BNA Losers Club 2018

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
RobertL

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby RobertL » Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm

tcdev wrote: It's funny, from 2014 'til the start of this year I'd gone from 114.5kg to ~95kg. Sure people commented "you've lost a bit of weight" but since then I've lost (just) another 5kg and those same people are now saying "wow, you look great!" There seems to be some tipping point where you go from being "less fat" to "looking great", regardless of how much weight you've lost along the way!?! :)
Yeah - I'm down from ~120kg to ~98kg. One of my goals is to get to where somebody tells me that I'm "too thin".

I'm several kg away from that, but it is a goal. I figure that with the general normalisation of being overweight in society these days, looking "too thin" to the average person is probably about right :) :(

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 pm

RobertL wrote:I figure that with the general normalisation of being overweight in society these days, looking "too thin" to the average person is probably about right :) :(
Yeah it has only been 2 weeks since I last heard the "too thin" commentary. :roll: The price of being a healthy weight in an unhealthy society I suppose.

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Wed May 30, 2018 5:36 pm

tcdev wrote:
b4igo wrote:So slow and steady progress and still a way to get to my initial goal of <80kg. I look noticeably thinner though (everyone is commenting!) and feel a million times better!
Nice work - congratulations and keep it up!

It's funny, from 2014 'til the start of this year I'd gone from 114.5kg to ~95kg. Sure people commented "you've lost a bit of weight" but since then I've lost (just) another 5kg and those same people are now saying "wow, you look great!" There seems to be some tipping point where you go from being "less fat" to "looking great", regardless of how much weight you've lost along the way!?! :)
That’s a great effort tcdev!

I’m not sure if i will ever get “you look great”... I did get a “it’s great to see old guys out” when I told someone my age the other day. :shock: And I’m only 44 :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:28 am

7 days since last measurement.

Waist 74 cm - down 1
WHtR 0.430

61 kg - Down 1
BMI 20.6

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am

May check-in!

Started this journey mid-2014 at 114.5kg.

As of 2018:
12/2018: Weight=95kg
01/2018: Weight=94.1kg, WtHR=0.55, BMI=29.7
02/2018: Weight=93.2kg, WtHR=0.55, BMI=29.41
03/2018: Weight=91.0kg, WtHR=0.54, BMI=28.72
04/2018: Weight=90.5kg, WtHR=0.53, BMI=28.56

Jun 1st:
Weight = 90.2kg (-0.3kg)
WtHR = 93.0/177 = 0.53 (-1.5cm) (consider action)
BMI = 90.2/(1.77^2) = 28.79 (overweight)

One thing to note: my height is now "officially" 177, down from 178. It has been (more) consistently measured as 177 for the last few years now, so I'm going with that from here-on in. Hence the (rather surprising) 1.5cm reduction in waist, same WtHR, and increased BMI.

And my doctor is happy that my blood pressure continues to fall. A few weeks ago it was measured at 137/83, down from 139/94 when he last measured it. He would like it to be <130/80, so still a way to go.

Although I didn't finish the month under the "magic" 90kg mark, I did spend a day or two during the month at 89.9kg. At the risk of trotting out more excuses, I really did get some majorly bad news this month which side-tracked diet and exercise for a week or more. But that's life. Still, downward progress with weight and waist measurement (almost down to 36"), which is good!!! I'm now at the stage where I need to buy new pants; even with drawstrings and belts they're simply too big now. And I'm just starting fit better into XL shirts, rather than XXL. That's a pretty scary thought considering I used to think I wasn't _that_ overweight!!! :shock:

For now the plan is to continue as I have. If I lose just 200g this month, I'll be on track with my yearly goal at the half-way mark, though I would like to do slightly better (another 500g) and hit 30kg total loss by year end. I know exactly what my failings are, but for now, they're manageable and whilst the scales are still tipped towards losing weight, I'm happy enough with my progress. To a degree I'm worried about excess loose skin but thus far there's no evidence - aside from that which can be directly attributed to old age - so this rate of loss will do me just fine!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, people are really starting to notice now, more-so than ever and I've even had someone comment "Don't lose any more weight". Of course I know where it's all sitting and know there's still more to be lost. Besides, I want to get at least a little faster at climbing, and also improve my FTP! ;) And the difference it has made on the soccer field is simply astounding!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:23 am

RobertL wrote:Yeah - I'm down from ~120kg to ~98kg. One of my goals is to get to where somebody tells me that I'm "too thin".

I'm several kg away from that, but it is a goal. I figure that with the general normalisation of being overweight in society these days, looking "too thin" to the average person is probably about right :) :(
Agreed, but you're probably more likely to get that comment from people that know you. I have a mate who lost, IIRC, about 35kg and at his lightest, I always thought he looked a bit gaunt. In reality, he's not tall and still weighed 80+kg, so he was probably far from it. There's plenty of people that weigh less than that that I wouldn't think looked gaunt. But because I knew him for many years, he appeared that way to me. He's put on just a few kg on since then, but has maintained that for a few years now, so he's doing well.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:02 pm

tcdev wrote:May check-in!

Started this journey mid-2014 at 114.5kg...

Jun 1st:
Weight = 90.2kg (-0.3kg)
WtHR = 93.0/177 = 0.53 (-1.5cm) (consider action)
BMI = 90.2/(1.77^2) = 28.79 (overweight)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, people are really starting to notice now, more-so than ever and I've even had someone comment "Don't lose any more weight". Of course I know where it's all sitting and know there's still more to be lost.
I've had at least two people say this to me (repeatedly) and think it's total rubbish and echos the overweight norm of society. Both the people telling me this were obese. So they are advising you, a person who is still in the overweight range for WHtR and weight, to stay there. Irresponsible IMO. You are still at a higher risk of all sorts of chronic illnesses. Not to mention the increased load and therefore wear on joint etc. Obviously choose whatever goals you want, but don't even consider any of those comments to be even remotely valid. To me they are just rantings of the unhinged. IME, for a man, when you get under a WHtR of 0.42 or BMI of < 20 you may have cause for concern, depending on build.

I'll give you an opinion from the other end of spectrum. Although it's good to have achievable goals, I still think some goals here are too low (or high in weight and/or circumference) and so hindering people's progress. Easy for me to say, but I'd at least try for a goal in the "normal" range for WHtR. My opinion may be as unproductive as the ones that advise you to stay less healthy. But at least you've now heard the ranting from both sides. :)
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Nobody wrote:I'll give you an opinion from the other end of spectrum. Although it's good to have achievable goals, I still think some goals here are too high and so hindering people's progress. Easy for me to say, but I'd at least try for a goal in the "normal" range for WHtR. My opinion may be as unproductive as the ones that advise you to stay less healthy. But at least you've now heard the ranting from both sides. :)
You can rest assured that I don't take any of those (other) comments to heart! :wink:

I've experienced the difference that 25kg has made in the last 4 years and it truly is enlightening. I can also see how measurable health indicators such as blood pressure have improved; I have only one kidney so it's even more crucial for me. As I said, I've still got a way to go there.

As I advance into my early 50's now it's even more telling as I see those around me leading sedentary lives, many of them medically obese, increasingly struggle with a long list of related health issues. My cycling 'obsession' (as my wife likes to call it) has really had a big impact on my lifestyle and only motivates me to continue losing weight and improve my fitness. Besides, I really do enjoy it! :D

And I am pretty sure that I am setting myself realistic goals.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Brendo09

Postby Brendo09 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm

16th April 2018 - 119.5kg - tight 40 inch waist
1st May 2018 - 118.0kg - looser 40 inch waist
1st June 2018 - 117.5kg - still to measure waist accurately.

I had an awful month. Caught the flu early on and it drained me. I did hardly any trainer riding, hardly any body weight excersice, and didn't eat particularly well. I did get to 116.4kg early on, but ...

What I have noticed is that eating is something that I have to be be on the ball with every day. The relaxed and comfortable way of eating just doesn't do me any favours. It's annoying, but that's how it has to be. Watch EVERYTHING I eat. And drink heaps of coffee :)

Keep up the good fight people!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:41 am

tcdev wrote:And I am pretty sure that I am setting myself realistic goals.
I'm glad you quoted me as it highlighted that I wasn't concise in my meaning. I've corrected that now. I meant that the goals were too low, or too high in goal weight.

Although I didn't specifically refer to anyone in regard to goals, I'll use you as an example. Your 85 kg weight goal, 10 kg in a year, or 0.833 kg per month is very realistic. So realistic that at year end you'll still be technically overweight for your 177 cm height. My point being that if you had set a goal of 72 kg, a BMI of 23, for a total loss of 23 kg in a year, or 1.91 kg a month, then you are far more likely to have made bigger changes to lifestyle to get there. Also even if you fail to get to 72 kg, then you are still far more likely to pass 85 kg on the way. At the moment it looks like you've been about 90 kg for 2 months and winter has arrived. You could get to 85 kg in 5 weeks if you make some structural dietary changes, since it is common to lose 1 kg per week by these changes. Most people can. As can be seen above, I lost 1 kg recently in a week from small dietary changes and that is from a low BMI base. Which is more difficult because BMR is lower and the body usually tends to fight it more.

Sorry if the above reads like an attack on you. It's not meant to be. I'm just using you as an example to try to encourage everyone to set some bigger (lower weight) goals and chase them. Even if you don't achieve them fully, you are very likely to feel better, be healthier and in better shape in 6 months than otherwise.

Obviously bigger changes are going to usually take more than getting rid of the junk food and keeping the exercise up (which appears to be the common approach). This approach appears superficially logical. But what most people consider to be a healthy diet in AU is usually neither that healthy, nor good for weight loss. Instead, I suggest that everyone that is trying to lose weight educate themselves to some degree on the subject of diet. Then analyse their diet and make the necessary changes. Yes, this takes effort. But it is the easiest way to lose weight, so well worth the time and trouble. To that end, there is a guide in post #1. It obviously works since I'm technically underweight according to most ideal body weight calculators and I'm not using all the advice, or doing a lot of exercise. Most people won't have to go to any kind of extreme. But significant results usually require significant change. Remember that weight loss is generally considered to be 78% diet and 22% exercise (also from posts #1). Sure, you can go nuts on the exercise and get some large results. But that relies on you keeping up the exercise and sometimes the body adapts and one can add weight again over the next 5 years. It has happened to me in the past.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 am

Brendo09 wrote:What I have noticed is that eating is something that I have to be be on the ball with every day. The relaxed and comfortable way of eating just doesn't do me any favours. It's annoying, but that's how it has to be. Watch EVERYTHING I eat.
True. But once you make eating healthy a habit over a number of weeks, it gets a lot easier. Also cleaning up your environment, as in removing poor food choices from you home can be helpful. There's a saying from ChefAJ which says "if it's in your house, it's in your mouth".

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Nobody wrote:
tcdev wrote:Sorry if the above reads like an attack on you. It's not meant to be. I'm just using you as an example to try to encourage everyone to set some bigger (lower weight) goals and chase them. Even if you don't achieve them fully, you are very likely to feel better, be healthier and in better shape in 6 months than otherwise.
No worries, I've not taken it that way.

I've just gone back and re-read post #1, thanks! I totally understand where you're coming from and have little doubt there's a lot of merit in what you have posted.

I, however, need to ask myself whether or not I'm ready/willing/able to make such drastic changes in my lifestyle - diet-wise. And to be brutally honest, I'd have to say not so much at this point. That's not to say I'm not taking small steps in that direction now, but it's going to be more gradual changes for me. In the past it would be unheard of for me to have a lunch/dinner without some type of meat, for example. That started to change in recent years with my wife insisting that we have 1 vegetarian meal a week. I'd have no qualms now with that increasing and every so often it does. Vegan is another thing though...

As for setting loftier goals, I'd say that's a double-edged sword. For those committed to long-term changes and goals it may work well, but I fear that for some failure, or even sub-par results along the way, could result in frustration and ultimately giving up. I don't think that's part of my make-up - after all I've failed to meet some of my goals in the past - but for some it certainly is a challenge.

All that aside, much appreciate the advice and the encouragement from yourself and others on this forum. The way I'm tackling this is that whilst I'm making progress towards my goals I'll continue with incremental changes. When it gets to the point where I'm tearing out my hair not knowing why I've stalled, it'll be time to re-examine my strategy and start to make more wholesale changes.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Brendo09 wrote:What I have noticed is that eating is something that I have to be be on the ball with every day. The relaxed and comfortable way of eating just doesn't do me any favours. It's annoying, but that's how it has to be. Watch EVERYTHING I eat. And drink heaps of coffee :)
I have this lesson re-iterated to me on a weekly basis! :shock:

IMHO it's a fine line between taking steps towards being more healthy, and making life just plain miserable (from the point of view of a "relaxed and comfortable eater"). Hence my not-so-good-food "budget" until I'm ready to take the next step.

As a family treat we eat take-out on Friday nights and have dessert. I also partake in alcohol that night and historically, whilst reverting to more healthy eating over the weekend, still indulge in alcohol and dessert on Sat/Sun nights. The rest of the week I'm quite careful with my diet. Weighing myself every day, the spike in weight after the weekend is immediate and quite alarming - up to 2kg - and usually takes until Thu/Fri morning to negate again. It's an awful lot of wasted effort and obviously a serious impediment to my continued weight loss.

Despite making some overall progress this year (~5kg) I've decided that it's time to re-examine my weekend behaviour and make some positive changes. I'm not going to cut anything out entirely (yet) but will look at restricting the alcohol and dessert frequency. At the same time I'm also looking at healthier choices of take-out on Fridays.

At this stage I'd be happier if my weight didn't spike more than 1kg each weekend so that I'd be losing weight a little earlier each week and hence a little faster each month. When I get down to my goal at year end I suspect it'll be time to make even more dietary changes. I also suspect it'll be easier by then too.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 am

tcdev wrote:No worries, I've not taken it that way.

I've just gone back and re-read post #1, thanks! I totally understand where you're coming from and have little doubt there's a lot of merit in what you have posted.
Thanks for your understanding and you're welcome. Glad to help. :)
_________________________________________________________________________________

11 days since last measurement.

Waist 74.5 cm - up 0.5
WHtR 0.433

61.8 kg - up 0.8
BMI 20.9

Goal range:
WHtR 0.428 - 0.442
BMI 20.6 - 21.6

Goals are important. So mine is now to keep within the range above, since I find I overshoot particular numbers. All I know for sure from looking in the mirror is that 61 kg is getting too thin (unless I want the pro cyclist look) and 65 kg is getting too fat.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Hey All

Jumping in on this thread at a fairly late stage, but still looking to make some progress this year.
I just hit 34, and weigh 100kg (or as near as makes a difference). With a height of 178cm, this gives me a BMI of 31.6 and puts me just into the 'obese' category.
~5 years ago I was around 110kg, and through hitting the gym I managed to get down to 90kg where I was still overweight but feeling a lot better. I bought a bike a few years ago, and have started to get into it more seriously to the point I am doing 50km fairly comfortably, and am aiming to do a metric before the end of the year, and the local killer ride (3 dams) next March.
I also have my first little one on the way and would like to at least start the positive habit-forming changes before they come along at the end of the year.
I eat too much generally, too much crap, enjoy my beer, coffee and sugary treats and spend too much time on my arse between work and postgrad uni studies. I would love to commute to work, but the way to to work is littered with shocking narrow roads and rather large trucks. There is a more circuitous route I'm interested in, but it adds too much distance to be practical at this stage.

I know I can't out-train a bad diet, but I would ideally like to have the 'compromise plan' of cutting back on enough things to allow me to still indulge while dropping a few kgs. My experience is that first step is hardest to get into.

Anyway, see you on the journey!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Good on you for at least facing the issue Rorschach.
Some options others have tried:

- if you know bugger all about nutrition or portions, many just order in Lite n Easy. problem solved, as long as you don't continue to snack. Even if you do it for 2 months, you should have a good idea of what and how much is required.

- then if you are a little more committed, a couple of consults with a dietitian can get you informed and preparing your own Calorie and nutrition appropriate meal plan.

- or, you could just start setting real goals like, no alcohol or junk in the house, go to bed before 10p wake before 6am.

As for commuting, a few guys I know who live >25km from work just do the ride 1-2x most weeks.
If the weather turns bad or they have to work back late, they have a Plan B to catch a train most of the way home.

Where there's a will there's many ways.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm

CKinnard wrote:Good on you for at least facing the issue Rorschach.
Thanks mate. Done it before, just needs to be more sustainable now!
CKinnard wrote:Some options others have tried:

- if you know bugger all about nutrition or portions, many just order in Lite n Easy. problem solved, as long as you don't continue to snack. Even if you do it for 2 months, you should have a good idea of what and how much is required.
Tried that before, got really bored really quickly! The Mrs intermittently signs up for Sam Wood, he's got some really good meals in there.
CKinnard wrote:- then if you are a little more committed, a couple of consults with a dietitian can get you informed and preparing your own Calorie and nutrition appropriate meal plan.
Toying with this, getting closer to booking something!
CKinnard wrote:- or, you could just start setting real goals like, no alcohol or junk in the house, go to bed before 10p wake before 6am.
We're going through that phase now. I was drinking every night a few months ago (couple of beers while watching uni lectures) and that really didn't help!
The sleep thing is harder, I'm actually seeing a Dr about my ongoing sleeping issues. I really struggle to get up in the morning and the day wipes me out. Ruled a few things out, but looking at some other stuff now.
CKinnard wrote:As for commuting, a few guys I know who live >25km from work just do the ride 1-2x most weeks.
If the weather turns bad or they have to work back late, they have a Plan B to catch a train most of the way home.
I'm trying to psyche myself up for it. Unfortunately there is no plan B to get home other than the very intermittent bus, so need to rely on the weather!
CKinnard wrote:Where there's a will there's many ways.
And taking the first step is always the hardest!
Still, know what I need to do, just need to make it work now.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Rorschach wrote: The sleep thing is harder, I'm actually seeing a Dr about my ongoing sleeping issues. I really struggle to get up in the morning and the day wipes me out. Ruled a few things out, but looking at some other stuff now.
the sleep thing is strongly associated with excessive appetite and insulin resistance. I went through a lot of testing years ago - mild sleep apnoea. But it all came back to modifying lifestyle choices (sleep time, diet, alcohol, exercise, stress mgt, life goals). Once you start eating healthier and force yourself to get up early (and exercise), within a week you'll be falling asleep earlier, as long as you don't stay up past your cyclic arousal cycles which ebb around 9-930pm. If you push past that it can take another 2-3 hours to fall asleep.

I've been a moderate nightly drinker of wine in the past, and the appetite ends up out of my control.
This year, I determined to not touch alcohol. Started the year with a 1 week water fast, and the craving was pretty much extinguished.
A couple of times after stressful days, I've felt like it mildly, but it was easy to wait out until dinner when it went away.
If I know what's good for me, I'll never have another drink. It's just one less unhealthy habit you don't need to deal with.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Rorschach wrote: The sleep thing is harder, I'm actually seeing a Dr about my ongoing sleeping issues. I really struggle to get up in the morning and the day wipes me out. Ruled a few things out, but looking at some other stuff now.
the sleep thing is strongly associated with excessive appetite and insulin resistance. I went through a lot of testing years ago - mild sleep apnoea. But it all came back to modifying lifestyle choices (sleep time, diet, alcohol, exercise, stress mgt, life goals). Once you start eating healthier and force yourself to get up early (and exercise), within a week you'll be falling asleep earlier, as long as you don't stay up past your cyclic arousal cycles which ebb around 9-930pm. If you push past that it can take another 2-3 hours to fall asleep.
I tried the exercise late thing (generally 7pmish after dinner) and that worked for a while. I think it's been something I've been dealing with for quite a while, but in the last 2 years it's gotten a lot worse, especially with work stress, uni stress and everything else! Been diagnosed with mild occlusal sleep apnoea, dentist is sorting me a splint for that that I pick up next week. Interested to see how that goes.
The healthier eating thing though, definitely. Wife and I have basically made a pact that we are going to cook 6 nights a week, more if possible. We also go out for dinner at least once a week, have cut that down in the last few weeks substantially.
CKinnard wrote:I've been a moderate nightly drinker of wine in the past, and the appetite ends up out of my control.
This year, I determined to not touch alcohol. Started the year with a 1 week water fast, and the craving was pretty much extinguished.
A couple of times after stressful days, I've felt like it mildly, but it was easy to wait out until dinner when it went away.
If I know what's good for me, I'll never have another drink. It's just one less unhealthy habit you don't need to deal with.
I would do that, but I'm a pretty keen homebrewer as well, and while the two aren't inimical, I need to manage them which has gotten better over the last few months, but I've replaced that with other stuff!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 am

Rorschach wrote:Hey All

Jumping in on this thread at a fairly late stage, but still looking to make some progress this year.
I just hit 34, and weigh 100kg (or as near as makes a difference). With a height of 178cm, this gives me a BMI of 31.6 and puts me just into the 'obese' category.
~5 years ago I was around 110kg, and through hitting the gym I managed to get down to 90kg where I was still overweight but feeling a lot better. I bought a bike a few years ago, and have started to get into it more seriously to the point I am doing 50km fairly comfortably, and am aiming to do a metric before the end of the year, and the local killer ride (3 dams) next March.
I also have my first little one on the way and would like to at least start the positive habit-forming changes before they come along at the end of the year.
I eat too much generally, too much crap, enjoy my beer, coffee and sugary treats and spend too much time on my arse between work and postgrad uni studies. I would love to commute to work, but the way to to work is littered with shocking narrow roads and rather large trucks. There is a more circuitous route I'm interested in, but it adds too much distance to be practical at this stage.

I know I can't out-train a bad diet, but I would ideally like to have the 'compromise plan' of cutting back on enough things to allow me to still indulge while dropping a few kgs. My experience is that first step is hardest to get into.

One of the things that I did was cut down on sugar in my tea and coffee. On a typical day, I will drink 2 cups of tea and 2 coffee. I used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar in each. I cut back to 1 teaspoon and then, after a few months, to none at all.

I don't think that those few teaspoons of sugar made much difference on their own, but what it did was "re-train" my tastebuds away from liking the other sugary rubbish that I would eat. So now, I don't eat as much of that processed, sugary food, and I can't remember the last time I bought and drank a soft drink.

The other thing that helps me is to take my lunch to work. That way I avoid buying something unhealthy and eating too many kilojoules.

I have really only made a few, small changes to my diet, and they have made a huge difference.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am

RobertL wrote:One of the things that I did was cut down on sugar in my tea and coffee. On a typical day, I will drink 2 cups of tea and 2 coffee. I used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar in each. I cut back to 1 teaspoon and then, after a few months, to none at all.

I don't think that those few teaspoons of sugar made much difference on their own, but what it did was "re-train" my tastebuds away from liking the other sugary rubbish that I would eat. So now, I don't eat as much of that processed, sugary food, and I can't remember the last time I bought and drank a soft drink.

The other thing that helps me is to take my lunch to work. That way I avoid buying something unhealthy and eating too many kilojoules.

I have really only made a few, small changes to my diet, and they have made a huge difference.
Unfortunately, I don't have sugar in my coffee, and (being English) think that anyone who has sugar in tea needs shooting, I can't go down that alley. I did swap drinking coffee with milk to long blacks at work a few years ago, that made a difference at the time. I don't have that much coffee with milk any more.
I also take my lunch to work, which is mainly leftovers and a couple of pieces of fruit, and a carrot for morning tea to keep me going
Main issues for me is that we have crap at work (someone's always bringing in cake) and crap at home as the wife and I both have a sweet tooth and like the carbs too much!
Portion control is another big one for me. I've always eaten quickly, so my body doesn't register that I've overeaten until it's too late. Anyone got any tips for that?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Rorschach wrote: Portion control is another big one for me. I've always eaten quickly, so my body doesn't register that I've overeaten until it's too late. Anyone got any tips for that?
Smaller plates. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people serving dinner etc off smaller plates to trick yourself into thinking that you've eaten as much.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm

RobertL wrote:
Rorschach wrote: Portion control is another big one for me. I've always eaten quickly, so my body doesn't register that I've overeaten until it's too late. Anyone got any tips for that?
Smaller plates. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people serving dinner etc off smaller plates to trick yourself into thinking that you've eaten as much.
My folks do that. Might give it a whirl.

Also, reminds me of this if anyone is familiar with the works of Alan Partridge

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Rorschach wrote:Hey All

Just do the commute a few days a week instead. In my experience, commute rides aren't always the easiest - on road they turn into a series of mini-sprints away from traffic lights.

When I was a few years younger than you, I was just slightly over 90kg and being a few cm shorter than you - not good. The way I did it was eating a bit less junk food and putting in some walking from my work to a station a few kms away, morning and afternoon. Then I started riding - but not for commuting. Eventually I dropped those kilos off. I'm now 59kg. As you get more hooked on riding bicycles, it gets easier, both to do the commutes, longer rides and along with that, dropping the kilos.

I can't avoid eating bad things occasionally, but I work on the principle of doing enough riding that I work off what I eat. I know if I were to really eat properly (and I'm trying to do that now) that I'd drop another few kilos.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just do the commute a few days a week instead. In my experience, commute rides aren't always the easiest - on road they turn into a series of mini-sprints away from traffic lights.

When I was a few years younger than you, I was just slightly over 90kg and being a few cm shorter than you - not good. The way I did it was eating a bit less junk food and putting in some walking from my work to a station a few kms away, morning and afternoon. Then I started riding - but not for commuting. Eventually I dropped those kilos off. I'm now 59kg. As you get more hooked on riding bicycles, it gets easier, both to do the commutes, longer rides and along with that, dropping the kilos.
Unfortunately don't have the option of walking anywhere, but I see your point. I used to get up and go for a walk around the chemical plant I work at, but as my role has changed so has my ability to do that. The idea of commuting is to try and get that in, and I can always cycle to the train station if I don't feel up to the whole thing!
g-boaf wrote:I can't avoid eating bad things occasionally, but I work on the principle of doing enough riding that I work off what I eat. I know if I were to really eat properly (and I'm trying to do that now) that I'd drop another few kilos.
Honestly, thats the way I want to go. If I start restricting everything and not being able to do some of the things I want, I won't do it. It's happened before and I binned the whole thing pretty quickly.