Cramps?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
uart

Cramps?

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Like most people, I occasionally get a cramp in the calf muscle. Annoying but not too terrible.

Recently however I've started to get some extremely painful cramps in the upper leg muscles (inside thigh) after long rides. It usually happens after the ride, I get home and rest for a while, and then it hits when I move and try to get up.

Any suggestions for prevention. These things are literally about 10 times more painful than the more common calf cramps that I am more familiar with.

ValleyForge

Re: Cramps?

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Sartorious cramps. My riding partner would get them occasionally and say they were as bad as his kidney stone. I didn't believe him a bit.

'Til I had one.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Sartorious cramps. My riding partner would get them occasionally and say they were as bad as his kidney stone. I didn't believe him a bit.

'Til I had one.

Ok, thanks for putting a name to that. :)

I was looking at a diagram of the leg muscles and thought it was probably either the Sartorious or the Gracilis or the Vastus medialis - but those were only guesses.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

BTW. As to the location of the pain. It is on the inside of the leg, just above the knee, and with the most pain about 10 cm above the middle of the knee.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

uart wrote:BTW. As to the location of the pain. It is on the inside of the leg, just above the knee, and with the most pain about 10 cm above the middle of the knee.

Every voluntary muscle does its job by contracting, i.e. becoming shorter and fatter. If you can stretch the offending muscle (temporarily make it longer and thinner) you should get instant relief. Also, try a magnesium supplement, but make sure it is organo-magnesium (magnesium chelate or similar. Magnesium oxide is commonly offered but it is next to useless because the body can't properly absorb it.