Anyone here riding a 29" MTB ?

Mountainbiking central

Anyone here riding a 29" MTB ?

Postby sandman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi all

Anyone here riding a MTB with 29" wheels ? I've had a good look at one today and I was most impressed, the thing I like the most is it feels a lot like my road bike. I ride a Mongoose Canaan Elite and while its nice and rides well, the 29" beast just feels so much more natural to me..

Any thoughts and brands that make a nice 29" ?

Ta Sandman
sandman

by BNA » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:33 pm

BNA

Re: Anyone here riding a 29" MTB ?

Postby MountGower » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby DionM » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 pm

I have been thinking about one as well, to replace my Yukon MTB that has been pressed into service as a commuter (I'm trying to like a hybrid, but I don't think its going to work for me).

For me I think it is a logical choice, given I'm 2m tall - big guy, big bike ... big wheels. From what I've read, also means a better COG for when doing trailwork.

I'm also thinking about dual suspension - but reasonably priced dual suspension 29ers seem ... err ... pretty rare!
DionM

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:30 pm

From MTBR 29" FAQ thread. I'm a bit skeptical about the percentages listed below.

Question: Quick and dirty, give me a list of 29" vs. 26", which wins where, concept-wise?
Answer:
29" Pro's:
Rolling resistance (by some 10%)
Bearing resistance and wear (by some 10%)
Tire wear (by at least 10%)
Roll-over stability climbing and descending
Overall comfort over a ride
Grip and cornering balance
Traction
Pinch-flat resistance

26" Pro's :
Weight (300-400g lighter on the complete hardtail bike, all else being equal)
Due to this weigth advantage : faster acceleration, by around 2%
Wheelies are easier, the front lifts more easily.
Flickability in extremely tight corners (where walking would actually be faster)
Wheel stiffness, at least when using hubs of equal flange spacing
Nobody

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 am

MountGower wrote: I can see a time as soon as two years from now when all MTBs are 29ers and people will laugh about the old days.

I dunno, certainly they are growing and have some clear benefits, but there are also some disadvantages of the format.

The wheels are heavier, not as strong, and there's far less choice of wheel/fork/tyre etc. It's particularly an issue if you want to run tubeless UST tyres - very few choices.

Foot overlap can be an issue, and they are less nimble in the tight stuff.

Another format that is generating some talk is to have a larger 27.5" wheel on the front and a regular 26" on the back.

Gives you better rollover on obstacles than a standard 26", without the ponderous handling of a 29er.

Having said that, I think the 26" wheel will remain the standard.
herzog

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 am

I've put 700c wheels on my commuter with 23c tyres - it makes a huge difference in ride comfort and the ability to roll over imperfections on the road compared to 26" wheels with 32c slicks. I had the thought when I went back and checked the rock that I hit that sent me OTB when I crashed and dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago, that if I'd had 29" wheels on I may not have gone over the bars.

The only problem is that 29" duallies around $4k with 5" travel are very hard to come by with decent equipment levels, and simply not available at all secondhand. Since I tend to run the generic Maxxis Ignitor/Larsen TT/Crossmark combo, I'm not too worried about tyres. You don't need tubeless tyres to run tubeless, thanks to the wonders of a little cup of Stan's. :D

I reckon 29ers will grab a larger part of the market, especially for taller blokes like me (6'1" / 185cm).
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks guys for all of the feedback. I think I'll take my friends ride out for a weekend and try it out on the Larapinta Trail. I think the bike would out perform in the rolling sections of the trail but would be interesting in the tighter technical parts. He likes to ride with flat pedals as he gets uncomfortable being clipped in around the rocky tighter parts so I wont expect to do magic stuff climbing hills either as you cant pull on the darm pedals :-) I've kicked his butt easily on the climbs already so if I go 29", definately clip-ins AND hard tail ! :-)

Sandman
sandman

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am

sandman wrote:Thanks guys for all of the feedback. I think I'll take my friends ride out for a weekend and try it out on the Larapinta Trail. I think the bike would out perform in the rolling sections of the trail but would be interesting in the tighter technical parts. He likes to ride with flat pedals as he gets uncomfortable being clipped in around the rocky tighter parts so I wont expect to do magic stuff climbing hills either as you cant pull on the darm pedals :-) I've kicked his butt easily on the climbs already so if I go 29", definately clip-ins AND hard tail ! :-)

Sandman

G'day Sandman,

Can you take your pedals along and swap them onto his bike? It only takes a second or two, and you'll get a better feel for what the bike can do.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Graeme

Bloody good idea mate :-)
sandman

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Ta - my wife tells me I'm full of them. Well, full of something, anyway ... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to MTB