Bottom Bracket Question - Replacing Sealed with 3 peice

Mountainbiking central

Bottom Bracket Question - Replacing Sealed with 3 peice

Postby VRossi » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Hello all,

I am not a pro nor that rich (student). I have two MTN bikes. Both have shimano parts/brackets. New one has sealed bottom bracket gone bad. The old one (good for parts) has good bracket but it is older 3 peice bracket. Both new and old are same sized Bracket Shell in frames.

My question: Can I swap/replace newer sealed bracket (gone bad) with older style bracket from the old bike . Are the shells for these two same with threads inside?

Thanks so much!

VRossi
VRossi

by BNA » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am

BNA

Re: Bottom Bracket Question - Replacing Sealed with 3 peice

Postby ausdb » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am

VRossi wrote:Hello all,
I am not a pro nor that rich (student). I have two MTN bikes. Both have shimano parts/brackets. New one has sealed bottom bracket gone bad. The old one (good for parts) has good bracket but it is older 3 peice bracket. Both new and old are same sized Bracket Shell in frames.
My question: Can I swap/replace newer sealed bracket (gone bad) with older style bracket from the old bike . Are the shells for these two same with threads inside?

More than likely both bikes will have english / BSA threaded bottom bracket shells, it would be unusual to find italian threads on an mtb unless it was european what brand of bikes are they?
Apart from measuring the shell width of the bottom bracket are the spindles the same length? as that will affect your front derailleur setup if different.
As for replacing a sealed unit with a three piece, what sort of riding do you do? on road commuting or actual mountain biking and do you ride in the rain much? A 3 piece bottom bracket is a higher maintenance item than a sealed unit, lots of real mtb'ing or riding in the wet is going to need more maintenance.
But in a nutshell it can't hurt to try :) you may need to find a friendly LBS to help you get the old BB out if it has the splined type of interface on the cups.
ausdb

Re: Bottom Bracket Question - Replacing Sealed with 3 peice

Postby VRossi » Sat May 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Sorry for the late reply. You gave me good advice, Thanks! They both are Apollo. New one is Apollo Vandetta. As regards to my MTBiking, I just use it to ride to the Uni; nothing major. I will try to swap it. Don't have the right tools and repair shops will cost a lot I reckon :(.
VRossi

Return to MTB