Do I want a hardtail?

Deanj

Do I want a hardtail?

Postby Deanj » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Ok just sold my motorbike so have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. Sensible side of me says spend it on the garden, the other says a new bike. As I have an Epic, I'm thinking a hardtail could be the way to go, keeping the Epic for longer races. Or, a new duallie and sell my epic, only had it 12 months though so a shame to take a loss on it. What can you get for about $6k these days (hardtail wise) ? I've not really been keeping a close eye on price rises with bikes.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Do I want a hardtail?

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 pm

You're talking about racing it, right? If so, I got nuthin for ya, other than to suggest a lovely Ti custom built frame which should see you out for the next decade or so.

However, I'm having a ball on my SS rigid. Completely different ride to the Epic, which makes it a viable alternative to the Epic. It makes familiar, jaded tracks interesting again. A fun machine, but not a racer.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm

That's enough carbon to float a small South Pacific island! :shock: :) Pretty though.
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Yeah it will be for racing. A Ti frame would be great, but I reckon the Baums came in about $9000 before they removed the price lists last Oct ish time :shock:

Have noticed a few reviews of the KTMs on bikeradar over the last few months, look interesting. Have a habit of regularly breaking things on the mtb though, so local warranty is a must :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 pm

I want a handjob :shock: http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=15508 ...and I think it is only only a matter of weeks before I finally put my order in!.I know what you mean with local warranty Dean...but I am going to try my luck going back to steel...(broken 2 steels in the past!)...but these seem pretty good and I won't do much racing on it...just for Sunday playtime!...saying that I do worry that I may need to much seat post extension so maybe more research is needed!...Zipp 404 Clydesdales with Powertap hub might be on the way too :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:59 pm

GT Zaskar CF.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:52 am

I really like the look of the GTs and the 08 models got some great reviews last year.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:49 am

What size are you after?? Robbie's looks like a bargain

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=164422

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07 am

toolonglegs wrote:KTM make some very sweet HT's... :D
http://erez.show-360.cz/erez4/fsi4/fsi. ... _ktmmyr_01
I had a good look at some of the KTM roadies when I was in Austria last year...very nice bikes. If the MTB are a similar standard they'd be a great option. Its just a pity the dollar tanked and is now worth about 2c against the Euro.

Jim

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:40 pm

alchemist wrote:What size are you after?? Robbie's looks like a bargain

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=164422
Cheers for that, I never check the Farkin for sale threads (note to self).

I'd be a med, I'm pretty sure they use the same frame through the range so its worth some thought!

Z1

Postby Z1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 pm

any hardtail at 6K is going to be pretty awesome, there are some great local bike manufacturers who i'm sure could do a great custom frame especially aluminum or cf for that price. gotta test ride stuff though its the only way....

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:08 pm

I've not looked into it, but I'd be surprised if I could get a custom built XTR equipped bike for $6k?

Z1

Postby Z1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07 pm

it would depend on frame material (and probably limit it to steel or aluminum). so you definately want full XTR then??

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:10 am

Looking around the weekend XTR bikes were in about the 6-7k bracket, some were around the 10.5k :shock:

For the XT level (same frame) your around 4-5k, but then theres other component changes (wheels, brakes etc). Wheels I'm not to fussed over as I have 2 sets of stans wheels that I use for racing, so will probably sell what comes on the new bike. This will help things price wise as it will knock some money off the total cost for me. It will be a bike just for racing so will want to get the right package and don't want to go changing things straight away.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:28 pm

'09 Scalpels look good. Lock out the rear for climbing if desired, otherwise 4" of fairly firm travel at the rear with minimal/no bob. Fox internals with platform damping for the carbon lefty fork. You won't get XTR within that price range if buying new, but the fork is pretty light for a good overall package. Lifetime warranty on frame.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:'09 Scalpels look good. Lock out the rear for climbing if desired, otherwise 4" of fairly firm travel at the rear with minimal/no bob. Fox internals with platform damping for the carbon lefty fork. You won't get XTR within that price range if buying new, but the fork is pretty light for a good overall package. Lifetime warranty on frame.
For a HT Scott, what about the Scale 20?

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am

Deanj wrote:Looking around the weekend XTR bikes were in about the 6-7k bracket, some were around the 10.5k :shock:

For the XT level (same frame) your around 4-5k, but then theres other component changes (wheels, brakes etc). Wheels I'm not to fussed over as I have 2 sets of stans wheels that I use for racing, so will probably sell what comes on the new bike. This will help things price wise as it will knock some money off the total cost for me. It will be a bike just for racing so will want to get the right package and don't want to go changing things straight away.
There's a bloke over on the Farkin boards selling a near new Pivot Mach 4 with XTR bits near new at a substantial discount if it helps.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread ... ight=pivot

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Cheers for the thoughts, and thanks again Alchemist for pointing the ad out, a GT has been bought :wink:

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 pm

herzog wrote:
There's a bloke over on the Farkin boards selling a near new Pivot Mach 4 with XTR bits near new at a substantial discount if it helps.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread ... ight=pivot
Think they are in the 10-11 bracket with the XTR build, would just need longer legs :wink:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Deanj wrote:Cheers for the thoughts, and thanks again Alchemist for pointing the ad out, a GT has been bought :wink:
Looks like it will build up into a lovely HT. Congrats Dean.

Don't forget to show us the pics when done. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Will do! Sent out today, so hopefully have it the next couple of days.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Deanj wrote:
Think they are in the 10-11 bracket with the XTR build, would just need longer legs :wink:
And he's selling it for 6k!

Appears to be a good deal.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:22 am

toolonglegs wrote:I want a handjob :shock: http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=15508 ...and I think it is only only a matter of weeks before I finally put my order in!.I know what you mean with local warranty Dean...but I am going to try my luck going back to steel...(broken 2 steels in the past!)...but these seem pretty good and I won't do much racing on it...just for Sunday playtime!...saying that I do worry that I may need to much seat post extension so maybe more research is needed!...Zipp 404 Clydesdales with Powertap hub might be on the way too :D
I saw this and thought of you. Should be hard to break.
http://www.surlybikes.com/instigator.html
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/536- ... spx?s=1283

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 am

Nobody wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I want a handjob :shock: http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=15508 ...and I think it is only only a matter of weeks before I finally put my order in!.I know what you mean with local warranty Dean...but I am going to try my luck going back to steel...(broken 2 steels in the past!)...but these seem pretty good and I won't do much racing on it...just for Sunday playtime!...saying that I do worry that I may need to much seat post extension so maybe more research is needed!...Zipp 404 Clydesdales with Powertap hub might be on the way too :D
I saw this and thought of you. Should be hard to break.
http://www.surlybikes.com/instigator.html
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/536- ... spx?s=1283
:lol: Yeah looks pretty tough...and UGLY!!! :wink: ...I would always think someone with a huge arse had sat on my top tube!.