ~mid-60s.

I've used it now for about a dozen commutes to & from work, ~18km each way. I do have it a ‘touch’ loose and wear arm warmers in the morning and gloves always. I find it seems to be reading pretty high? I’ve been sick lately (virus) and not riding regularly but there was rides I felt I was taking it easy and I definitely don’t feel super puffed. I do feel my heart pumping quite hard when I stop after a big effort, but still not fully puffed.

Basically I feel like I’m working hard but at a fairly normal ‘vigorous’ exercise pace. Maybe like 60-80%? From what I read online, the Max HR for my age is ~188 and most people don’t even hit their Max HR unless they’re fully flogging themselves.

But according to the watch I’m way up there most of the time! See my last bunch of rides below.

Just curious what others have found? Have you compared it to another device like a Garmin chest strap? Cheers!

- 31.53 / 31.3km/h / Ave HR 149 Max 196
- 36.27 / 28.7km/h / Ave HR 156 Max 198
- 37.39 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 156 Max 198
- 36.53 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 125 Max 179
- 37.38 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 114 Max 179
- 31.53 / 31.3km/h / Ave HR 149 Max 196
- 36.27 / 28.7km/h / Ave HR 156 Max 198
- 37.39 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 156 Max 198
- 36.53 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 125 Max 179
- 37.38 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 114 Max 179
- 37.43 / 28.4km/h / Ave HR 163 Max 210  this morning

madmacca

Re: Samsung GearFit2 watch live HR when cycling?

Postby madmacca » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:08 pm

1. The 220 minus age formula is OK for the population as a whole, but useless for predicting MHR for any one individual. That said, some of the numbers in your post seem way too high for anything less than a close to maximal effort (which doesn't sounds like your commute).
2. Positioning and placement is important for OHR accuracy. It should be pretty snug (at least while you are exercising), and on the fleshy part of your wrist away from your wrist bone. Excess movement of the watch means extra light will enter the sensors, which it can interpret as a faster HR. The big difference in average HRs for similar ave speeds suggests that there are accuracy issues with at least some of your rides.
3. You also need to let the watch get a firm lock on your HR before your ride.
4. Some people find the vibration transmitted through the handlebars can lead to overestimation of HR.
5. The biggest problem with OHR is that it is slower to respond to changes in HR than a chest strap. This is pretty minor for most cycling, but makes it nearly useless for HR based interval training.

Try addressing issues 2 & 3, and on 4, perhaps compare the HR with perceived exertion in cycling versus some other sports?

Ant_S

Re: Samsung GearFit2 watch live HR when cycling?

Postby Ant_S » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Cheers for the response madmacca. I guess not many people bother with Watch HR with all the Garmins etc out there!

I'll try tightening the watch another hole for when I cycle & be careful with positioning it. Also when I hit the Start button it counts down 3-2-1 so I'll hit that a bit sooner and make sure it starts prior to me moving off. Given my bike is steel & I run Gatorskins it is a bit harsh but I don't think there is 'too much' vibration on the majority of my ride so hopefully that isn't a big factor.

In regards to other sports, that is a good point. I actually don't do any other exercise except riding, walking & some weights at home. So perhaps I should go for a few runs and compare too.