First real MTB ride

astro

First real MTB ride

Postby astro » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi MTBers,
Well I had my first real MTB ride yesterday. Have been riding my roady for about 3 months now and still loving it. Love the speed and the training that it provides.

I bought a MTB mainly for commuting (through parklands, tracks, etc) but have a feeling that I'll be doing 50/50 with the roady. I had an absolute blast! Doing little jumps here and there, chucking it through some dirt (mud even!), it was great fun.

Not wanting ms roady to feel left out I got straight on her after the MTB blast. Boy was it strange! Like riding a new bike again. Its hard to imagine just how different the two styles of riding are until you put one after the other like that. I recall my first out of the saddle sprint to take off... I thought I was going to fall! Mind you, about a minute in I was fine again.

So all in all I'm a happy cyclist. I think the two will provide great cross training for one another. Can feel loads of new muscles that don't pop up on the roady

Taking a bit of time for me to get used to clipping in to the crank bros. pedals... But I'm sure it'll come. I've got Speedplays on the roady so they are waaay easy.

Anyway, no real questions or anything... Just wanted to share a happy experience with fellow bike riders! Look out trails!
Astro
Surly Steamroller

MountGower

Re: First real MTB ride

Postby MountGower » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:43 pm

G'day Astro

One thing I will never understand is the roadies I hear talk rubbish about MTB riding and MTB riders talking rubbish about road riding. Neither of them have a clue what they're talking about, because if they did, they just wouldn't say it. I go through phases where I just live for one or the other, but I never forget how good it was to ride the other bike and I'm soon enough back on it.

You just entered a very entertaining, diverse and satisfying new world. As with road riding there are many different categories. Enjoy finding the one you like the best and keep sharing those happy experiences with us.

astro

Postby astro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm

MountGower wrote:Neither of them have a clue what they're talking about, because if they did, they just wouldn't say it.
Further to that... I think if they did, they'd go out and buy the other and ride both! In the end they are the ones missing out coz they are both great fun! Well, I think so anyway. :D
Astro
Surly Steamroller

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 am

Way to go Astro, welcome to the dirty side of life. :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

matt#73

Postby matt#73 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Welcolme to fun in the dirt !

Im new to roadies and having a great time, really enjoy the fitness side of it. But for ME my heart still belongs to MTBing. I love getting on my Spark and belting through the bush bouncing off trees, hitting burms etc...

Any time on a bike is a good time...

Matt