Yarramundi 4hr Sunday 11th

Mountainbiking central

Yarramundi 4hr Sunday 11th

Postby leximack » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 pm

anyone going to Yarramundi 4hr on Sunday.
I am going solo, team name "Footpath Racer" :lol: , testing out my new TWE wheels, shoudl be a fun day

Don
leximack

by BNA » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 am

BNA

Postby Bnej » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 am

See you there!
Bnej

Postby Spiza » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 am

Let us know how you go guys.

Don, Will be interesting if you notice much of an improvement with the new wheels.

Cheers,
Spiz
Spiza

Postby leximack » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:01 pm

will put up a full report and garmin stats later as i have to go out, but just quickly

FUN - YES
New TWE Wheels - Awesome - worth every cent
Ripped the sidewall off a brand new crossmark thanks to dodgy steel crate and had to limp it back home with 20psi in a new tube - YES
Rode 9 laps - YES
Got a sore backside - YES
Keith stacks it on 2nd lap and KO's his front wheel - YES

More later

Don
leximack

Postby Spiza » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:30 pm

:lol: Can't wait for the full report Don.
I hope Keith is OK ond not KO 'ed :shock:. It's an extreme way for him to get those new wheels he wants, but it might just work :lol:
Spiza

Postby Bnej » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Did 8 laps, looked for Don but didn't see.

Actually finished the last lap at something like 3:59:57 and could have started a new lap, but was out of water and seriously suffering.

Best result for me at Yarramundie so far, and no crashes!
Bnej

Postby leximack » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Was a good day today, really enjoyed myself. The track was really good, about 6.2km long and with hardly any major hills, mostly small pinches, was no granny gear stuff (well not for the first few laps anyway :lol: ), there was one section that was tough, technical ascent that i didnt want to try with lots of riding still to go, was not alone, onl saw a handful of riders clear it. Race started late, about 8.30 or so, this made for alot of hanging around in the mornign as i got there before 7. I parked close to the track so i could leave my esky behind the car in the shade so i coudl swap water bottles and grab food easily, this worked well except i was a bit slow doing it so wasted lots of time, also chatting to others while i stopped also held me up a bit. First lap was very slow, peak hr traffic for the whole lap, so just cruised around. Was a good way to check out the course anyway, when half way through my 2nd lap i saw Keith sitting with his wife and brother having a chat, i thought WT?, he did one lap and is stopped for a rest, weird but atleast i knew i wouldnt come last :lol: . Went by and when a few kms into my 3rd lap i come across Keith walking up the track (he was on his 2nd lap), i thought he had a flat or broke a chain or something, when i got closer i saw his front wheel, it was not in a good way, looked like a squashed banana :lol: , apparantly had a major off on a jump and went over the bars (not sure, maybe he can clarify), he was a bit sore but otherwise Ok so i kept going. My plan was to go as fast as i could whilst keeping my HR under 170, i know i can run at 170 or lower for considerable time, this went well and was feeling good. Was giving tghe new TWE wheels a work out, they are awesome, roll great, faster acceleration, pinch climbs i would struggle on seemed alot easier, so really happy with them. I was stopping every 2 laps to change water bottles for a cold one and grab a quick bite to eat, as i said before this was good except i was just too slow doing it, need to get in and out faster.
On my 7th lap i ripped a hole in the sidewall of my tyre, nice gash out of it ( a steel grate had come apart and i caught the end of it that was sticking out), tube got slashed also and went down in 0.0000001 of a second. Put in a new tube but with the gash i could not pump it up much as the tube wanted to pop put of the gash, i think i maybe had 20psi in it, OK but not ideal, kept on with the lap (had about 4km to go), didnt jump anything, just rolled my way around slowly, got back to the car and changed the tyre (lucky i carry a few spare tyres :lol: ), while changing the tyre the announcer said that there was 30mins to go, so i jumped back on and ripped around for lap 8, made it back to transition with 4 or 5mins to spare so went around for lap 9. I was hoping for 10 laps and would of got it without my tyre delays, could of got 11 i think with no tyre drameas and better stops, bit thats racing.
Official results has me as doing 11 laps (WT?) think they threw in a couple of freebies for me, so with 9 laps i would be in about 35th or something, not bad i guess out of 100 solo riders.
I had fun though, enjoyed the course alot, gave the new wheels a work out and they performed very well. Bad luck to Keith, but atleast you can get the new wheelset now :lol:
I will post up Garmin stats tomorrow.
Guesstimate though i think i did 57km, average moving speed was 14.9 i think.

Don
leximack

Postby Spiza » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 am

Well done guys.

One thing I can't work out though,
leximack wrote: when i got closer i saw his front wheel, it was not in a good way, looked like a squashed banana :lol:

How the hell did Keith get his wheel to look like this :!: :lol:

Spiza

Postby leximack » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:19 am

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 am

here is Keiths wheel - i guess it doesnt look like a squashed banana afterall :lol:

leximack

Postby Spiza » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 am

WOW! He buckled that good!
Last edited by Spiza on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiza

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 am

I don't see what the problem is. Being a lefty fork the wheel should still turn shouldn't it? ;-)
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Giant Rider » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 am

Almost if it had been about 5 mil less i could have kept going, as the hub and rotor where'nt buckled
Keith - Gravity is both my best friend and my worst enemy!!

FPR slow (FAT) arse

Roadie : 12 BMC RM01 RaceMachine
Roadie : 10 BMC SLX01 RaceMaster (Cracked - warranty replacement)
Roadie : 06 Giant OCR 1.0 - Sold
Mountain : 07 Cannondale Rush (XTR)
Giant Rider

Postby aeroslave » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 am

Giant Rider wrote:Almost if it had been about 5 mil less i could have kept going, as the hub and rotor where'nt buckled

hope everything will turn out ok Keith...both you and the upgrade!
aeroslave

Postby b4igo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Well it was my first MTB event, after only about 4 or 5 months of casual mountain biking. I'd only been "offroad" maybe half a dozen times, and to say the least, I was under-prepared. But still had a great time, attempted some parts of the track I probably shouldn't have, and got lots of friendly encouragement around the track.

I went out too hard on the first lap, and had to cruise around the back half in an attempt to get my heart rate back down. However I wasn't used to riding such consistently turning and changing tracks, and I struggled to recover. I think that pretty much sealed my fate for the rest of the day.

I only managed 3 laps, but with my arms giving out, and two offs on the third lap (one wash out, one over the front/side), I knew I could be in some serious trouble if I tried to push for another lap.

Other riders were going through me faster than a dodgy vindaloo. I did my best to stay out of everyone's way, so I hope I didn't hinder anyone unduly. I only got a friendly hurry up at once at the creek crossing, as faster riders approached from behind. Understandable though - I wouldn't have wanted to end up in the creek after being balked, either. :)

Yellowmundee 1, B4IG0 0.

But, I will be back for revenge!!!
b4igo

Return to MTB