Cycling with Diabetes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Humphrey1957

Cycling with Diabetes

Postby Humphrey1957 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am

I have searched and there are a few mentions in different threads but none specifically relating to riding with Diabetes.

I was diagnosed with type two over 20 years ago even though I was pretty active I swim Surf and run on a regular basis.

In 2012 I was diagnosed with a Failing Bicuspid Aortic heart valve. A genetic disorder which had been undetected all my life.

In 2013 I underwent OHS to replace my valve and they discovered my kidneys were failing due to the diabetes medication I was on.

Since 2013 I have been Insulin dependant and put on a stack of weight.

In December 2016 I started riding to the swimming pool where I have been a regular lap swimmer for 7 years.

At first I found it a struggle to ride the 20 k round trip. Balancing my BGL and weight.

I dropped 20kg fairly quickly and now my weight has stabilised somewhat at 95.

What are your experiences with Cycling with Diabetes?
Eat less. Move more and keep breathing.

Humphrey1957

Re: Cycling with Diabetes

Postby Humphrey1957 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am

I had a read of the Fasting before riding thread http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 49&t=96135
There are some interesting strategies there.

There just doesn't seem to be any study done on the subject. That I can find.

I am keen to hear from any diabetic riders and their experiences Good or bad.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am

You may gain useful insight from reading this page on the Team Novo Nordisk web site, a pro continental cycling team comprised entirely of athletes with diabetes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks Ronk for that link.

I had briefly heard about a team while watching the Tour consisting totally of Diabetics.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Humphrey1957 wrote:What are your experiences with Cycling with Diabetes?
Can I just ask about what your end points are: better weight loss, managing BGLs when exercising, reducing insulin doses. riding with a pump perhaps?

Otherwise you will get a bit of static. :lol:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I have just turned 60 My control is pretty good.
HbA1c currently runs about 5.3 and What I have learned is from personal trial and error.

I have been Insulin dependant since 2013 and would like to share my experience.
What I had great difficulty getting my head around was the interaction between Insulin and exercise.
There seems to be a cloak of silence with some medical professionals.
You might know as much as them and make them redundant.

I would go with the doctors recommendation with insulin dose and as soon as I started to exercise I would go Hypo.
Then I would need to eat and go high again. Weight was going up daily.

I eventually was so overweight that I developed an umbilical hernia.

After I recovered from that I was 125kg.

I started riding every day.
I reduced my morning insulin from 60 units to 20 and could maintain my BGL as long as I rode 20k each morning.

My evening insulin dropped to 20 as well.

I am curious as to how others manage their BGL and exercise.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm

What you are finding is common - exercise increases your sensitivity to insulin (in T2DM), and your weight loss does likewise. It is probably a degree of complexity that is better run by an Endocrinologist - especially a younger one. They would offer an individualised dose (by text often). Fewer & fewer GPs can manage this or are comfortable doing this.

In men especially, insulin promotes hunger and weight gain. It's a terrible "catch-22" for older male T2DMs - insulin dose goes up to keep BGL under control but they get ravenously hungry. Drop their insulin dose to get their weight under control, and their control disappears.

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks for your input.

I had a back injury which stopped me being active and then my aortic valve failed.

I find that the more I ride the less hungry I get and the more I can reduce my insulin dose.

It has been a struggle getting my fitness and strength up to the necessary level.

If I dont get on my bike for a few days I find my BGL creeps up and Insulin just wont keep it down.

A younger Endo Is a good suggestion. Last time I went to see one his waiting room was full of amputees.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Humphrey1957 wrote:A younger Endo Is a good suggestion. Last time I went to see one his waiting room was full of amputees.
Don't end up in Vascular Surgery Outpatients then!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Well the short of the carrot is to stop eating foods that spike YOUR blood sugar. Get your blood sugar stable and then try and reduce it.
Vegan, paleo, keto, and fasting will all reduce your blood sugar. Common theme is Just eat real food.

I was never diagnosed type 2 but I definitely had pre diabetes with Acanthosis nigricans and I'm still insulin resistant as I've got skin tags still. Now taking up fasting myself. 4 day fast coming up now and it's easy for me as I'm keto.

But what ever you do consult with your gp or an Endocrinologist
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm also diabetic Humphrey.

Just wondering what dietary changes you've made over the years?

Thanks. :)

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 pm

We have a bit in interest in the subject.

My eating habits are pretty boring but I know how my BGL is affected.
I have been type two for twenty years and dont eat refined sugar or processed pre packaged crap.

This morning waking BGL was 6.5 I went 15 units of insulin ( Novomix 70/30 ) 1 Weetbix with almond milk and a cup of green tea.
I can probably reduce my insulin further if I follow the same routine.
If I dont exercise in the morning 25 units are about right. .

I rode to the velodrome about 5k and then rode 10k round and round. BGL was 3.7.
I always carry some muesli bars with me so I had one of them and rode home BGL 5.9
Its all been trial and test.

Trial and testing has led me to Mother earth Baked Oaty Slices
Get them at Coles when they're on special for 4 bucks a pack.

Lunch time is usually an apple. Some Ryvitas and a tin of tuna. That gets me back up a bit and then I ride to 10 k to the swimming pool where I swim enough laps to get my BGL under 5. Usually somewhere between 20/40 laps and then ride home on another muesli bar.

Evening is usually a chicken breast and a bowl of Veggies.
I try to keep my Insulin to 20 units at night but check it about tenpm I can top up with some Fast.

Meal times are pretty boring so my wife cooks her own stuff.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Humphrey1957 wrote: My eating habits are pretty boring but I know how my BGL is affected.
I have been type two for twenty years and dont eat refined sugar or processed pre packaged crap.
Figured that :) Your diet looks good.
If your renal function has returned to normal, and you have an active care-plan via your GP, a dietician with an interest in sport/exercise might be worthwhile. I'd lean toward a hospital-based clinic as you need a diabetic take rather than a pure exercise consult. Once again a young Endo will likely have some suggestions.