Hardtail to Dual

tinhorn

Hardtail to Dual

Postby tinhorn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 am

Can anyone share their experiences from moving from a hardtail MTB to a dual suspension - i currently ride an oldish low end hardtail and am looking to buy a new bike and im wondering if a decent dual is worth an extra few hundred.

Thanks.

mountain tamer

Re: Hardtail to Dual

Postby mountain tamer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:41 am

*extra few thousand you mean? :wink:

What sort of bike are you thinking of buying? How much are you willing to spend? , I would suggest, i'm sure most others would back me up, I wouldnt even consider a dually under $2500 , If I was going to get a dually I prob wouldn't spend less than $3000. So unless you want to spend that much, I would just upgrade your HT.

thats my 2 cents anyways,

Cheers :)
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple:...
The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 am

+1 to Mountain Tamer's advice.

How much serious off-road riding do you do now? If you spend most of your time on paved surfaces, forget the upgrade. It's not worth it. If you spend a lot of time bombing through twisting single track and have already worked out how to pick a good line, a $2500 FS bike might make the rides more fun.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

rocketeer

Postby rocketeer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

But XC Dualies look da bomb! :twisted:

I am really tempted by some of the 09 clearance sales popping up now to upgrade to an 09 anthem x1 or similar.... not that i really need it...

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

I got a 2008 BMC Fourstroke03 full suspension ride late last year and I love it, it rips through the tracks, but I still get out on my hard tail as much as possible too [2008 Voodoo 29er]. It's a different sort of ride but no less energetic and mad.
You do have to spend a few buck, both of mine were over $4K each and you really do get what you pay for - or in the case of push bikes you get less [weight] for more money which is the big differentiator.

Think about your needs, growth potential in your riding and budget before getting into the expensive stuff - nah, bugger it, go get one.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Kalgrm wrote:+1 to Mountain Tamer's advice.
Haha, I'm pretty sure I stole your thunder Graeme. I should have probably cited you :lol: , since that was pretty much the exact advice you gave me a while ago. I thought I would take up your legacy :shock: 8)

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm

There was a very similar thread here recently. I'll post the same here as I did there, I just got a FS bike (1year old, $1500 scott reflex fx15) and it definitely makes riding more fun for me, I was a bit sceptical of dual suspension, but having one I really enjoy it. Makes a lot of rough tracks much more pleasant to ride. In my case it actually weighs less than my old hardtail. It's possible I'm not completely objective though, because I still thought it was pretty good last weekend when I accidentally left the rear suspension locked out after a short bit of bitumen. Thought it was not quite as plush as usual, but still took a couple of hills to realise :oops:

tinhorn

Postby tinhorn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Well ive pretty much converted my 4 year old poorly-maintained-untill-now hardtail into a commuter by putting slick tyres on it so im now left without any real ability to ride off road with it.

So i was looking at a new MTB and wondering if dual suspension is worth the extra money.

Basicly:

Half decent dual or good hardtail?

Because i dont have 3k to spend - wouldnt want to pay anymore than 2 grand and less than that would be nice.

Suggestions welcome. :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Work out your size, then: ebay. There are a couple of nice Cannondale duallies on there now.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm

tinhorn

Postby tinhorn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm

im 6'1" so thats 22"-23" right?

How hard is it to build a mtb, and is it better value?

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm 6'4", mostly legs and both of mine are 21" frames.
23" is a seriously large frame, try a few out at your LBS before deciding what's good for you.
You've got to feel confortable on it [in the bike] rather than perched on top or staddling something too big which extends your reach uncomfortably or unusually; as you're going to be on it for long stints, you need to be comfortable and feel in control of the situation.

Basically, If my toes don't clip the front wheel when I am clipped in and my knees don't hit the handlebars - I'm on the path to a good thing - there's more to it of course.

Think of the top bar, your back nad your arms as an equlateral triangle. With your back straight (bending at the hips) while seated and holding the bars with straight arms, your body should make the triangle.
If you're all bunched up - she's too small, if the triangle is all flat or unequal - she's too long. THough alot of it is about feel.

Hoope that is of some little use.

Gerard
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:05 am

I've also recently converted from a hardtail to dual (BMC Fourstroke) and it has made riding a lot more enjoyable and don't think I would ever go back to a Hardtail.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 pm

trailgumby wrote:Work out your size, then: ebay. There are a couple of nice Cannondale duallies on there now.
Well, there were. Had my eye on a medium Cannondale Jekyll for my youngster but some fool snaffled it on the buy it now! :evil:

:lol: :lol:

tinhorn

Postby tinhorn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:38 pm

After trying my mates dualie (giant trance 2 or 3) im really impressed. I wont' get the same thing but i'm defiantly sold on full suspension bikes now.

Have also decided that i'll get a new bike (just nicer).

thanks for responses.