2009 Giant Talon...

Mountainbiking central

2009 Giant Talon...

Postby astro » Sat May 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi y'all,
Any owners out there wanting to share experiences please?

Cheers,
Astro
'12 Avanti Inc 1
astro

by BNA » Sun May 17, 2009 6:14 pm

BNA

Re: 2009 Giant Talon...

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 17, 2009 6:14 pm

No direct experience, but I have looked very closely at one as a replacement for my first commuter, and almost bought it. Nice bike, well specced for the money, robust.

I ended up getting a secondhand cannondale hardtail instead, as it complemented my trails bike better.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Robski » Sun May 17, 2009 8:05 pm

i've got one and can't fault it. i got it as a christmas present and have used it for a few longer off road rides as well as a bit of commuting and i think it's fantastic.
it's not the lightest bike around and i swapped over the tyres to crossmarks when i got it, but it's definately reliable and a hell of a lot of fun off road..
Robski

Postby rocketeer » Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 pm

I have the 08 model, pretty much same as 09, so I payed sub $1000 for it back when prices were lower and it was great value for money. Have it set up as a commuter, and while good, it is heavy. Am about to put offroad tyres back on to have more fun with it. At the price point its good, but if I was doing it again, would go for the XTC2 being slightly lighter/better specced.
rocketeer

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 am

The difference is the XTC2 is indeed lighter, but not as strong - rims being a case in point. TheTalon I looked at had nice beefy Sun rims laced to hubs I can't remember. The XTC2 wheelset was not as strong. Given my penchant for finding ways to "play" on the ride to work, and my experience with some of the nasty road surfaces busting spokes on my then-current ride, I was tending towards the Talon. For longevity I reckon your original purchase is the go. Mmmmm ... I suppose you could go the XTC2 and buy some commuting wheels - as I've done with my Cannondale hardtail.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby rocketeer » Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Just added some pics of my 08 to Bike Gallery

edit: changes included Geax Evo tyres (just taken the slicks off to go back to off road tyres, these are a bit heavy but better the the original hutch tyres on the road). Flipped stem, 560mm Flatbar.
rocketeer

Return to MTB