How much does mountain biking cost per kilometre?

Mountainbiking central

How much does mountain biking cost per kilometre?

Postby jimbob » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:40 am

When I started out mountain biking I had the naive view that anything to do with bikes must be cheap. A couple of years on and I cringe at how much stuff I've got and how much I've spent. And then I started thinking about how much it is actually costing me to ride each kilometre and the figures get quite scary. At the moment I reckon it's about $1.50 per kilometre or more. Okay, so I'm still finding excuses to spend money on yet more stuff (all absolutely necessary of course) but I think this should tail off considerably in the next month or two. But I thought this about 8 months ago and my spending history since then is most probably the wost its ever been. Is this a common problem? Does it ever end? Do you know of a good counsellor?
jimbob

by BNA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am

What do you want a counsellor for? Only whackos need them, and there are no whackos riding MTBs. :D

With MTBs, you really need to figure your costs on a "per hour" basis. It's hard to do a lot of kilometres on dirt, but that doesn't matter - it's the fun you get out of it that really matters.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby glawrence2000 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 am

When my wife fell pregnant with our daughter; she would ned to hand back her company car for maternity leave.

No problem live close to town, work in town; I'll buy me a bike. Best Idea I;ve ever had - love it.

Got a Shogun Metro SE Hybrid from Wooleys Wheels and slowly added bits to the orignal 700$ ish ride (with locks and lights etc) slowly crept up in price. My car gets around 600 K to the tank in town at (then $50 a tank) had to do a lot of riding to make it worthwhile (not counting rego wear and tear etc.

Outgrew the Metro and built myself a 29er. Best of everything has gone into her and yet I still find more accutments. $4k and counting on that puppy (all good).

Recently won a BMC fourstroke which another $4K ride; yet not quite perfect so have been putting money into her too (new front shocks are next on the agenda $1000 + department alone).

Not to mention making my wife's ride better (whether she wants it or not) I'd say it's costing me about $1.20 a K presently.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.
glawrence2000

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Kalgrm wrote:What do you want a counsellor for? Only whackos need them, and there are no whackos riding MTBs. :D

With MTBs, you really need to figure your costs on a "per hour" basis. It's hard to do a lot of kilometres on dirt, but that doesn't matter - it's the fun you get out of it that really matters.

Cheers,
Graeme

Says it all really...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Deanj » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:35 pm

The fact that I haven't taken part in the money pits thread for a good few moths yet I'm still near the top speaks volumes, mtb is bloody expensive :cry:

Racing road and mtb is killing me financially but mtb is the bigger cost. Things wear out/break a lot quicker and all those new bits that you "need" :wink: don't help.
Deanj

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Epsecially if it rains! = $$$$
toolonglegs

Postby 318ute » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:18 am

Jimbob,
Mate look at it this way?
"How much would you pay to keep your sanity"?

Riding to and from work each day just seems to keep the mind clear, the body tired and the worries seem like nothing compared to the next hill!

Spend to your budget and enjoy! :twisted:

Steve.
318ute

Postby jimbob » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 am

Do I really care about how much I spend? No I guess not. And you're right about it keeping you sane although everyone else thinks you're a bit of a nut.

Even the wife seems to overlook all the purchases that I make. I'm happier and fitter and that seems to make it all worthwhile. Also, I am now much more understanding of her own little spending sprees.

And here I sit 48 hours away from the Highland Fling with a real sense of excitement. It's almost like being a kid again before Christmas. And it's at times like these that the whole expense of the sport seems very irrelevant.

Hmm... did I buy enough Gu? May need to pop down the bike shop at lunchtime.
jimbob

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:31 am

The only way to make cycling economically worthwhile is to follow Mikesbytes' example. Otherwise, consider it's recreation money. :oops:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to MTB