How much is it worth?

Mountainbiking central

How much is it worth?

Postby grantc84 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:57 am

Hey guys I am thinking of selling my dual suspension to get a hard tail. I dont ride tracks rough enough to justify having it and I find it annoying to ride when just wanting to ride casual with the mrs along bike paths etc and havent got room for 2 bikes of my own ( or have been told I dont have room is more like it )

I am not sure how much it is worth exactly but just after a ball park figure. It is a GT i-drive5 3.0 model. It is in pretty good condition.
grantc84

by BNA » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 am

BNA

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 am

What specifically is annoying you? Is it perhaps something that might be cured by fitting high-pressure slicks like Serfas Baristas?

I have a set of these in 26x1.25 fitted to my Cannondale and the difference in pedalling compared to the knobblies was, well, startling. :shock:
trailgumby

Postby grantc84 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 am

Rear suspension doesn't lock out and as a heavier rider pumping it up to its max psi it still has some sag. I am hoping to use the hard tail as a work commuter for a while as well and really dont want to have 3 bikes down the track as its just not practical for storage.
grantc84

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm

OK, not sure if I'm teaching you to suck eggs (sorry, if I am):

Suspension is supposed to have some sag. Between 25% (XC) to 33%(DH). It allows the wheel to drop into depressions and keep your tyre in contact with the ground. I have mine pumped up to provide about 25% at both ends for trail riding.

Pedal bob is only a problem with my dually when I'm up out of the saddle stomping my way up an uphill pinch - in all, probably only 400m of my 20km commute. The rest of the time I sit and spin up the climbs, and I end up reeling in and passing the out-of-saddle stompers anyway. And that's with a pretty plush 130mm travel bike

But if you're planning on doing any decent commute a hardtail with a lockout is probably the better alternative and is what I use when I'm not riding through the bush for part of my route to work. HT's are probably more versatile if a lot of your riding is on smooth trails or paved roads. Full sussers are less effort to ride for longer once the terrain gets rougher.
trailgumby

Postby grantc84 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 am

All good mate your just trying to help. I do understand how it works though.
I see what your saying about it only affects when out of the saddle which I guess I prob wouldn't be doing too much of anyway. I will suss it out wih the dually but just wanted an idea as thought I might upgrade to a better hardtail anyway for something different. Might save the money and get a road bike if I enjoy the commute.
grantc84

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 am

Can you explore the option of a new rear shock that does lock out? Then you can have the best of both worlds?
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.
glawrence2000

Postby grantc84 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 am

I might have a look at that today and see whats around. Any recomendations?
grantc84

Return to MTB