Updated 10/7/09: Manly Dam trail closed

Mountainbiking central

Updated 10/7/09: Manly Dam trail closed

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Just received from the rangers via email:

The bike trail at Manly Dam is currently CLOSED due to the recent heavy rain and wet track conditions. We'll send out a note when we've reopened. Please spread the word to others.
Anyone wishing to be added to the mailing list can email us at: [email protected]
Thanks for your cooperation.
Manly Dam Rangers

EDIT 10/7:
The tracks at Terry Hills such as Duck Holes, Centre and Perimeter tracks drain much better and withstand wet weather use reasonably well providing it's not too extreme. Directions and route maps can be found at http://nobmob.com
Last edited by trailgumby on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

by BNA » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:12 pm

BNA

Re: Manly Dam trail closed due to wet weather

Postby Chanboy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Anyone know if Manly Dam MTB trail is still closed? Considering giving it a run next week maybe...
Chanboy

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 pm

No update yet - woudl be wise to assume it's still closed until email's sent indicating it's re-opened.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

trailgumby

Postby black4tress » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:43 am

trailgumby wrote:No update yet - woudl be wise to assume it's still closed until email's sent indicating it's re-opened.

That would be unbelievable if its still closed unless they are doing some sort of maintanance or repair. There's been no rain for the last 4 days !!!

tc

EDIT - I have just checked and it is now open http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/communi ... iking.aspx
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]
black4tress

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 am

black4tress wrote:That would be unbelievable if its still closed unless they are doing some sort of maintanance or repair. There's been no rain for the last 4 days !!!

EDIT - I have just checked and it is now open http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/communi ... iking.aspx

You'll have noticed the comment towards the bottom of the page you quoted the link for mentioned boggy areas.

There are a few of these around the dam trail, not just the bottom of the fire road at the northern perimeter. These often take up to several weeks to dry out properly, so I'm less amazed that the track closure may be a week or more past the cessation of heavy rains.

trailgumby

Postby Chanboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am

I'll wait to later next week to give it a hit. Any one who's been on it in the last few days... please feel free to post a status update :-)
Chanboy

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:32 pm

I understand the trail has been opened again, as of last night. Looks like the notification wasn't sent to the full email list - not everybody got it.

Trail maintenance is scheduled to start on Monday on sections of the trail near Wakehust Parkway:

Please be advised that from Monday 15 June maintenance work will begin on sections of the Manly Dam mountain bike trail. Sections of the trail where work will occur include around Wakehurst Pkwy, Manning Road and Wandella Road. The purpose of these works is to maintain and improve access and sustainability of the trail by addressing areas of erosion and sediment movement. The work is expected to be complete in three weeks.

The trail will remain open whilst work is in progress. Work areas will have signs on the approach and riders may be asked to dismount and walk their bikes around the work zone. Your co-operation is appreciated.

Regards

Manly Dam Rangers

trailgumby

Postby tinhorn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:18 pm

i did it today for my first time.

track wasnt too wet - just a couple of puddles nothing too major.

But when you see the word 'technical' mentioned to describe it - they really mean it. it was alot harder than i expected and i think its almost impossible to do without touching the ground - requires alot of skill.
tinhorn

Postby Chanboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:12 am

If technical means lots of rocks and drop offs... that's manly dam!
Chanboy

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:00 pm

If you saw a bloke in jeans walking uphill against the traffic flow towards Allambie Heights around the middle of the day with a black T7 hoodie under his arm, that was me.

:oops: I think I spooked a newbie descending through the spot known as 19th Hole - the bit where you turn hard right off the boardwalk and then hard left to run through a series of mid-sized rock roll-offs before flowing into a kid's playground. I was well off to the right to give him room, but he stayed left on the middle roll-off and dropped his front wheel into the little channel on that side and went OTB in slow motion.

The guy lost a bit of bark and hurt his hand, but I think the worst was the hit to his confidence. We've gotta start somewhere, I suppose. It is possible to ride the trail without dabbing. I can do all the downhill bits, but the step-ups in a couple of spots on the Wakehurst Parkway side still get me. Take it easy - the tech descents bite if you get it wrong.

Apart from a couple of boggy bits, the track was quite tacky - great riding conditions. Only five months to go before I get back on a mtb... :roll:

trailgumby

Re: Updated: Manly Dam trail now open

Postby Chanboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Yeah I know a guy who does it religiously twice a week, once in the night time with strong lights, and once during a weekend day. Reckons he does it in about 45 mins or so...

and he still has to put his feet down or walk on a couple of places...

The first time I did it, I did it on a MTB that was XL frame (I am suited to a M)... I managed to do that series of rock drop offs on that bike... but only because I didn't know they were coming and couldn't stop once started. Felt awesome at the bottom, but I S*%(AT) myself while going through that bit... :-)
Chanboy

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Chanboy wrote:... I managed to do that series of rock drop offs on that bike... but only because I didn't know they were coming and couldn't stop once started. Felt awesome at the bottom, but I S*%(AT) myself while going through that bit... :-)

ROFLMAO - the picture you just put in my head: :shock: :lol:

You were lucky - pick the wrong line and it will easily end in tears, and you only need to be inches off for it to do so (eg, last drop onto the clay pan). By the sounds of it you've got it together now, though. :D

trailgumby

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 pm

I've done it in 46 and 48 minutes back to back, but never without putting a foot down.
The steep climb up the duck boards that culminates in some rock shelves and a sharp turn to the right at the top in the single track never fails to get me; I've never made that part.
One day I will - one day...
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.
glawrence2000

Postby Chanboy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:09 pm

with rain forecast for the rest of the week... doesn't look good...
Chanboy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Chanboy wrote:with rain forecast for the rest of the week... doesn't look good...

Been p*ssing down here in St Leonards for the last four hours...I'd say a closure is definite!
familyguy

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:40 pm

glawrence2000 wrote:The steep climb up the duck boards that culminates in some rock shelves and a sharp turn to the right at the top in the single track never fails to get me; I've never made that part.

Yep, know that one. I've seen one of the nobmob guys clean it, no-one else. I've almost made it once, but there are other parts I struggle with, mainly thru loss of traction and spinning the wheel. I took the Crossmark off and put the Larsen back on the rear the day I crashed and had been hoping that would help me with those bits, but it will be another few months before I can find out, now.

trailgumby

Postby black4tress » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 am

trailgumby wrote:
glawrence2000 wrote:The steep climb up the duck boards that culminates in some rock shelves and a sharp turn to the right at the top in the single track never fails to get me; I've never made that part.

Yep, know that one. I've seen one of the nobmob guys clean it, no-one else. I've almost made it once, but there are other parts I struggle with, mainly thru loss of traction and spinning the wheel. I took the Crossmark off and put the Larsen back on the rear the day I crashed and had been hoping that would help me with those bits, but it will be another few months before I can find out, now.

I think I know which one you guys are talking about. There are some very challenging bits around there. So many times have I tried to get up a few and half way up you just know you won't make it and in your mind your thinking "oh Showtime, Cr#p, F#%& I need to unclip .......... sometimes you unclip in time, sometimes you don't ;-)

Had my bike in the car yesterday and was about to leave early to get a ride in, but then the heavens opened up at midday. :cry:

Oh well, better luck next time.
black4tress

Postby jimbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 am

I do on average about 4 laps of the dam a week and can get around without unclipping about 25% of the time. The bits that tend to catch me out are a) the step ups (going to the left of the metal pole at the top), and b) the rock shelves after the duck boards as mentioned. If I am relaxed, flowing and committed then I tend to make these. If I push too hard or do not fully commit and get my body in the wrong position then chances are I don't make it.

With the rock shelves, swing to the left and then concentrate on keeping a straight line going into the first rock shelf.Speed is less important than a good line and being able to put down the power. Your body needs to be forward and as you hit the rock pull up on the bars to absorb the impact and keep traction, push your body further forwards and keep the power constant to the pedals. Don't worry if the back wheel starts to slip, just keep the power on and even. Repeat as you go up the 2nd rock shelf but try not to veer to the right or you'll risk slipping (especially if there is any moisture on the rocks).
jimbob

Postby Chanboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:46 am

This rain is so depressing... looks like the Dam will closed for ages the way its going... absolute down pour here in North Sydney today. The SMH's 28 day forecast predicts 24 out of 28 days will be raining! And to think it wasn't that long ago that we had serious water restrictions in place... :-(
Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Well went out and hit Manly Dam today.

Was an awesome day, bright clear sky, no wind, about 19C - pretty much perfect conditions for getting out and hitting a trail.

The trail on the other hand was still a small river. Not that that is a bad thing if you're looking to get really dirty. From the amount of water on it, I am surprised it's open, and I reckon it will be at least a week of dry weather before it gets back to "normal" dryness.

It was however, a hell of a lot of fun!

Unfortunately I stacked it pretty spectacularly about 1klm from the end, which damped the otherwise great ride out. No broken bones thankfully, bent the seat a bit, but nothing a bit of force wont reshape...

If you're going to give it a run this week, just be ready to get covered (head to foot) in sandy / gritty /muddy water.
Chanboy

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Chanboy wrote:The trail on the other hand was still a small river. Not that that is a bad thing if you're looking to get really dirty. From the amount of water on it, I am surprised it's open, and I reckon it will be at least a week of dry weather before it gets back to "normal" dryness.

It was however, a hell of a lot of fun!

If you're going to give it a run this week, just be ready to get covered (head to foot) in sandy / gritty /muddy water.

I'm glad you had fun. :D It's a great trail, and earns its popularity.

[Puts on schoolmarm hat]
However, on behalf of the local riders, trail fairies, and the council, I'd ask that you exercise your judgement and not ride the trail when it's in that condition. Riding the trail when it's so saturated does huge amounts of damage to the fragile soils from which the trails are comprised. Several years worth of dry trail erosion can be done in a single day's use in wet weather on a poorly drained trail section. Manly Dam has quite a few of these, as you've commented.

Further, we are trying to get NPWS to work with us, to try and reopen and/or build sustainable trails so we can again get access to Bantry Bay and other parts of Garigal. I can tell you that when they visited Manly Dam recently in the company of WSC rangers, and saw riders still riding the trail in muddy conditions, they were far from impressed. It has not helped our cause.

May I suggest that if you have an undeniable urge to ride (and who doesn't get that from time to time :D ) then the Perimeter/Centre/Duck Hole Track loop at Terrry Hills would be more suitable. That trail drains quite well. Being less muddy would also do less damage to your bike.
[/removes schoolmarm hat]

Visit nobmob.com for the details, including trail maps. They're a great bunch of guys and gals and will be happy to have you join their rides if you're a member of their forum.

Hope to see you around. :D

trailgumby

Postby Chanboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:53 pm

The difficulty is, you can't tell how bad it is till you've done it... there isn't any good system of informing riders of trail conditions. The first part of it is actually pretty good... so you push on, then you get some wet patches, and you think, will it get better or worse...?

I agree, it's not good conditions to be riding in.

There must be some reason the trail isn't closed, I have to assume the rangers have determined it is ok for riding... If it's not ok for riding, there needs to be signs posted... because it's the sort of track that once started, its pretty hard to turn back...

What I can do (and others) is post a review like I have done here, so others can make informed decisions if they want to ride or not.
Chanboy

Postby Pedalhead » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:04 am

With all the persistent rain we have had last week, that should have been the decider NOT to ride until the rain had/has stopped for at least a few days or even a week.
It rained 8 days straight, ok, not all in one area but it was very coastal. Even Appin was fairly wet on Sunday.
It's harder on your gear and deteriates the tracks. WE don't want any more closures, do you?
Pedalhead

Postby black4tress » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 am

Has anyone ridden Manly Dam on the weekend ? Hows the track ? Ok to ride or not ?

Thanks
black4tress

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Standing water still in lots of areas. Very boggy in others. I live about 300m from the 19th Hole trailhead, and despite it not having rained for a week it is still very slushy on the nature strips in most streets. Heaven knows what the trail proper is like - I've only walked parts of it. The guys at Bike Addiction have all elected to not ride the Dam because "It's not the right thing to do".

Try Red Hill.

trailgumby

Next

Return to MTB