Lighting the way ....

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm

A while back, we had a long thread on lighting that loosely covered:
- that lights get 'brighter' across the LED -> halogen -> HID progression,
- that new technology is always emerging that will improves capability,
- making your own can be (is?) fun,
- it's hard to have too much light, and
- real lights cost real money.
I questioned whether or not some riders were going a bit too far, so it's time to be humble and admit that what's more than fine for the road can be only just adequate for off-road.
I did my first off-road ride in the dark last night and I have to say that my Sigma Mirage EVO/EVO X set was OK, but I'd happily have more light. I rode some easy single track and some fire trails on Black Mountain. After fiddling with the aiming of the spot and spread beams, the fire trails were fine - more light would have let me go faster, but I think that I will go quicker anyway as it was my first time. The single track was OK - but only just, even though it was an order of magnitude easier than Stromlo.
I've re-read the earlier lighting thread and now it's time to think through how to improve things before the Scott 24 Hour.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Are your lights on your bars or helmet...if you have only one light has to be on your helmet.Also it is all about how much money you have to spend on lights.Also the problem with the 24hr will be the super long laps...headlight has to be good for 2 hours.

Aushiker

Re: Lighting the way ....

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:I did my first off-road ride in the dark last night and I have to say that my Sigma Mirage EVO/EVO X set was OK, but I'd happily have more light.
I am finding the same "problem" on the road, well bike paths where I have no street lighting. I must have had a rose coloured view of my past use of the earlier model of this light or my eyesight has got worse, but I am seriously looking to upgrade for next winter.

Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:25 pm

The new Ay-Up lights are on their shopping system now, not shipping yet, but it makes a very good light-for-bucks proposition.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Are your lights on your bars or helmet...if you have only one light has to be on your helmet.
The set has a 5W spread beam and a 10W spot. I had them both on my bars - only one battery and not enough cable to mount one on the bars and one on my helmet. I realise that being able to separate them would give different lighting capabilities.
toolonglegs wrote:Also it is all about how much money you have to spend on lights.
Sadly, I realise that too. :(
toolonglegs wrote:Also the problem with the 24hr will be the super long laps...headlight has to be good for 2 hours.
As a part of a six person team, I'll have several hours to recharge - and each team gets a power point - but the battery seems to take 6 - 8 hours to recharge. Unfortunately, I've never been able to be there at both the start and end of the re-charge period (ie. I leave it charging and it's always done when I get home / wake up).

ps. being a local and a Scout leader, let me know if you need some 'infrastructure' and I'll do whatever I can to help - I've got ready access to tents, eskies, gas cookers etc.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Thanks for the offer..that is very kind,I will let you know.We are going to be so trashed as a 3 man that I want to keep it simple.I have done it 3 times as a 4 man team.We even had Brad McGee on our team the first race which was the first 24hour back in 99 I think.The next year we came 3rd in the 4 man race...since then the kilo's have gone on and if I came in the top 50 now I would be flabergasted!!!.I then swore that I would only do it as a 6 man...which turned out to be a lot easier.But then after a couple of years off I decide to talk 2 mates into a 3 man...WHAT WAS I THINKING!!,I will be totally cruising on this one.
With the lights you have to have a helmet light...so if you only have one put it on your head not your bars...because when you hit the single track you can see where you are about to go instead of where your bars are pointing which is usually off into the bush.Either that or wait for one of those guys to go past with one of those LED car headlights on their head and stick to them like glue :wink: .The other thing to remember is if it is really cold it pretty much halfs your battery life.
It is going to be awesum!!!....my lungs and legs cant wait :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:51 am

Check out Australian Mountain Bike mag, there's a big test on LEDs vs HID this month.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am

You blokes are doing it the hard way. Just send someone through with a leaky can of petrol and a blow torch. The resulting blaze will not only light the way but will do wonders for your speed :twisted:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:39 am

Mulger bill wrote:Check out Australian Mountain Bike mag, there's a big test on LEDs vs HID this month.

Shaun
Can I guess which page has the full page ad for the lights rated best in the test? :wink:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

panda1971

Postby panda1971 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:17 pm

hi everyone been doing night rides for a long time now as i work from 6.30 - 4pm and i use these they are by far better then anything you will get in a bike shop, designed and built by cyclists. just check out the enduro model to see what im talking about...

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 pm

panda1971 wrote:hi everyone been doing night rides for a long time now as i work from 6.30 - 4pm and i use these they are by far better then anything you will get in a bike shop, designed and built by cyclists. just check out the enduro model to see what im talking about...
The lights that the panda was referring to were Ayup's of course - and I'm guessing that he means the 'Endurance' kits.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:37 pm

I was in a bike shop today, not one I would normally visit but it was next to the rest of my shopping. They were selling some lights to a bloke who'd just bought himself a new hybrid. It was a real eye opener for me, I didn't realise that 5 LED lights were so powerful and brilliant - mine must be a dud :roll:

Richard
[/sarcasm] for those that didn't pick it. 5 LEDs have their place, but it's not to see where you're going.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it