(A little bit more than) post-flu asthma

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
trailgumby

Re: (A little bit more than) post-flu asthma

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Doppler ultrasound earlier this afternoon found DVT in left leg. Seeing vascular surgeon in about an hour.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:Doppler ultrasound earlier this afternoon found DVT in left leg. Seeing vascular surgeon in about an hour.

I flicked to the last page and man that escalated quickly!

Went back a few posts and man it just gets worse! Best of luck for recovery and for what it's worth yes my lungs are still struggling from this seasons cold.
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Calvin27 wrote:I flicked to the last page and man that escalated quickly!

Sure did. :oops:

The lung guy showed me the difference today between the x-ray taken when he saw me 2 weeks ago to the one taken taken in the ED last Wednesday. Looks like I've had a "lung attack" (like a heart attack but involving parts of the lung losing blood supply instead). The good news is it will fully recover. The other piece of good news is I don't need a filter installed to catch any new bits of clot before they reach my lung arteries. That would have required a monthly grease and oil change. They don't offer fixed price servicing.

The not so good news is I may be on some form of anti-coagulant for up to 2 years. :shock:
Seeing haematologist 3pm tomorrow.
Last edited by trailgumby on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 pm

trailgumby wrote:The not so good news is I may be on some form of anti-coagulant for up to 2 years. :shock:

Tell them not to hold back anything that could be performance enhancing!
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Update:

I spent about half an hour on the KK trainer at a super easy very low heart rate today. Averaged just under the max advised by the doctor of 120bpm for the last 20 minutes... well below my usual easy endurance rate of about 140bpm. Didn't even raise a sweat, which led to some challenges getting the HR strap to work, but a few dribbles from the water bottle eventually sorted that.

Hardly any effort required with breathing either, which was very reassuring. While I had to have a nanna nap this arvo, it gives me some confidence to be a bit more active around home and doing normal stuff, which was a source of anxiety a few days ago.

The only downside is my butt was extremely uncomfortable. Amazed at how quickly you go soft in that area - this is probably my most comfortable saddle :oops:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Good to hear, glad you're feeling better-ish.
mmm, BioPace

kb

Postby kb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:Update:
Hardly any effort required with breathing either, which was very reassuring. While I had to have a nanna nap this arvo, it gives me some confidence to be a bit more active around home and doing normal stuff, which was a source of anxiety a few days ago.

Good to hear.
trailgumby wrote:The only downside is my butt was extremely uncomfortable. Amazed at how quickly you go soft in that area - this is probably my most comfortable saddle :oops:

The trainer tends to exaggerate that..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am

Hoping for the best for this guy. Major crash in the last 12 months could be a trigger for blood clots forming and then breaking up to lodge elsewhere and start up a PE. Symptoms are eerily similar.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... wer-352284