The vego and vegan athlete

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
headasunder

Re: The vego and vegan athlete

Postby headasunder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:39 pm

CKinnard wrote:
headasunder wrote:I switched to a vege diet when on OE sometime in the 80s
What's OE?
I presume you mean the human resources definition - Operational Effectiveness, a program to improve health and thereby work performance.
OE the antipodean rite of passage, in other words off shore wanderings in my feckless youth.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 pm

headasunder wrote: Warthog1 forget about dieting and try out a time restricted eating plan, after an adjustment period it is not difficult to stick at it an I havent noticed any energy drops.
Not energy drop performance drop at maximal effort.
I went up that same 20ish minute climb about 1.5 minutes quicker this week on an omni diet.
Pipped the bloke I used to comfortably beat when fit. He was up the road and out of sight last week. The bloke I rode up with last week was out of view behind this week.
There is one week of fitness and about the same weight.
The diet change accounts for most of it afaic. Felt better too.
Vego doesn't work for me.
I'll just have to drop dead earlier unless I get the cycling bug out of my system.

Anyway it is what it is. I'm happy to bow out, I cbfed debating it.
It didn't work and I can't be fagged micromanaging what I shove in my gob.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:...
Not energy drop performance drop at maximal effort.
I went up that same 20ish minute climb about 1.5 minutes quicker this week on an omni diet.
A high carb diet, without letting BG & insulin stabilise for a few hours before exercise, results in a block to the FFA metabolism... which can knock quite a chunk off your > 2 minute power numbers. That's why gels sometimes make riders go slower, not faster.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

headasunder wrote: OE the antipodean rite of passage, in other words off shore wanderings in my feckless youth.
haha....just got it.... had to google.. "overseas experience"
I've honestly never heard OE before. It was always just OS.