Cramps?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
uart

Cramps?

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Like most people, I occasionally get a cramp in the calf muscle. Annoying but not too terrible.

Recently however I've started to get some extremely painful cramps in the upper leg muscles (inside thigh) after long rides. It usually happens after the ride, I get home and rest for a while, and then it hits when I move and try to get up.

Any suggestions for prevention. These things are literally about 10 times more painful than the more common calf cramps that I am more familiar with.

ValleyForge

Re: Cramps?

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Sartorious cramps. My riding partner would get them occasionally and say they were as bad as his kidney stone. I didn't believe him a bit.

'Til I had one.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Sartorious cramps. My riding partner would get them occasionally and say they were as bad as his kidney stone. I didn't believe him a bit.

'Til I had one.
Ok, thanks for putting a name to that. :)

I was looking at a diagram of the leg muscles and thought it was probably either the Sartorious or the Gracilis or the Vastus medialis - but those were only guesses.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

BTW. As to the location of the pain. It is on the inside of the leg, just above the knee, and with the most pain about 10 cm above the middle of the knee.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

uart wrote:BTW. As to the location of the pain. It is on the inside of the leg, just above the knee, and with the most pain about 10 cm above the middle of the knee.
Every voluntary muscle does its job by contracting, i.e. becoming shorter and fatter. If you can stretch the offending muscle (temporarily make it longer and thinner) you should get instant relief. Also, try a magnesium supplement, but make sure it is organo-magnesium (magnesium chelate or similar. Magnesium oxide is commonly offered but it is next to useless because the body can't properly absorb it.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Magnesium is what has helped me. The Dr. said to try Tonic Water but did nothing for me.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm

OnTrackZeD wrote:Magnesium is what has helped me. The Dr. said to try Tonic Water but did nothing for me.
Did you forget to add the appropriate amount of gin?

I've suffered some cramps recently on the inside of my thigh. When I've had them previously I was in agony. Since then I broke my leg/hip and I'm still on crutches, now my muscles are so weak it is only annoying.

Cheers,

Cameron

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
OnTrackZeD wrote:Magnesium is what has helped me. The Dr. said to try Tonic Water but did nothing for me.
Did you forget to add the appropriate amount of gin?

I've suffered some cramps recently on the inside of my thigh. When I've had them previously I was in agony. Since then I broke my leg/hip and I'm still on crutches, now my muscles are so weak it is only annoying.

Cheers,

Cameron
I did ask twice and he then said without gin, lol.

Get better soon, injuries are always trying times.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:19 pm

I've tried taking magnesium supplements (tablets or powder of one brand or another).
I'm not 100% sure it works - I've had cramps when taking them (but I can't know if it prevented cramps)

Strange as it seems, but I think I am much less likely to get a cramp post ride when I am eating bananas in the days prior and/or on the day of the ride.

I was riding for 2 weeks (rode 11days out of 13), no cramps whatsoever, but I was eating at least one banana every day or every second day. Rest of the diet was pretty ordinary (nothing particularly special).

I got a cramp about 1-2 weeks after returning home (my wife hates bananas and doesn't buy them).

Of course, thats just my 2 cents worth. YMMV...
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Had a similar problem when swimming a lot many years ago (calves or thighs locking up during a tumble turn :oops: :oops: ) and magnesium was the issue. At the time I found one "energy drink" with magnesium (Lucozade I think) and that was the easiest solution: at the time I was doing enough exercise that the sugar/salt in it was welcome rather than a problem.

[edit class="ironic"]
Of course, one should be drinking Gerolsteiner to get one's magnesium
[/edit]
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ