cycling does not damage male sexual prowess

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
outnabike

cycling does not damage male sexual prowess

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Of course Specialized’s stuff is featured in the article..... :)

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/cycling-ma ... f-says-doc
Willy doc concludes that cycling does not damage male sexual prowess or fertility
Large new study debunks 1997 claims that "cycling causes impotence". However, those claims did help create the "comfort" sector, and kick-started "bike fitting", too.
Carlton Reid
Jan 14, 2018
A new study has found that contrary to some previous ones, neither recreational nor hardcore cycling appear to have a negative impact on male sexual and urinary functionality.
These studies include the grand-daddy of them all, an infamous 1997 article in Bicycling magazine in which Boston University urologist Dr Irwin Goldstein said:
“Men should never ride bicycles... Riding should be banned and outlawed. It’s the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.”
This led to “cycling causes impotence” health scares all over the world, and also led, the following year, to the creation of the Specialized Body Geometry range of cut-out saddles featuring the so-called “Minkow wedge”. Many other companies soon followed Specialized’s lead, creating one of the industry's most profitable categories.
“Men should never ride bicycles... Riding should be banned and outlawed. It’s the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.”
This led to “cycling causes impotence” health scares all over the world, and also led, the following year, to the creation of the Specialized Body Geometry range of cut-out saddles featuring the so-called “Minkow wedge”. Many other companies soon followed Specialized’s lead, creating one of the industry's most profitable categories.
Medical attacks on cycling are as old as cycling. Pressure on the genitalia – especially the female genitalia – was seen as suspect in the late 19th century. Leading doctors called for bans on women cycling. Such calls went unheeded and the bicycle was a key tool of womens’ emancipation giving them new freedom and mobility.
Despite the claims that riding on bicycle saddles would lead to impotence, the world population did not suffer.
And today, there are few complaints that China, still with more cyclists than anywhere else despite the meteoric growth in car ownership, suffers from a lack of babies due to urological problems brought on by bicycling.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Mububban

Re: cycling does not damage male sexual prowess

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:45 pm

I was going to start a new thread but I’ll tag on to this one :)

Conclusion according to this UK urologist - cycling does not cause erectile dysfunction or prostate problems.

We men are often rubbish at looking after our own health so it’s good to see the topic raised, and covered with maturity.

According to meta studies,
Conclusions
Although a number of studies have described mechanisms for cycling‐related sexual dysfunction, further validated studies are needed to both better describe the dysfunction, as well as to develop strategies for prevention and treatment.
Our best evidence indicates that the type of saddle used, as well as the position of the rider, has more effect on resultant sexual dysfunction than simply participation in cycling. 
Baran C, Mitchell GC, and Hellstrom WJG. Cycling‐related sexual dysfunction in men and women: A review. Sex Med Rev 2014;2:93–101.
I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve had some E.D. problems in the last year or so, but being honest, it’s something I’ve had intermittently all my adult life, I’ve always cycled casually but I’d say I’ve only been “serious” about cycling in the last 2 years.

TMI warning but in the interests of open honest discussion - I got some blue pills which help when required, but largely, my bedroom issues were caused more by the unhappy state of my relationship at the time. The juggling act of trying to remain a couple whilst also being parents, financial concerns, my wife's mental health issues etc etc. Everybody's dealing with something and we didn't face it for a long time, we just got through each day like Groundhog Day.
Things have significantly improved emotionally, which have definitely improved things in the bedroom. Trust me, if your heart and head aren’t right, the blue pills do nothing.

Now what I combat is the devil on the shoulder saying “don’t get distracted, don’t disappoint her, she’ll be upset again, you’ll feel like dirt too, don’t lose focus” etc etc, and if those mental whispers are allowed to gather too much momentum it’s game over.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:32 am

This is often overlooked, but ED can be an early clinical presentation of cardiovascular disease. Accumulation of cholesterol and plaque in the large vessels around your heart may lead to heart attack or stroke, but 10-15 years before that happens the accumulation of plaque in your !!! spammer !!! may lead to reduced blood flow leaving the blue-steel diamond cutting erections of your teens and 20s to just not have the same degree of hardness, or to not happen at all. Something to keep in mind...

Fwiw I knock out 15hrs a week on Selle SMP saddles, I'm mid 30s, I'm vegan, my BMI is about 24 and everything typically works fine. On the rare occasions that I've had problems it's been easy to trace back to being either extremely fatigued, dehydrated, extremely stressed or in significant calorie deficit (dieting). So long as I recover from my rides properly, manage stress and eat right everything works fine

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 am

I will also add that if you are having ED problems, then it's a good idea to get a blood test for "iron studies" as this might show a genetic excess iron accumulation condition called haemochromatosis, of which ED is one of many symptoms. As the poisoning of excess iron is accumulative and preventable, best to get checked for this as early as possible. I believe everyone should be screened for it.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

Good advice thanks guys, I'll get those checked at my next GP visit. Every time I've had blood tests recently they've come back all clean for cholesterol etc, I tend to eat fairly healthy, stay active, I'm naturally slim and don't drink, smoke, do drugs etc. But I'm still conscious that a skinny guy can still drop dead from a heart attack. And my dad did have a heart bypass ~10 years ago, but he had a spare tyre and does not eat well or stay active despite being very fit and healthy in his youth. Watching him decline into portliness as I grew up has motivated me to stay active.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm

and, if you haven't already, get your PSA checked

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Nobody wrote:As the poisoning of excess iron is accumulative and preventable, best to get checked for this as early as possible. I believe everyone should be screened for it.
Haemochromatosis isn't really an issue for half the population.

All donations to the Transfusion service are screened automatically - Blood Banks LOVE donors with Haemochromatosis.

And ED - as it presents in general practice - is overwhelmingly NOT from organic disease.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

tallywhacker wrote:and, if you haven't already, get your PSA checked
Let's not open this "Pandora's Box Of Worms" as HG Nelson would say.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:47 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Haemochromatosis isn't really an issue for half the population.
If you're talking about females, I've read that women can still have problems after their reproductive years have finished.
Genetically, it shouldn't be an issue for 99.5% of the population according to the link below.
https://haemochromatosis.org.au/explanation/

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 am

ValleyForge wrote:
tallywhacker wrote:and, if you haven't already, get your PSA checked
Let's not open this "Pandora's Box Of Worms" as HG Nelson would say.
huh ?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Sorry ....my fault....I thought that the Prowess part was just getting the good lady into bed. :P
Every thing else is peripheral to the issue. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 pm

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/erecti ... rts-h0xevw

"In general, when compared to swimmers and runners, cyclists' sexual and urinary health was comparable, although some cyclists were more prone to urethral strictures," the study found.

High-intensity cyclists also recorded slightly better erectile function scores than low-intensity cyclists.

"The difference wasn't huge at all," Breyer said by email. "I think a possible theory is that high-intensity cyclists have a bike that is professionally fit (important to limiting perineal trauma), they are in better shape and more careful to avoid trauma."

"If anyone has any discomfort in the perineal area – both males and females – we'd recommend a saddle with a cut-out, which essentially takes the pressure off that area," says Denver.