entry level MTB recommendations?

poohbear
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 pm

entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby poohbear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 am

Hey guys,

i'm looking for an entry level hard tail MTB 700-1000 mark. Will be doing some casual single trails.
Was gonna go for a 29er but seems like its probably not within budget.
Saw a few speicals in 99bikes... but not sure which is more value for money.

Merida Matts 20 MD $483
Fork: RST GILA 100 ML
http://99bikes.com.au/bike/merida-matts-20-md/15/6585

Merida Matts Trail 300-D (2012) $799
Fork: SR XCM-HLO 120
99bikes.com.au/bike/merida-matts-trail-300-d/15/6594

Nobody
Posts: 7597
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby Nobody » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 am

It goes something like this:

Technically the cheapest is often going to be the best value just because of diminishing returns. This usually only works for people who don't care what they ride. For regular riders, the mid range priced bikes are where the value is because they are usually nicer bikes to ride and maintain.

In other words... buy cheap, buy twice. I'd be getting the more expensive of the two you listed.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28147
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Have a look at the Giant Talon too...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

antipodean
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby antipodean » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Check you local Gumtree bicycle listings there can be some real bargains there.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er

User avatar
christophers94
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Lakes Entrance Victoria

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby christophers94 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Have a look at the Giant Talon too...


+1 at looking into the Talons great value for money, and if you can stretch to the talon 0 you would not be disapointed awesome features for the price.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications

Also have a squiz at the new boulder 29er0 with mostly sram x5 groupset and lockout on the forks great value for money and only $650
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications

poohbear
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby poohbear » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm

christophers94 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Have a look at the Giant Talon too...


+1 at looking into the Talons great value for money, and if you can stretch to the talon 0 you would not be disapointed awesome features for the price.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications

Also have a squiz at the new boulder 29er0 with mostly sram x5 groupset and lockout on the forks great value for money and only $650
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications


I like the Talon, looks quite good at a good price too!

Should i care if its mech or hydraulic brakes?

and what about coil vs hydraulic fork? i think all these entry ones are coil ?

cru
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby cru » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 pm

mate just bought the new Talon 29er.
He is rapt in it (as a first timer)

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28147
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 am

poohbear wrote:I like the Talon, looks quite good at a good price too!

Should i care if its mech or hydraulic brakes?

and what about coil vs hydraulic fork? i think all these entry ones are coil ?


Cable discs need periodic adjustment to compensate for pad wear and cable stretch, hydros are pretty much set and forget until the pads need replacing. Either one will stop you well enough.

Coil forks are heavier than airspring. Buy, ride until they wear out or break then swap in the new unit of your choice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

poohbear
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: entry level MTB recommendations?

Postby poohbear » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 am

cru wrote:mate just bought the new Talon 29er.
He is rapt in it (as a first timer)

cool. he got the 2013 ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users