Dislocated and Fracture Shoulder

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Parker

Dislocated and Fracture Shoulder

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Where else do you go when you want some sympathy and understanding? To the forums of course.

I was riding up Mother-in-Law on Sunday at about 5km/h when my front wheel came up on a right hand turn, I went to grab the tree nearest to me, so I didn't fall down and ended up hitting the tree with such force that I dislocated my shoulder and in-turn fractured the humerus. They got my camel back off and got my bike off me, I stood up and my should popped back into place... probably from all the tape on my shoulders from the physio the day before.

It really hurt. A lot.

I went to SJOG Midland and was seen to pretty quickly, so I can't complain about that. My physio sent me of for an MRI which I did yesterday and now I'm waiting for the results!

I couldn't put the picture up of the xray.

It's now Wednesday and my movement has improved heaps, so I'm hopeful I'm not of the mountain bike for to long

RonK

Re: Dislocated and Fracture Shoulder

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Bugger! That is too bad. Hope your rapid improvement continues and you are back to normal sooner than later.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Has Parker ever been "normal" - I thought she was much better than that. :D

Having buggered both my shoulders at various times you have my sympathy. Until you have done it you don't realise just how hard it is to imobilise your shoulder - you bump it during your sleep, put tension through it when you sit up, Argh

Hope you have a speedy recovery

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:Has Parker ever been "normal" - I thought she was much better than that. :D

This made me laugh :D

The MRI is in, so I go to the physio tomorrow morning for more information :D

How exciting!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:53 pm

find_bruce wrote:Has Parker ever been "normal" - I thought she was much better than that. :D

Having buggered both my shoulders at various times you have my sympathy. Until you have done it you don't realise just how hard it is to imobilise your shoulder - you bump it during your sleep, put tension through it when you sit up, Argh

Hope you have a speedy recovery

:cry: All of the above, heal well Row :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 pm

*crosses legs* Shoulders - they definitely hurt. I exploded mine out in an OTB about 9 years ago. Still remember it vividly. :x

Hope it's not too bad and you heal up quickly. The good news with popping back in so quickly is that the ligaments might not be as badly stretched, reducing the likelihood pf a repeat. The physio is a great first port of call.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 am

Parker wrote:Where else do you go when you want some sympathy and understanding? To the forums of course.

Sorry. Having suffered three shoulder dislocations, six tendon reattachments and snapped longhead tendons in left and right your expectation falls on deaf ears. :wink: :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:56 am

Ouch, I fracture dislocated my shoulder in 2006. 9 pins and a plate and 7 months of no riding.

Hope yours heals quickly.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:23 am

So, I've been to the physio for the results, there is only minor tearing, nothing that can't be fixed by squishing my tendons and muscles back together.

Six weeks of the bike to start with and then we re-evaluate after that point. No sling required anymore, I am allowed to drive but it really hurts when I park so I'll just take the bus for a few weeks, I used to drive because I'd go to Yoga in the evenings but can't do that now...