new track

bennysthe1

new track

Postby bennysthe1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm

I found a new track today.

You know that awesome feeling you get when you find a new bit of single track. Leaves still cover the ground, there's still spring in the branches laid over the track and you can only just work out where you are going, not that it slows you down at all. I felt that today. Im still pumped.

Congrats to whoever built the new single track at Farrell grove. Great job.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm assuming this is legal singletrack? If not, may I suggest you refrain from publicising it further. If you don't know the status, I'd assume it isn't legal. :)

Why the request? Well, the subject is a bit of a can of worms. If it's not legal the guy shouldn't have built it and its existence can do a lot of damage to the reputation of mountian biking - environmental vandalism and all that. There's been a lot of friction between mtbers and NPWS in NSW with bull-headedness on both sides and additional non-legal trails don't help.

Logging trails and natural fauna trails are a different issue when they're on state forestry land, but that's a different discussion.

Cheers!

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 pm

trailgumby wrote:I'm assuming this is legal singletrack? If not, may I suggest you refrain from publicising it further. If you don't know the status, I'd assume it isn't legal. :)

Why the request? Well, the subject is a bit of a can of worms. If it's not legal the guy shouldn't have built it and its existence can do a lot of damage to the reputation of mountian biking - environmental vandalism and all that. There's been a lot of friction between mtbers and NPWS in NSW with bull-headedness on both sides and additional non-legal trails don't help.
If this is the Farrell Grove he's talking about, the MTB Singletracks appear to be fully sanctioned:

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/component/opti ... _download/

bennysthe1

Postby bennysthe1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 pm

:o

Sorry guys, didnt mean to stir the pot. IT IS LEGAL !

Like herzog says it is in Farrell Grove / Gungin Valley and all is goooood.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Well, if it's all legal then ... NO WORRIES! :D

And my congratulations to the parties responsibile for an awesome bit of trail advocacy work. Well, it's more than a bit of work. More like an ultramarathon.

Sorry for the rain-on-your-parade comments. If you care to hop on over to nobmob.com and check out the Ranger Danger section, you'll see some outstandingly officious and ill-informed comments from rangers about mtb use of national park land, and some outstandingly ill-judged comments (including one or two of my own) in response.

Trail advocacy is danged hard work and for anyone who has the patience and stamina required to navigate the multi-departmental bureaucracy to get a successful result, you have my heartfelt appreciation.

Now if we could just get that happening back east with NPWS...