Riding alone - bad idea?

Mountainbiking central

Riding alone - bad idea?

Postby hitch » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 am

I'm "between jobs" right now and have a bit of spare time on my hands, and would like to check out a few places. Have heard that Lysterfield has a few good tracks, and have also been reading about the tracks at Forrest. I have a couple of mates that I often ride with, but because they aren't "between jobs", it wouldn't be possible for them to come with me. Is it dangerous/unsafe/not smart to go on my own? I sorta feel I'd be happy to, but don't really want to be one of those people on the news having had a search party out for them. I'm also not sure what mobile coverage is like in these areas. But I guess given both of these places are organised trails, and the next week or so it will still be school holidays, there should be a few people around...

Am I just being a bit of a girl?
hitch

by BNA » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 am

BNA

Re: Riding alone - bad idea?

Postby Orion » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 am

Hi hitch

I always ride alone as I don't know any other people who like to ride. I take a mobile phone with me but haven't had to use it yet (touch wood). I think as long as your careful and don't do anything silly you should be fine. But in the end, it all boils down to what you are comfortable with doing. Do you prefer the "isolation" of riding alone (I do) or would you prefer to have company?

It's your call. But whatever you do - enjoy it :D
Good luck
Brad
Orion

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 am

Lysterfield is fine for riding alone on - there are people there at all hours of the the day (daylight hours, anyway). I don't know about Forrest - never been there.

You shouldn't go out into the bush alone until you're very confident in your knowledge of the track and have contingencies in place, should you injure yourself.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:35 pm

I ride solo all the time, I'm an anti social sorta git.
Be prepared with a first aid kit and a suitable toolkit as well as comms.
Let someone know where you're going.
Eyeball and walk if possible everything you aren't familiar with before riding.
Relax and enjoy yourself, you're less likely to stack and more likely to bounce if you do. :lol:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby pooja84 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 pm

My advice would be better not go alone. It would be dangerous going alone in the forest because bad incidents do happen. I would rather suggest to wait for some time and enjoy riding with your friends.
pooja84

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Recently I would have said, "depends on your skill levels, how familiar you are with the trail, and how technical it is". But a moment's inattention 3 weeks go on a relatively straightforward trail section I've ridden dozens of times meant a trip in an ambulance to the local emergency department to get my shoulder put back in it's socket.

I had my phone - and my son - with me, fortunately, and it was in a suburban area, so it turned out reasonably well, apart from the ambulance bill and the injury itself and its consequences. If I'd been on a remote trail, by myself, with no phone it would have been a lot more dire.

From my recent experience, what I would now say is: It's better not to, but if you must go alone, keep it to popular non-technical trails. Have a fully charged mobile phone with you at all times and let other people know where you're going and when you expect to return.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Return to MTB