Orbea vs Merida

Dukes426

Orbea vs Merida

Postby Dukes426 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a new mountain bike and i have around $1200 to spend. I know this money wont get me a race bike but i am after something with decent forks, at least deore derailleurs and decent hydraulic disks. I will be using it for xc and general all mountain riding.

I am looking at the Orbea Sherpa and Merida Matts TFS XC 400D though i cant decide between them. I have not ridden either of them as anything is better than my current ride, but i am really keen to hear what you guys have to say. I cant seem to find any reviews etc on these two bikes but they both seem like good bikes!
The specs are as follows:

Merida Matts TFS XC 400D
http://www.merida.com.au/en_AU/Bikes.Detail.46
SPEEDS27
FRAMEMatts TFS-Comp-Disc
COLORwhite (anthracite)
FORKSR XCM-H-D-LO 100 Lockout
DERAILLEURS F/RShimano Deore / Deore
REAR DERAILLEURShimano Deore
SHIFTER F/RShimano Deore Rapidfire
BRAKE LEVERSHayes Stroker Ryde
BRAKES F/RHayes Stroker Ryde 180/160 mm
FRONT DERAILLEURShimano Deore 34.9
BB SETShimano UN26
BRAKE FRONTHayes Stroker Ryde 180
BRAKE REARHayes Stroker Ryde 160
CHAINShimano CN-HG53
CHAINWHEELShimano M442 44-32-22
HUBS F/RShimano M475 Disc
SPOKESStainless Silver
RIMSMerida TFS Disc-Black
FREEWHEELShimano CS-HG50-9 11-32
TYRE F/RMerida RACE 2.1
STEMFSA OS-190 6°
SADDLEX-Mission Line
PEDALSXC Alloy
WEIGHT14,4kg (18")
RETAIL PRICEA$1,199 RRP (inc GST)

Orbea Sherpa
http://www.orbea.com.au/fly.aspx?layout ... 70&pid=465
Specifications
$1,199
Frame: MTB Sport
Frame Material: Hydroformed
Fork: Suntour XCR 09 LO 100mm
Bar: Orbea OCI OS Raised
Stem: Orbea OCI OS
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Crankset: Shimano FC443 Octalink
Front Dreailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Shadow
Brakes: Shimano BR-M486
Chain: Shimano HG 53
Wheels: Orbea DW Black Disc
Tyres: Hutchinson Python
Saddle: SR viper
Seatpost: Orbea OCI

I would greatly appreciate any comments on these bikes, or any other bikes within my price range.
Thanks

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Orbea vs Merida

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Dukes426 and welcome,

I guess the best bike is a bike that fits you and feels right and something that will not cause you trouble down the path later so getting a bike to fit right is a big deal when purchasing a retail bike. I'm sure the Merida are very fine bikes and I have heard allot of good about them so lets break this down. Forget about the components on each bike for a moment because no doubt in time you will break or do upgrades so both bikes will end up being awesome as will both be awesome with there current running gear. Not ever owning a Merida bike but owning 3 Orbea makes my opinion a little biased but then there is a reason for this and it's all about the frame and how there built. In my opinion frame is everything all the crap that gets bolted on is bolted on for a reason and that is to place the finished bike within a price bracket but the frame is what will be there still after all the other gear has been replaced or upgraded. If both bike feels and fit great then for me I would be going Orbea because of the superior quality in frame build so now you need someone that can give an opinion on a Merida but either way there both great quality bikes.

Ricky

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I brought a no name aluminium frame and added good parts to make it a good bike when all I could have done was check out this site.

http://cyclingdeal.rtrk.com.au/?scid=31770&kw=4351290

Now the frame is not a Trek and it isn't an orbea or merida but check out the running gear. Better forks and running gear than you can get on either of the bikes you mention. Worth a look I reckon anyhow.
Yesterday was an easy day.

Dukes426

Postby Dukes426 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Ricky and Brendancg,

Thanks for your posts.
Ricky - i am leaning towards the Orbea at the moment as everybody i have spoken to have said great things about this bike. Apparently their factory in china is an exact replica of the factory in spain. I have heard lots of great things about these bikes and you are absolutely right about the components - i can always upgrade when they break. Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Brendancg - i actually looked into these bikes. I agree with you 100% in that the parts are really good but there are a few questions on the frame. I have actually tried to research HASA but cant find any information on them. They have a website, but outside of this, i cant find anything else. To be honest, i think i would rather a brand name bike due to reputation, warranty etc. Thanks again for the suggestion - definitely something worth considering.

Thanks guys...
Dave

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:21 am

Dave hi and your welcome seems that you have done some research already and you are correct about Orbea's factory. One thing with Orbea frames is when there welded they are welded true to start with and not welded then placed in a press to get the frame straight like many of the other brands do. I think also that if you can get a frame that is a good fit you will be really happy with the bike and the transfer of power the frame handles but the only way to truly make up your mind is locate a shop that has each bike and go for a test ride and good luck with your decision making.

Ricky

muggah

Postby muggah » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the mix... you might want to check out a Scott Aspect 20 - I've seen them advertised for $1260

Specs:

Weight: 12.6kg
Frame: Hydroformed alloy
Fork: Rock Shox Dart - Lockout & rebound adjust
FD: Deore
RD: SLX shadow type
Shifters: Deore
Crankset: Shimano FC-M442 Octalink
Brakes: Shimano BR-M486 Hydr. Disc
Wheels: Alex XC-44 32h

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/produ ... /aspect_20

From what I can tell the spec is fairly similar to the Orbea & Merida but a bit of a fork and RD upgrade - they seem a pretty decent XC/trail bike for the money.
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 pm

brendancg wrote:I brought a no name aluminium frame and added good parts to make it a good bike when all I could have done was check out this site.

Now the frame is not a Trek and it isn't an orbea or merida but check out the running gear. Better forks and running gear than you can get on either of the bikes you mention. Worth a look I reckon anyhow.
I've just bought a Race 7.0 from these guys. It's my first MTB so I have nothing to compare it to, but its doing the job nicely so far - deals with Mt Stromlo and other Canberra trails no problem. Good value for money IMHO. Planning a full review for that section soon.

Cheers

CyclingDeal

Postby CyclingDeal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Jean wrote:
brendancg wrote:I brought a no name aluminium frame and added good parts to make it a good bike when all I could have done was check out this site.

I've just bought a Race 7.0 from these guys. It's my first MTB so I have nothing to compare it to, but its doing the job nicely so far - deals with Mt Stromlo and other Canberra trails no problem. Good value for money IMHO. Planning a full review for that section soon.

Cheers
Hi Jean, your photo is now on our website. enjoy the riding.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Cannondale

But... seriously. The Orbea is better!