Baker's cysit both leg's

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ajohnson

Baker's cysit both leg's

Postby ajohnson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Baker's cysit in both leg's. has any one had this problem
and if so how long before you can ride again. I have not ridden now for the last two weeks and
I'm starting to climb the walls.
Alan

ValleyForge

Re: Baker's cysit both leg's

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Why are you not riding?
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm

It doesn't stop you from riding! I have a 3cm at last measurement and take a Voltaren 25mg before a ride. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ValleyForge

Re: Baker's cyst both leg's

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm

There is actually a reasonable spike in the diagnosis due to middle-aged cyclists and the availability of good quality soft tissue diagnostic ultrasound.
3cm is tiny BTW. Fascinating anatomically where they go.

ajohnson

Postby ajohnson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 pm

The reason that I'm not riding is the large amount of pain around my knees.
One has ruptured and the other is leaking so just wondering if this has happened to others.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 pm

ajohnson wrote:The reason that I'm not riding is the large amount of pain around my knees.
One has ruptured and the other is leaking so just wondering if this has happened to others.
Ahh - that's different. The cysts contain joint fluid (it's like a mucus) and when they rupture, it leaks into the tissue behind the knee. It usually causes a lot of calf swelling as it extends to the top of the calf; also restriction of knee flexion is usual due to pain and tightness.

Overall the cysts are common and usually don't produce any symptoms. The larger they are, the more likely they are to rupture.

I had them in both knees (12 months apart) and they both haemorrhaged first and then ruptured. It took me 12 months to regain my knee flexion. The sonographer and the radiologist had never seen them so big (11cm diameter). Just don't let anyone operate or stick a needle in them.

ajohnson

Postby ajohnson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for the advice it helps a lot.