The Oaks in the rain....wonderful :-)

Mountainbiking central

The Oaks in the rain....wonderful :-)

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Decided to finally take the mountain bike out for a ride this weekend. Even through it was seriously blustery and intermittent rain when leaving, Ozlegacy and I met up with Dougie (Lifecycles Poobah) at the Glenbrook rangers hut at 8:00am. Not too many brave souls out today as the weather looked like it was going to close in

We rode up to the Helicopter landing spot and had a bite to eat, a few guys n gals coming the other way but a little sparse from what the guys had seen in the past...Dougie turned around (BBQ to goto) so Rainer and I pushed on. In hindsight we should have gone back...it started pissing down and the track turned to slush. The goo that's called a road stuck to the drivetrain like poo to a blanket and the sounds coming from the gears were bloody awful...Love that one climb that I think Rainer said hits 28% gradient. I had a little too much pressure in the tyres and the last 2m I could just get no traction, bah humbug so I had to stop. I had 50 PSI in the tyres and Rainer had 35 and it worked for him so a lesson learnt. We got to the end gate at Woodford and it was pelting down, it was freezing and I was wondering why the hell I was out in this weather. If I were on the road I would have pulled into a coffee shop and called the wife :-)

We started to make our way back and passed one guy who was just so excited that the poor weather was keeping the masses away... he said something about how its "excellent to suffer"..I'm kinda working out that bike riding and suffering seem to go hand in hand for some reason :-) On the way back Rainer had a few issues with the drivetrain so he could only use the middle and biggest ring on the front, no granny gear for Rainer :-) He climbed out of the Causeway to the Rangers hut in the middle ring, was a good climb for him, no girly man sissy gear :-) He had to HTFU or walk so he did most well.

Its been a long time since a shower felt so darn good :-)

Pete
sandman

by BNA » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:31 pm

BNA

Postby Bnej » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Good on you...

I was registered for the 4hr at Yarramundie today, had everything ready, looked at the weather and just couldn't face it, really strong wind, about 2 degrees outside, rain coming through, feeling just bleah.... the HTFU band wasn't enough, went back to bed.

You should book in for the next 4hr now you have your MTB, it's only a few weeks away at Yarramundie.

Tyre pressure on MTB you definitely want to have as low as you can get away with. 50 PSI is way too much for off-road.
Bnej

Postby daacha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Sandman I'm speechless. The Oaks is hard enough going the right way let alone doing it backwards. I was up the mountains today and the weather was very ordinary. You guys are flippin mad........maybe i just need a dose of HTFU.

Well done. daacha
daacha

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey Guys

Well it wasn't too bad in the end though we were freezing. Rain was coming in sideways at Woodford, put the rain jacket on but too cold. We stopped in the picnic area just before the tar road to eat, sat there for 5 mins chewing on sandwiches and then it just got colder so we bailed :-)

yes, HTFU band was a darn must today :-)

Must admit that 28%'er climb is a ripper, head down, don't look at the top and just pedal...

Pete
sandman

Postby Bnej » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 am

sandman wrote:Must admit that 28%'er climb is a ripper, head down, don't look at the top and just pedal...

Try Andersons. ;)
Bnej

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 am

I was struggling to think what climb on the Oaks was 28 degrees then I realised you were going up the Oaks instead of down... :lol: ,yeah I have done an Anderson Oaks in weather like that and it was fun ..cough cough!.
Tell your buddy to harden up :D ...who needs a granny :lol:
toolonglegs

Postby sandman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:56 am

TLL, exactly :-) :-) I must admit I'm still to find my way round the "Mountain Bike Gearbox". I'm still pushing bigger gears and stand up a lot on climbs rather than hunting the easy ones and climbing in the seat however I'll need to give that more of a go next time, seem to think I'm still on the road chasing some mad ass roadie down infront of me though all that spinning is still odd to me. It's real different riding for sure, I do like to just focus on the climb, put on my Lance Armstrong look and forget everything else :-)

Ben, I might have to hunt down Andersons and do that one before I head off to Alice, I remember you saying that it was darn good :-) Anyway legs have recovered ok, off to Regatta footpath racing tonight :-)

Pete
sandman

Postby Bnej » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Andersons is a killer compared to the Oaks... much more fun going down but also much more serious in the hill department. If you can ride up Andersons in reverse without getting off then you're a machine.

The two trails can be done together too, as Andersons goes from Wentworth Falls to Woodford.
Bnej

Re: The Oaks in the rain....wonderful :-)

Postby mortsraks » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 pm

sandman wrote:
I'm kinda working out that bike riding and suffering seem to go hand in hand for some reason :-)

Pete

HAHA ... I'm thinking, with permission, this will be my new signature!
2010 Giant Defy 2

Feel free to drop by my weight loss / training blog - http://www.hmfic-clothing.com/79point9/
mortsraks

Postby ozlegacy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:53 pm

heheh just saw this :D

Was definately a bit wet, and since they have graded it with all the sand its not as much fun anymore

And whoever is whining about granny gears try riding up that road on a roadie much much harder!!!

Definately need to the andersons I've heard the climb up from the creek is a killler, just need to wait for some snow for that one :twisted:
Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37465
ozlegacy

Postby Wollemi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Story no. 1
Three years ago went on a date doing The Oaks FT. Had met her once in Sydney for coffee a fortnight before... She rang me - 'I'm on the train'. I couldn't believe it - it was pouring rain at my lower Blueys home. Mid-July. Grabbed some stuff and extra lycra and met up. She loved it, but predictably, was shivering badly well before the shelter. I made her change into dry clothes of mine and later we sat absolutely soaked again in a Glenbrook cafe. Interesting woman...

Story no. 2
At the end of the winter yachting races on Sydney in September, the skipper decides he and I were going to do The Ingar/Murphy's Glen FT and The Oaks FT together. 3h 57min from Wentworth Falls Rail station to Glenbrook rail station via Horderns lookout and an indiscreet walking track/scrubby single track about 3km S of where Ingar starts. I had a rear slick and cycled up every hill, much to my own surprise!

Story no. 3
Commuting home after afternoon shifts in the upper mountains once saw me do The Anderson's alone. Had left Leura Mall at 10pm. To do it at night later paid dividends through positive self-talk and reflection of 'flying-blind' when the currents were against me and I paddled the last 20 km from Flinders Island to Deal Island at night, pulling off a 1.00 am surf landing in the middle of Bass Strait.
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...
Wollemi

Return to MTB