First MTB - Giant Yukon $499 - Thoughts

Mountainbiking central

First MTB - Giant Yukon $499 - Thoughts

Postby h3ndry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Now that I have some serious holiday time over the summer, I'm aiming to diversify my riding and physical activity. Always liked dirt trails and stuff, so an MTB is the way to go for me. Was initially going to go with a Kmart or Target brand $100 POS, but with a little more knowledge of bikes now than 3 months ago, I will probably never go near one of those deathtraps ever again.

So, a cheap, reliable, novice level, bulletproof, no frills, solid MTB looks to be the plan. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget looks to be about $500, unless there is something exceptional for a little more, but the MTB is going to be used a lot less than the roadie, so don't really want to splurge.

The only one I know about (by which I mean, spied in the LBS) was a Giant Yukon at $499. 8 Speed Shimano (Tiagra, 2200?), nothing fancy.

Cheers
Do or do not. There is no try
h3ndry

by BNA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 am

BNA

Postby Robski » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 am

Try GT as well i know that they equip there cheaper bikes ok. my brother picked one up for $600 and the thing is easy to maintain and handles the trails well.
Robski

Postby Bnej » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:48 pm

The Yukon is one of the better bikes at that price point. But for off-road the lower end forks on anything sub $900 or so will let you down, as the lack of proper damping will give you a harsh top out on the suspension.

The 8 speed shimano set will be Altus or Alvio probably, which is ok. The serious MTB stuff starts with Deore, so the cheaper sets probably don't cope so well with mud/dirt.

Certainly miles ahead of Kmart/Target - quite usable off road if you're not too demanding.
Bnej

Postby stevexg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:10 pm

I've had a yukon for about 2 years, it's been great!!

It came with deore (rear) alvio (front) which have sreved me well.

I ended up changing the brakes (to BB7's) and forks from dart 2's (which were fine) to Toria 318's, also some new tyres. (But i can't help myself when it comes to modifications.)

I've given the bike hell and still going strong. Its a great first MTB.
stevexg

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm

stevexg wrote:I've had a yukon for about 2 years, it's been great!!

It came with deore (rear) alvio (front) which have sreved me well.

I ended up changing the brakes (to BB7's) and forks from dart 2's (which were fine) to Toria 318's, also some new tyres. (But i can't help myself when it comes to modifications.)

I've given the bike hell and still going strong. Its a great first MTB.

There ya go h3ndry: someone who owns one says they're okay when you spend another ~$300 on upgrading the brakes and ~$350 on upgrading the forks.

I reckon you're better off buying a ~$1100 bike from the outset though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby h3ndry » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm

I honestly would love to spend that much, but I just can't afford it on something that isn't the priority ride. General consensus on the web is that its solid. probably pull the trigger soon.
h3ndry

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 am

In that case, ride it like you stole it! :) Have fun.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Be warned - MTB riding is very addictive .... ;))
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sittingbison » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 am

and the only cure for addiction is a good dose of upgradeitis.

Graeme, do you think a poll is needed for which riding discipline :shock: leads to greater rate of upgradeitis? Road, Trac, 'bent or MTB?
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University
sittingbison

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Ohh, now that's a difficult question! ;) I don't think a poll would work though, because each rider would allow their bias to show simply by voting. I guess the best way would be to analyse the money Pits thread.

For me, the MTB easily has more money spent on it on upgrades. I now want new forks, but they are going to have to wait a long time, since I just spent $4000 on a kayak (albeit a recumbent pedal kayak! :))

(MTB = $~3000 spent "upgrading" a $1400 MTB + $600 spent making the old MTB frame into a SS goat vs ~$700 upgrading the $3000 'bent.)

BTW h3ndry, those figures I just revealed don't include the first MTB I bought to "just get into the sport" three years ago. That bike was a $400 Giant Boulder which I thought might see me through. Should I sign you up for the clinic? ;) :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby h3ndry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 pm

We'll see. At this point, with 3 months of Uni holidays at my feet, it becomes a balance between working more so I can buy bike stuff......and actually getting time to ride the buggers. On the upgrading / money pits note, I have had plans on turning the current roadie into a commutie (panniers etc) and splashing out on a bit of bling.....but I have things I want to achieve on the bike first, like cracking 3000k's total, and a 200k Mt Martha day trip. Got to say, for all the myriad arguments about the best quality versus cost, the Tiagra line isn't too bad, especially if you're interested in learning about maintenance. Makes me feel like I deserve to ride it and that it has my own personal stamp on it.

Anyway, regarding the Yukon, my question should probably have been phrased "Can I do better for the money?". In the end, too many "is this good?' type questions end in arguments about upgrades and money spent etc. when all we really want to know is "Can I do better for $x?"
The Yukon sounds pretty good, just making sure I'm not forgetting something obvious.
h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Just looking at that last post, I sound really bitchy. That wasn't my intention, was just trying to make an observation rather than a critique. I found all of your information very helpful, and apologise for any offence caused.

Anyway.....trigger pulled:

Gotta say, damn weird to have shocks, although the amount of stuff I can boot over without even thinking is making me lean toward this as the commuter bike....

And yeah....I'll probably become addicted shortly. Heading to Lysterfield on Mon/Tuesday, will post pics and a small write up.

Thanks guys.
h3ndry

Return to MTB